1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wine?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by RaptureReady, Aug 25, 2003.

1. tannerml

tannerml New Member

Yes, indeed it was and is to this day. What does that have to do with this discussion? I am assuming you expected me to answer "no" so you could bash me with that, yes?

2. Justified

Justified New Member

The drug (if that would be the right term) that is contained in these products, are not considered "mind altering".

[​IMG]

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Not considered mind-alterning by whom?

Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant, which is how it has its affect. It is also habit forming (addictive). Dexedrine is also an addictive CNS stimulant, and dexedrine is a controlled substance (many states require special triplicate prescriptions to get it - you can't even get it by normal prescription). Cocaine is an illegal drug that is also a CNS stimulant, although there is controversy over whether or not it is physically addictive. It also used to be one of the main ingredients in Coca-Cola (it's what Coca stands for), and at the time it was considred perfectly legitimate and not "mind-altering". You know, much the same way caffeine is regarded today.

4. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Abusus ne tollat usum.

Abuse of anything is not an argument against its proper use.

5. Justified

Justified New Member

Poor arguement for mind altering.

[​IMG]

6. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I'll assume that wasn't directed toward me, since I was addressing the subject of this thread, something that Jesus drank.

7. Justified

Justified New Member

You can't tell me that you seriously believe that Jesus Christ could serve a mind altering drink?

If any of you do, then you know nothing of the Holiness of Jesus!

8. tannerml

tannerml New Member

Sure I do. He instituted Holy Communion in just such a setting.

9. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I know the Bible, and I know it praises wine as a blessing, that it required wine be drunk at the Passover, that the Lord's Supper was a Passover Seder, that Jesus made wine at Cana, that He was falsely accused of being a drunk and a glutton because He drank and ate in stark contrast to His cousin, and that the Bible condemns drunkenness, and commands a bishop not to be given to too much wine.

Those things I know, and they are compatible with what you said I must not know. I also know that wine was cut with multiple parts of water, and believe it was already less alcoholic than today's before that dilution.

I hope you don't drink too much water: hydrotoxicity can be mind-altering (as is too much or too little sleep, a tall glass of orange juice, several slices of turkey, a 20-minute brisk walk, or a piece of chocolate).

10. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Isaiah 25:1-8-

"1 O LORD, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth. 2 For thou hast made of a city an heap; of a defenced city a ruin: a palace of strangers to be no city; it shall never be built. 3 Therefore shall the strong people glorify thee, the city of the terrible nations shall fear thee. 4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall. 5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.
    6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined. 7 And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations. 8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it." (KJV)

Verse 6 says (twice) that the LORD Himself would serve a feast including 'wine on the lees'. Since 'the lees' are the sediment (the settled impurities) that results from the process of fermentation, how can we interpret this verse to imply anything except wine with an alcohol content?

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pork isn't that good for you knowadays either. But I don't like to tie such reasons to God reason for aspects of the Law. I have a hard time trying figure out why He would forbid two types of fabric in one piece of clothling. </font>[/QUOTE]I once saw a 60 kg pig do battle with a young 5 foot cobra. the snake bit the pig multiple times before the pig clamped its jaws on the snake's head. it took more than an hour for the pig to succumb to the cobra's poison.

did you all know that when you shave off the pig's hair and see all those black/grey spots on their skin, those black/greys are actually toxic ?

I believe that if we examine those animals, fish, and fowl that God told the Jews not to include in their diets we come up with one word: scavengers, with simple alimentary systems. Whatever they eat (which are mostly junk, dead, and rotting) they absorb fast into their bodies. No filters like chicken, or ducks, or cattle.

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

You can't tell me that you seriously believe that Jesus Christ could serve a mind altering drink?

</font>[/QUOTE]Amen brother.

13. BrianT

BrianT New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Amen brother.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Translation: always rely on emotionalism when you can't deal with the scriptures! [​IMG]

14. Justified

Justified New Member

You do have a sense of humor!!! [​IMG]

:cool: