1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

William Carey University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JRG39402, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Do any of you have an opinion of William Carrey University (formerly William Carrey College) in Hattiesburg, MS? I am considering attending there and will be a religion major.

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm an alum of William Carey College, and i would recommend this school to ANYONE!
    Dr Kennedy, the current president, was the dean of the religion dept when i was there and a prof, and i had the opportunity to study under him. He really is a man of God and i have the utmost respect for him.
    The school has been making a number of upgrades in every area of student life over the last 10 years, and personally can't wait to get back to Hattiesburg in the near future to see some of them.

So, for what it's worth...i say check them out.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to BobbyD.

Hey Bobby,

I am glad to hear the good report on the University. Have they "spruced things up" any? My daughter was shopping for a college along about '99-2000 and we stopped by on a trip from Memphis to Destin and looked her over. I must say I was not at all impressed but rather depressed. It looked dull and drab and dreary and old and just plain tired I guess.

I was really embarrased at the time that one of our Baptist schools was in such sad shape campus wise. I really hope they have done something to overcme the perceptions that we had at the time.

Please come back and let me know if there have been any changes. I want to be fair and I know that what I saw and experienced is several years old now.

So, let me have it! And I know as a faithful alum you probably will; and I guess on some level I might deserve it! HA!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

99-2000 is about the same time that Dr Kennedy really started getting things moving in the right direction after the mess that was created by the previous president.
    They have been working on udated and renovating a number of buildings, which also includes a new baseball/softball facility and a soon to be renovation of the basketball gym. I also that they plan on renovating the admin building in the coming years also.

The reason Carey wasn't as impressive as i even would have liked had to do with a couple of things. One was the fact that Carey has always been in the shadow of Mississippi College, kind of the step-child in MS Baptist life...although i do think that is changing.
    Another problem is the fact that when the original buildings were erected they were placed in the center of the property. So when they had to start building in the back part of the property and had to put a drive in, it was on the back side of those buildins. Not the usually the most attractive part!

I would recommend just visiting the compus to anyone. Personally i haven't been there in a few years and i really need to get back for homecoming.

Hope this helped!

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Dr. Larry Kennedy, president of William Carey died today, please be in prayer for his family and the school. He was diagnosed just last year with ALS but continued on with the day to day operations with the school.
    http://www.wmcarey.edu/asp/viewpr.asp?item=315

He will be missed.

6. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Have you checked out the University of Mobile, in Alabama? They have a great faculty and they are more conservative. I grew up in H'burg and attended WC prior to seminary. I can tell you that the faculty loves the Lord but they are definitely more theologically moderate. You will be taught some things there that may not agree with what you have believed all your life. Mainstream theologians have gone the way of liberals while maintain their personal faith in God. They are nevertheless in line with what much of liberals teach. Mississippi College is even worse.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I had lots of friends go there, and never heard anything but good reports about the school. It was quite common for someone to attend there having grown up in Gulfport. There are many in the ministry today.