1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Windows to the world or into your fellowship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know some of these questions may end up in the computer section. However, I tried to make the questions broad enough to encompass a wide range (diverse) of thinking and input.

The questions resolve around the central issue of having some kind of relationship at some level with works of darkness and/or those of the world and supportive of the things of this world.

How is it going with you and the windows 10?

Have you found the church related applications working worse, better or the same?

Have you problems using the Bible software you are accustomed to using?

Perhaps you haven't gotten windows 10, is there a reason?

As a Baptist, do you consider that Microsoft policies are in conflict as you interact with and support lifestyles of folks that you would not allow in your fellowship?

As a Baptist, do you ever question the interaction of your church doing business with anyone outside the fellowship? Consider if you would not allow a heathen wedding, but allow a heathen to fix the roof or join in contract with Windows - were do you draw the line and is it consistent?

Are not the deacons supposed to take full responsibility of the upkeep and running of the church plant and that of all believer's in the fellowship?

Or are they merely to make sure everyone is satisfied with the food they eat?

Is it not wise for a pastor and elders to have resources that are not reliant upon Windows or Linux or any other operating system in which they study and prepare what God has placed on their heart?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church leadership was challanged once with the question, "If your church suddenly vanished, would the community miss it?"

We invite (almost) any group to use our facilities free of charge.

If you want to fix our roof, we'll let you.

We have Boy and Girl Scouts, a high school drama team, the high school girls flag team, regional police bomb squad canine trainers, Alcoholic Anonomous, various womens groups, we even sponsor a pig-raisers function.

I was surprised years ago when I applied for a passport.
    ...turns out the government knows more about my past than I do.
    I had to call my mother and do some research to answer the question they asked to verify myself.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night - I hate it already... but I'll get used to it. I see nothing there that tests my faith.

Rob

3. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believers are in the world but (should not be) of the world. It's probably impossible short of being monastic or a hermit to live without having to do business with unbelievers. As for computers are merely tools, and some of the policies of both readily available operating platforms are at variance with Christian values.

Our recent addition was built by church members (in particular, one who is an experienced building contractor, and his assistants, often other church members) but we have no real knowledge of the spiritual standing of the lumber producer or concrete supplier. Comparing this sort of work to a wedding seems inappropriate to me. IMO, a Christian wedding is also a worship service. Obviously, choosing a roofing contractor is something else.

All thought-provoking questions, however, and presented clearly in the OP.

4. Paco

Paco Member

I have no problem with an unsaved person performing work on the facilities, as long as he is doing a good job. Having him/her assist in any work to help us to serve God and do His will is contributing to the work of the church. God will bless them for whatever good they do for the church or for God's people. They are certainly welcome to any of our services.

God bless them! And God open their heart to hear the Word of the Gospel and receive Christ!

We have to interact with people in order to communicate with them that most precious message of the everlasting gospel!

Windows 10???? No! I am in no hurry to upgrade. I am happy with Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the various computers I am using.