1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine or Grape Juice?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In the thread on communion I raied this question, but buckster75 suggested that this question ought to be in a new thread, so here 'tis. Does your church use wine or grape juice in the Lord's Supper. Second question, which do you prefer, and third, what is the scripture for your position?
    Buckster also raised the question of wine and minors, so if you're a wino church (just kidding) how do you handle it?

Tom Butler

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Grape juice. But a Calvary church I attended used real wine when communion was served in small groups.

As for minors, I believe there's a loophole in alcohol consumption laws that permit concumption by minors for ceremonial and religious purposes.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That loophole would have to be a "state" law. All laws concerning consumption of "spirits" are governed by the individual states; but, you are probably right. I would certainly check out my individual state laws though.

We have an alcohol bureau agent that attends our church. Yeah, I know, visits bars in the day and is a deacon the rest of the time. I'll ask him tonight at church about our state laws.

4. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

All Catholic churches serve wine in communion, as do Lutheran churches. That covers 80% of the Christian world right there. The Baptist churches use grape juice as a rule. In the bible REAL wine was served out of goatskins. And even Paul recommended to Timothy to "drink a little wine" for his stomach's sake.

Paul also wrote to the Corinthians in I Cor chapter 11 on their abusing the Lord's Supper, by becoming DRUNK in drinking the wine. If grape juice would have been served during the Lord's Supper, than the Corinthians could have drank gallons of the stuff and never have gotten intoxicated. Which proves REAL wine was served for communion in the early church and not Welches grape juice.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church uses grape juice, but I doubt anyone would have an issue if we started using red wine.

I like the taste of grape juice but I don’t like the taste of red wine.

Beyond personal preference, I don’t care either way since communion is not about the elements themselves, but rather, about remembering the example of Christ, celebrating His presence with us in community, and anticipating His return where we will fellowship with Him in the fullest sense.

It’s a First Amendment issue. The freedom of religion (that is, separation of church and state) guaranteed in the First Amendment allows wine to be used by minors in religious observances. Remember, there are many denominations who only serve wine in communion and they’ve been doing it for years without difficulty. Even during Prohibition in the U.S., churches still served wine in Communion.

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

My church uses grape juice.

I don't have a strong preference, but I lean toward grape juice.

There are many mentions in the Bible of wine; there is no mention in the Bible of Welch’s grape juice! I just skimmed through my 1769 King James Bible and found the word “wine” 231 times in 211 verses (I hope that I counted right! If I missed a verse, please post the one that I missed!) ;)

[​IMG]

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Wine; 2. Wine (for scriptural reasons, not taste); 3. Some scriptures that have already been mentioned. 4. Not a problem under the 1st amendment, which would trump any state law (if such exists) to the contrary.

8. nate

nate New Member

1. Grape Juice
    2. Since I'm 17 I'll say GJ for now.
    3. Wine is absolutely fine see 1 Cor. chapter 11.
    4. The RCC serves minors so I don't believe there is a law against it.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Okay folks, let's throw in another question. If you're a wine congregation, where do you get it? At the liquor store? Or, as in a couple of churches I'm familiar with, is there someone in the church who makes it?

Tom B.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

The average Baptist church cleans out their kitchen fridge about every decade or so.

1993 was NOT a good year for Welch's. Yech.

11. TomMann

TomMann New Member

For the question of allowing minors to drink...... I don't know about all states, but I believe that in Texas, minors may drink alcoholic beverages while under the direct supervision of their parents. However, it could be a violation to let the minors consume more than small/reasonable amounts.

12. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

The Catholic and Lutheran churches don't seem to have a problem with offering wine in communion to minors. And that's 80% of the entire Christian world.

13. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I certainly would NOT purchase communion wine from a liquor store! Wine may be purchased from a winery or a grocery store.

[​IMG]

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

1. We use grape juice.
    2. It doesn't matter to me. Although the Bible says "wine", I don't think God minds Grape juice.
    3. We're told not to be a stumbling block, and since there is a misconception about wine, why be a stumbling block?
    4. It's such a small amount that Nyquil is much more of an intoxicant.
    5. I would get it from an individual or a winery instead of a liquor store. For one thing, our liquor store only sell liquor, not wine. For another, see #3 above.

15. mioque

mioque New Member

1. Does your church use wine or grape juice in the Lord's Supper.
    2. which do you prefer,
    3. what is the scripture for your position?
    4. wine and minors..how do you handle it?
    5. If you're a wine congregation, where do you get it?

1. Both.
    2. Wine.
    3. John 2:3-11
    4. The few minors who participate most often drink grape juice.
    5. I carefully keep track of what is available amongst the local supermarkets and wineries. Only the best for the good people of my church.

16. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Here we go... again. :rolleyes:

17. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

Should it be "kosher for Passover"?

18. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some buy it from the Mogen David Company, others from The Blue Nuns, unblessed, of course, but made from grapes grown near Lourdes or some where like that.

In vain we do worship, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Selah,

Bro. James

19. jw

jw New Member

We use grape juice.

No preference, I've been to churches that use wine.

Scripturally I find both acceptable.

20. jw

jw New Member

Dr. Bob - if you are reading this thread..

I remember a post way back when by you about Welches Grape Juice basically coming about as a non-alcholic communion wine, or something to that effect.

Could you point me toward any documentation on that? Would be nice for my files. Thanks [​IMG]