1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will you be out witnessing this weekend?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. Spurgeon said that if a man doesn't have a zeal to share the Gospel with the lost, it's because he hasn't experienced it, himself.

Yes, but only after I heard the Gospel

I disagree. Our testimony doesn't explain the law to the lost and waiting for the lost to come to us, looking for our testimony, is not Biblical. Going to the lost, is.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would in no way discredit that purposed sharing the gospel is Biblical.

What I am stating is that without the character expressed through the fruits of the Holy Spirit, there is no witness - no testimony. James - show me your work (character)... He must have been from Missouri. :)

It is also true that the witness and testimony does not have to present to the person in a first hand fashion - such as one might do in street evangelism or knocking on door type visitation. That does not mean those ways are inappropriate, but not exclusionary.

For example:

When in prison, the guard overheard the witness and testimony given (prayer and praise). He burst into the cell demanding answers.

There is Scriptural example then that "waiting for the lost to come to us, looking for our testimony," is a Biblical practice . Another time would be the crowds that came and pressed up Christ to "see" for themselves what was reported.

However, there is also the example of Philip being taken to a specific place that the gospel be shared.

What believers should understand is that God uses both the prayer and praise conversations between believers in a restaurant that may be overheard in the next booth, just as much as the purposed direct - "I am going out to witness" - times.

The believer doesn't have a choice - they are a witness - they have a testimony.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As others have said...well said, well said. :thumbs:

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it the Gospel - or, more specifically, the Holy Spirit working through the Gospel - that saves? Or is it the character of the person sharing the Gospel?

Actually, it's not.

They were praising God, not witnessing to the jailer.

God uses all sorts of things. That doesn't mean that we're to ignore God.

So what witness are you giving when you don't care enough about the lost to share the Gospel with them?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you do with them once God answers that prayer?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a good question! Im curious, you obviously dont like the direction the local IFB is taking & you are not finding a Reformed Church to your liking.......so where would you send them......whats phase 2?

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am SBC and have not attended an IFB church since I was a kid. I do not send them anywhere I personally take time to invest my life in them to disciple them.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry...was directing my question to Evangelist.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the original question, I will not be "out" witnessing, I will be " in" witnessing.

Everyone is called to witness, or be a witness, in different capacities. For some, it is to be a witness by letting their light shine through their good works.

Others have been sent to the highways and byways. I think that our hearts burn for a particular demographic, or place, or someone who is where we once were

I have been called to the lost, in church. This is where I was. For 15 years my heart has ached for the lost who sit under ambiguous teaching, and leave each week in the same lost state because they never heard clear truth

My witnessing may be directly with an unbeliever, or it may be with those who peddle ambiguity.

For instance, recently there was a "convert" who said a "sinner's prayer" and was immediately scheduled for baptism three weeks later. The day comes around, and the convert is so excited. He said "today is my spiritual birthday"

I told that to his Sunday School teacher, and she fawned and said, "isn't that great?"

I raised an eyebrow and said, "ehh, I thought that happened a couple of weeks ago."

Her eyes got as big as saucers, and her entire frame slouched. I think the weight of the implication hit her with full strength, because she said "oh, my goodness."

She had been the one to supposedly lead him to Christ, yet had left him with the impression that baptism is the way to merit God's grace. And this is not a guess on my part, for he made that exact claim not long after that.

So I witness to the lost, in church. I don't presume to know what state anyone is in, I just preach Jesus, and Him crucified, in every setting there. Then I leave it in the hands of God to make a seed grow.

I'm at a different church now, with the same aim - to glorify the Son

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The part of knocking on doors that makes me a little queasy is not the message, but not knowing what is going to happen when someone opens the door. Also, I do agree that the more you do it, the easier it gets. I think I told BB this earlier, but on a mission trip to eastern KY a couple of years ago, a guy brought a box with him to the front door with a rattle snake in it. He asked me and my partner to stick our hands in it to test our faith. I did not know what to say at first, but after a few seconds, I wished him a good day and moved to the next door. That visit takes the cake of all the places I have been.

Everyone is called to share the Gospel, which is why I do not understand why so few people show up for planned visitations. When I say visitations, I mean either cold calling or trying to get a person that was once a regular attender back into church.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Florida Believer.

I appreciate your response. However what you have been taught is incorrect as the Bible clearly says that all of us are to be out witnessing. Leading someone to the Lord has nothing to do with a gifting or ability, but entirely on the Holy Spirit and will of God. Florida Believer I dare say you have been taught incorrectly and I desire to help you learn about Biblical Evangelism and the way Jesus did things. Here is a FREE book for you to read.

http://www.freewonderfulbook.com

Again the book has no cost if you order it from the page.

[​IMG]

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do not warn others of Hell how is that Biblical?

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the wrong one and not one supported from scripture and certainly not one that Jesus taught whom had allot to say about Hell.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you live? I hope you can be safe.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    excellent response.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not witnessing.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, well said...

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is. But what puzzles me is that their are Arminian whom are big on "soul winning" and are out witnessing weekly if possible.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly!!! Well said.

A great devotional

http://www.wayofthemasterminute.com

[​IMG]
    Friday, January 24, 2014
    Friendship Evangelism

Listen

If you saw someone who was about to drink deadly poison, what would you do? Would you warn him? Wouldn't there be a sense of urgency on your part to stop him from putting that cup to his lips? Would you passively become friends with him and let him drink as you talk with him about other things? "Friendship evangelism," which never warns people of any danger, is the ultimate betrayal of trust. How can we call ourselves that person's "friend" and not warn them? Friends don't let friends go to Hell. Who do you know who isn't saved? Why are you hesitating to warn them? How will you feel if today he or she is snatched into eternity and gone forever? Don't put off what you know you must do. There goes another minute. Gone forever. Go share your faith while you still have time.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What book did he say this brother?