1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine vs. Grapejuice @ Communion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your grapes have turned the alcohol into acetic acid...that's why it smells of vinegar.

Did you squeeze the juice, or just put the grapes whole into the container? Did you seal the container allowing no oxygen?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

I didn't know it was against the law to serve wine in communion to minors. Interesting...

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Thanks to all who have posted. The modern grape juice idea that is pasteurized(free of impurities as was Christ) is a great help on my reservations. Thank you.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Its not against the law to serve alcohol for communion because it falls under the part of the law religous observances. Just thought I would point that out.

I personally think communion should be done with wine not grape juice just as Christ did it.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Sounds about right.

I squeezed them, then threw them in the bowels. Yes, there is no oxygen. Tupperware is pretty expensive (remember those Tupperware parties?) so I imagine it lives up to it's name.

To my understanding, it is possible for them to ferment if the conditions outside were conducive to it. Yet I don't remember what all those conditions are.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks. I thought I saw many kids taking part in drinking the wine at church. Of course, it's a tiny amount.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since you sealed them, there would be no airborne yeast for them to ferment properly. That's why it turned into vineger (which if you remember was offered to Christ on the cross...the worst possible wine) If additional yeast were added, they could be sealed and the fermentation would take place the same. From what I understand, it's a fine art to make a good wine, much moreso to make the "best"...which makes Jesus' miracle of making the "best" wine instantaneously remarkable.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

I imagine that's true. it is a fine art to make the best wine. Folks are pretty particular about their wine.

The birds eat the majority of our grapes, though I have eaten them by the handful too.
    They don't seem to like our green grapes as much, not sure what kind of grapes those are. Maybe they make white wine.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is what I thought as well but I talked to a wine expert once and he said that white wine is actually just without the skins.
    He told me not to buy it because the health benefits I was seeking would only be present in red wine, not white.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Good to know, thanks

12. standingfirminChrist

Just squeezing the grapes and putting them in airtight containers will not keep the juice from turning acidic. One must first boil down the juice to less than half its consistency. IOW, if you have a gallon of juice, boil it until less than half a gallon is left. All fermentating bacteria in grape juice is killed when the temperature reaches 176° Farenheit. Then put the juice in an airtight container. It will keep as fresh as the day it was squeezed for years.

That is only one of the 4 ways recorded in the first century that grape juice was preserved in its non-alcoholic state.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

SFIC, could you cite references for your assertions?
    Thanks.

14. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Amen well said, Paul instructs us in Romans that nothing within itself is wrong but we must give up certain liberties if it can possibly cause others to stumble. Thank the Lord for His precious blood that needs no debate.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Wine vs. Grape Juice @ Communion

Joe,

You threw them in the "bowels"?? Man that's nasty!! I bet not many come over for a drink, huh? LOL Just kidding, Brother!! No wonder they smelled. LOL Maybe it's not the tupperware that makes the "prrrrfffffffpppp" when you opened the lid!! Man you set yourself up on this one. Please forgive me, my dear Brother!!

Willis

#35 convicted1, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see the other side of the argument, too.

Should we forego the use of bread because some people might be struggling with gluttony through the excessive consumption of carbohydrates?

17. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Guess there might be some who are addicted to bread, I have no problem with the church whose Pastor chooses to use wine. I simply don't need to use that liberty to remember Him as the service is meant for. I believe we could use cranberry juice and still "Do it in remembrance of our Lord"

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There is no end to the reasoning that we should not do something just because someone might abuse it.
    Why are you all on the internet?
    There are people who think the internet is evil.
    Using this logic, they may be tempted to use the internet and use inappropriate sites.

Do you have a TV? I know people who are offended by that.

Where does it end?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It ends when it hits home :)

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Everything SFIC said has previously been cited. Do a search on all the alcohol threads and you will find what you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.