1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will you read the Bible through this year? What plan?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by annsni, Dec 28, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you have a plan to read through the Bible this year? I just am finishing up reading through the Bible chronologically and it was wonderful. This year I will read through using the Discipleship Journal plan which has you read at 4 different points in the Scripture and has you only reading 25 days a month to allow you to either "fail" a bit or to use some of those extra days for further study. Here's a link to the brochure http://www.navpress.com/uploadedFiles/15074 BRP.dj.pdf and they also have the plan ready to print on bookmarks to mark the 4 sections.

So, do you just read through the whole Bible or do you follow a plan? Do you plan to do something different this year? One year I spent each month in a book and read it through each day. It was really interesting to do. So what's your plan?

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Ann,

I like the idea of a book a month. John MacArthur suggests bible study this way. Try to read the entire book each day for a week or two then do some word searches in Greek and read some commentaries, maybe even write a summary breaking it down into sections or topics. This method really sticks. Imagine having 12 books of the New Testament committed to memory, not word-for-word, but the context and application. I've read the bible through twice in a period, but it felt like a task or duty and not a joyful study.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Some publishers put out Bibles that are designed to help you read through God's Word in one year.

There are several versions available. Mine happens to be The Daily Devotional Bible by Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Basically it is set up to have you read two chapters in the OT, a reading in the Psalms (or part of one), a reading in Proverbs (or part of one), and a chapter in the NT. There is also a devotion for each day that it taken from some part of that day's reading.

It takes you from Genesis to Revelation in one year in portions that are easily read within about 15-20 minutes.

I've had mine for almost 20 years now.

(NOTE: Of course this is NOT intended to replace your in-depth Bible study on whatever the Lord puts on your heart to do. For me at least it does help me to keep the entirety of His Word in perspective [so I don't "lose sight of the forest for the trees"].)

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I read the Bible through several years ago. It was a good thing to do. I just followed a plan I found through Lifeway that would bring a bit more variety than Genesis straight through Revelation. I enjoyed it.

Last year I followed the Book of Common Prayer as the foundation for my daily disciplines.

That said I'm taking the next three years to follow the lectionary cycle and use some patristic resources to aid my study. Its fun and I'm looking forward to it.

One thing that I've recommended to some of our parishioners is to use a specialized chronological study Bible. There are some good ones out there.

One thing I do remind people is that if you are prone to set goals then get super discouraged when you have life happen and not meet them this could harm you more than help you. Thus I have recommended a lighter reading load that takes two or three years. Reading the NT one year and then the OT another is a good option. :)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - I did the "read through the Bible in a year" in two years. It just worked best for me and my schedule. That's what I like about this new plan - it allows for "failures". :)

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I won't read the Bible any differently in 2010 than I did in 2009. I don't believe reading scripture for the sake of reading scripture is automatically beneficial. One should study, not just read, scripture. Studying scripture often requires putting putting scripture down and doing some extrabiblical research.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Ann. I like the plan you posted and I've already printed it out. :)

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for jogging my memory here in these last days of 2009.It would do me good to read through again. I've done it a couple times before in a year, I can do it again, Lord willing.

9. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a forum on this board that reads through the Bible in a year and it is a great format.

You read for only the first 25 days of the month (last few days for study and go back if missed) and read from 3 or 4 books at the same time; about 4 chapters a day or so?

My question like stated before is will we have this again for 2010?

10. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I seem to be in the NT, Psalms and Proverbs a lot, have been for years. I would like to get my teeth into Job this year though.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We have started a study of Job in our weds. night bible study at church. We are up to chapter 5. It is GREAT! You will be blessed greatly by this book! :thumbsup:

12. David Michael Harris

It really is a wise book. All that he went through, all that his friends told him, all that he learnt and was rebuked on. At the end, was blessed by God. A must read and study I would say. :)

13. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Yes, I hope to read the Bible through in a year and I will probably use the plan from "Our Daily Bread" but I am not sure.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, did you follow a plan to read through the Bible chronologically? That sounds interesting. I might like to do that.

One time I followed the plan in the front of my Thomas Nelson ASV and the other time I started on page 1 and just read straight through on my own averaging 4-6 chapters a day, which I got more from than the plan. But the chronological plan you refer to appeals to me.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, I followed a plan. I'm not sure of the site where I got it from but I'm sure that you can google and find one for you. It was GREAT because I saw how it all fit together. I really enjoyed it and will absolutely do it again.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you do when you get to Esther,Obadiah, 1, 2 3 John, Jude, etc.? If you spread each one of those over a month you could be reading a couple words a day :eek:

17. David Michael Harris

NT can be read in a day.

The contents is another thing. Same with the OT.

Not sure I agree with this read it all one year thing.

When I was first a Christian I had this every day with Jesus thing. What a bind!

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've read through the Bible in a year in a different translation each of the past 4 years including study notes. The plan I'm on is a 5 day a week plan and is chronological in nature with a Psalm, OT and NT passage.
    I think it is a great way to discipline oneself to make Bible reading a habit, like many disciplines, they need to be worked on and perfected.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, you read through the entire book all at once each day. So you're reading the whole book each day for a period of time (30 days might be much but reading it through each day for a week and then spending time studying further that book for the rest of the month is a basic idea).

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here is a site that I have used before. You can pick from several different plans and translations.

http://www.bibleplan.org/