1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will the NKJV become the Next Version of the KJV?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

[Deleted at author's request]

[ October 18, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Specifically, she was on a committee that only recommended what level of English (grade level) that it should be maintained at and would read sections to make sure that they maintained that grade level. She had NO content input whatsoever. She did not admit to being a lesbian until after she had been hired and was not consulted after her announcement.

Do you think every single KJV translator was a Christian?

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

You are responsible for the source you quote, especially if you present it as fact. If you are not presenting it as fact, then you are spreading gossip. Either way you need to recant your statement.

Bro Tony

4. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

The source said that. Not me! </font>[/QUOTE]That's what you get for not checking your sources thoroughly. Twitchy fingers make for big legal errors. Be careful in future.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

[Deleted at author's request]

[ October 18, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

[deleted by request of author]

[ October 18, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the reason why you should document your source.

[ October 18, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

In my time on the board I have yet to read a KJVOist admit that they were wrong. And even when it is pointed out beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have spoken incorrectly, they cannot admit it. Not only that, but another of their buddies comes along and defends their inaccuricies simply because they are KJVO. I have seen the MV readers correct, teach and even apologize when shown to be factually wrong. What is up with that?

Bro Tony

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It is just as illegal for you to reprint libelous material. You should at least quote the source in the specific post, for yours and the boards protection; however, such posting is unnecessary and a slander against the Word of God.

I agree with Dr. Bob that KJVonlyism has not had a negative effect on the board. It has actually shown the real attitude of the KJVo individuals.

The KJVo theory seems to run on either the same level as the gospels or possibly even higher.

By telling a non-christian that they cannot read the NIV is an issue that could cost a soul and that KJVo person will be held responsible.

This is not to say that many other people are not good at spreading the gospel, but my point is that I have yet to see a KJVo church that is much into evangelising. Their growth is almost non-existent, at least in the churches I am aware of.

[ October 18, 2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

If it is offend, I apology about sodomite and the NIV business.

[ October 18, 2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

11. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

With this I recant my above statement, and am glad to see this first. Now it would be nice for others to follow suit.

Bro Tony

12. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Thank you, Askjo. Despite our usual disagreements, you have done something I have observed no other KJVOist do: apologize or stand corrected. No harm, no foul, now that you've stated that. :D

If I might ask, what is the name of the source? (If it is a personal acquaintance please don't feel compelled to reply, but if a written or online source would you please say?).

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

With this I recant my above statement, and am glad to see this first. Now it would be nice for others to follow suit.

Bro Tony
    </font>[/QUOTE]Please forgive me.

14. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Not my place brother. I just want to keep this discussion on the level of truth and facts regardless of what side of the issue we place ourselves. Let the discussion continue.

Bro Tony

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Askjo, I commend you and I am impressed that you would be concerned about offending someone, even if it goes against your belief system. Good for you! [​IMG]

[ October 18, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

17. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I would never say this to the Lord Jesus Christ because He wrote it!

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never say this to the Lord Jesus Christ because He wrote it! </font>[/QUOTE]That is scarey, Terry. Jesus WROTE the English Words "so spiritual" and "becoming fools"?

That implies a 100% inspiration of the 1611 Anglican Version translators. Is THAT what you truly hold to? ANOTHER act of inspiration in 1611?

As my Scandinavian friends would say, "Lutefisk".

19. manchester

manchester New Member

I think you meant KJV. The homosexuality of King James has NOTHING to do with the veracity of the KJV. The KJV was part and parcel of the king's behavior, but God can inspire regardless of him. Apology accepted.

20. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Ok, you actually overstated what your source said. The source says that the company that now owns Zondervan is Harper and Row, now called Harper Collins. Harper also publishes some books about homosexuality that articulate a pro-homosexual view.

This is called the genetic fallacy. E.g. If Harper publishes pro-homosexual books and now owns Zondervan, that means the NIV is "pro-homosexual." It assumes that what is true of the parts is thus true of the whole. This is false logic.

The question should be whether or not Zondervan publishes prohomosexual literature or books. The answer is "No."

Irony: Eerdmans has published a great deal of great literature for evangelicals, including a widely used, very, very conservative Bible Handbook. With regard to homosexuality, it has published one book called Against Nature compiled by a Dutchman who is gay. It looks at progay exegesis and exposition and theology and traditional exegesis, exposition, and theology regarding the subject. The editor, Pim Pronk, actually comes down on the traditional side himself, though he identifies as a gay man. He simply has come to a point in his own life where he understands that the church spends too much time villifying gays than it does ministering to them in love. Of course to KJVO's this seems "too liberal." Therefore, if we use the logic of the link regarding the NIV, Eerdmans is to be considered "progay," (even tho. the book itself is, ostensibly quite the opposite), and their Bible Handbook is to be sent to the trash bin.

Likewise, let's take a look at the KJV, using the same logic. We know that a good portion of the KJV translators affirmed baptismal regeneration of infants and James I even wished to "harrow out Baptists." Add to that the fact that the Byzantine texttype was preserved in the Greek Orthodox tradition, whose theology today is ostensibly Catholic and their Trinitarian formula is, well, no pun intended "unorthodox." Now, using the logic of the link above, why should we not abandon the KJV, since it must also be "tainted" by these elements?

Come to think of it, let's look at the link itself. The Link, if you go and just skim the site, advocates things like the keeping of the Jewish Sabbath...sound familar (cough, cough, Seventh Day Adventism, cough,cough...)...Surely, using the site's own logic, we should abandon anything they have to say as well.