1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will you be attending the Southern Baptist Convention

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 20, 2010.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish I could afford to go. I wouldn't attend, but I would use the money to replace my water heater (haven't had hot water since the end of January).

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    naaa...we will just enjoy meeting each other.:wavey:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lord I ask that you provide for his needs. In Jesus name Amen!:praying:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Last convention I attended was in Greensboro, NC

I always loved going and even served on one yr's Committee on Nominations when we lived in Mississippi---that was fun---met people from all over Mississippi and then attended a Comm on Nominations meeting in Nashville and met people from all over the USA----while I served on the committee the SBC "Flew" me to Nashville and then later to Greensboro----they also "Fed" me and "Furnished" my hotel

If you ever serve on Comm on Nominations----you can find out who your true "Friends" are------(phone rings in church office)----"Brother David!! You don't know me but my name is ___________ and I'd like to meet with you----saaaaaaaaay----over lunch-----how's Cracker Barrel on I-55 in Jackson sound to you????":thumbs::thumbs::laugh:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I don't disagree with you. I'm not one to enjoy the convention--that was my point (though I do think we should avoid some of the "sidetracking" that goes on). But yes, if we are to cooperate, then we have to handle our "business" issues.

You know, Southern Baptists can't stay out of a good rumble. C/A" = "Calvinism/Arminianism." This, and the new "great commission report," will probably be flash points.
    Some of the C/A stuff will come from churches who were "silently conquered" by ministers who came in, had an agenda but didn't tell the people, and then covertly re-made the church into his doctrinal view. Folks who have gone through that are wounded, and often angry. The convention isn't the best place for the discussion (the local church is), but I look for some spill-over.
    Disclaimer: Look folks, don't correct me--I simply tried to put it concisely. I know no one will be happy with how I "named" the argument.

If we would simply quit doing the stupid resolutions (except for the "thanks to the host" one)--then that might handle a bunch of it.

Resolutions are silly. They're not binding (autonomy of the local church), they have no power, and more often than not they either: 1) Start a conflict (when the resolution deals with an issue in which there is any disagreement); or 2) Brings out the yahoos. (This is of course more true in the state and (especially) associational conventions...but it seems to draw our nuttier brothers/sisters like flies to honey).

Do away w/resolutions. It'll make the convention shorter, better, and we'll get to the fried chicken before it gets cold.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I will be there. Going from Monday afternoon thru Wednesday. Would enjoy meeting at least some of you... :laugh:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not be able to attend, but if somebody is from Orlando is going to attend, maybe he could reccomend a place to meet all the BB's.

Personally I would reccommend Chick-fil-A as a meeting place

and here is a list of Radio stations

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I grew up 15 minutes from that Crackerbarrel.