1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine vs. Grapejuice @ Communion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When compared to what the definition of "miracle" is, thinking this occured is laughable. No disrespect intended, but Jesus adding the juice of squeezed grapes to jars of water is not a miracle by definition (nothing supernatural involved).

#281 webdog, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't know of anyone who has translated "winebibber" as just a drinker of wine.
    Here is what I found on Studylight.org

Strong's Number: 3630 oiÎnopo/thv
    Original Word Word Origin
    oiÎnopo/thv from (3631) and a derivative of the alternate of (4095)
    Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling
    Oinopotes oy-nop-ot'-ace
    Parts of Speech TDNT
    Noun Masculine None
    Definition
    a winebibber, given to wine, a wino

Translated Words
    KJV (2) - winebibber, 2;
    NAS (2) - drunkard, 2;

I don't think there's any doubt that they were accusing Jesus of being a drunkard. Especially in context with being accused of being a glutton. They were accusing Him of excessive,sinful behavior.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

All right folks. This one has drifted away from the topic of the OP and has reached 29 pages. At 30 pages its time is up. So get your last comments in while you can. Just remember to play nice. ;)

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Isn't that what a grape vine has done? Turn water into grape juice? Just what the Creator had designed it to do. Alcohol had nothing to do with His creative work. Why would He make it here? It would have been totally out of His character to do that.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Of which He was sinless. It would have been out of character for Him to have made alcohol as alcohol causes men to sin. Jesus calls sinners to repentance not calling them to sin. Alcohol lowers inhibitions thus opening the heart to sinful urges like this one.

[Image removed]

I'm sorry I just could not resist. You know drowsiness has the same effect so I think I'll just go and, ahem, sleep it off. :sleeping_2:

#285 Palatka51, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. The vine needs water to thrive...not turn it into grape juice.

The reason He made it there was because it was a wedding celebration. Wine gladdens the heart of man...grape juice doesn't.

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Sure it does. The grape has all the necessary nutrients that makes a heart healthy. And you know what they say about a healthy heart don't you? NO? Well a healthy heart is a Happy, glad, merry heart. :thumbs: :godisgood:

8. standingfirminChrist

That which bites like a serpent and stings like an adder does not make the heart glad. They are two different wines.

Alcohol makes the heart glad? Yeah, right...I am sure my brother was really elated to find himself in hell when he closed his eyes in death here on this earth.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

How does the moister get in the grape then? Now that one is indeed "laughable." Always wanted to use that word in a sentence. :laugh:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not only the skin. A beer a day has the same heart benefits, too, according to studies.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I think I'll go ahead and tip this one over on to page 30 and say well done. It didn't really say right on the OP specific topic, but at least we were able to have a fairly civil discussion. Until next time.... :wavey: :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.