1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wireless router question...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by webdog, Jun 27, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I recently installed my d-ling di-524 wireless router. We live in a split level home, with the main pc on the top floor. On each of the other two floors, my wife's notebook shows an "excellent" signal, but cannot connect to the internet. I tried contacting support, and they said to get a range booster. We bought one (bigger antenna), and nothing still.

Do you know of any settings both on the main pc and the notebook that might be out of whack? We have gotten a signal from time to time in the past, and now nothing.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Is the main PC wired or wireless?

You may have a good signal but you may also not have some other settings correct.
    Are you using windows XP?

if so hit start/run/ that will open up a command prompt. In the command prompt type ipconfig/all this should show your IP info. If you want, copy and paste that into a post so I can read what you have. I will be able to tell whether or not you are getting a proper address or not.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

main pc is wired, not wireless. Both pc's are windows xp (notebook is pro).

Did you want the ip info from the notebook, or the main pc? The ip address configuration is set to auto on the notebook. In the lower levels of the house it can't find the ip address, but when I take the notebook right next to the router, I get internet access.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, that is helpful and shows your PC config is good.

Just a hint, rather than get an extender, I would go with a Linksys because they seem to get a lot better range in my experience but I haven't used many D-Link.

I will also have a professional grade 3Com AP up on eBay soon.
    We used those at the Indiana State Fair for an outdoor wireless system.

with external antennas we were able to get a connection from a pole (direct line of sight) at 8 blocks away :)

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, one thing to try is to see if you can adjust your power.
    Most commercial APs have adjustablle power but a lot of consumer ones don't.

It is worth a try though. If it does, make sure it is turned all the way up which should be 100mw or 20dBm

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

we have this problem periodically.

couple of suggestions:

1. reboot the main router. Sometimes the wireless is working but the main router has kicked out.

2. Right click on the little wireless icon that shows you've got the excellent connection that is somehow not connecting and click on view wireless networks. At times, mine will show that windows isn't making the connection.
    In the left-hand menu, click on change advanced settings.
    Click on the tab for wireless connections and make sure that the box by Use Windows to configure . . .
    Then you choose your router and click connect.

My husband was having the same problem with his laptop. Sometimes mine does it -- especially around a reboot, but sometimes it just happens.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a usrobitics router/dialup with wired/wireless system. The wired end works well, but the wireless is iffy at best.

It shows a good signal and will cause the server to connect and disconnect, but the email/browser don't find anything.

I found that allowing windows to run things on the laptop rather than the robotics utility helped a lot, but still have lots of problems.

I've noticed when my wife kicks her computer on the wireless usually gives trouble and rebooting the server is the only fix.

I spent a couple hours with tech support and they were near worthless till I got the last guy that got it "kinda working" and they don't have toll free numbers :-(

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Every time I talk to one of these tech support people, I find they are all near worthless. They know NO more than we do and have less incentive!

9. Aubre

Aubre New Member

I'd get an extender - just my 2 cents worth.

10. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

we sometimes have a problem with connecting wirelessly with the pc in the basement. it's easier for us to just attach to someone elses network in the neighborhood. it's funny, a lot of times the laptop will automatically attach to a neighbor's network, even though it configured to automatically attach to ours.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It is really bad if you go back to Best Buy if you bought the gear there.
    lol

I work for a company that, among other things installs wireless networks.
    We have done two large school systems in the last several months.
    That is a bit of a chore. A little more than the little Linksys router you use at home.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I thought I would explain a few terms for everyone so that they might understand more when they have problems with these.

First, when we install commercial systems. we do NOT use "wireless routers"
    We install Wireless Access Points, Routers and Switches.
    This is like a HiFi component system you would have at your house.

The AP (access point) in the radio itself that connects to the devices (phones or PC or other wireless devices)

The Router is where you get your IP address from.
    IN a home system, it gets one IP address from your internet service provider, then it give out address to wired and wireless client devices that are connected to it.
    Usually 192.168.x.x

A switch is what you plug your wired connections into. It is very similar to a hub but with better performance.

The D-Link or whatever brand you have is one unit that combines all three of these.

Knowing the various components can really help you in troubleshooting.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, what kind of wireless device do you have? Is it built in or on a PC Card? Or is it USB?
    ALso the brand might be helpful.

14. Bear

Bear New Member

Webdog, on your problem, I am going to defer to Dale-c at this time and jump in when I can help. But I would like to address Richard N Koustas's quote
    Not being difficult here at all Richard, but using your neighbor's network is a no no. They should have their router system encryption protected and are open to the world for abuse of their connection and their bandwidth violated. If you can track it back to them at all, I would contact them and let them know their connection is unsecure. Just trying to help here and not being insensitive.

Good Luck,

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to know a little more about your configuration.

For example, I'm assuming you have cable internet, connected to a cable modem, which is connected to the wireless router.

How is the main PC (you said it was wired, not wireless) connected to the wireless router? (I'm assuming, since most wireless routers have LAN jacks, that you've connected a LAN cable from the main PC to the wireless router)

How is the cell phone reception in your house? Do you get great cell phone signal, but lousy wireless internet signal? Or is the cell phone signal weak in certain parts of the house, too? If so, tell me about the construction of your house, especially where you have the wireless router set up.

Most wireless routers should have signal output up to 400 feet; can you take the notebook computer outside, but still near the area where the wireless router is? Is the notebook able to connect to the wireless router?

While most of the others here are more experienced than I am, and a heck of a lot smarter on the subject, I need to delve into your problem a little further.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

One other thing I forgot to mention is something called co-channel interference.
    If you live in an area with other houses nearby that have routers that broadcast on the same channel, then you will get interference even if you have a good signal.
    not like in a residential area but possible.

17. richard n koustas

i agree, (i was trying to be a little tounge in cheek) but i have no idea who's networks they are, sometimes we can see as many as 7 of them, most of them are 'unsecure' and they all have cute names

18. Bear

Bear New Member

:laugh: Gotcha Richard, I know what you mean by the names on the networks, I don't know how they come up with some of them.

19. richard n koustas

Since they all have wierd names, it is almost impossible to know who they belong to...without asking...

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wireless router question

D-link routers can be very finicky.

Rob

#20 Deacon, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006