1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wirless connection problem

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by baptistteacher, Aug 24, 2009.

1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I can't get the laptop to locate any wireless network availability.

Sat. nite I downloaded a document as .html, using Firefox, as I wanted to read it Sun. afternoon at church, where there is no net connection. It opened in "offline mode," as it should have.

When I got home again, I cannot get the computer to locate any wireless signals in the area. I checked my modem/router, it seems to be working fine. (I'm using it now, hardwired.) And there are normally 3 0r 4 other routers that are visible in my neighbourhood, but nothing is showing now.

I did uncheck the "work offline" setting in the file menu.

Windows XP, sp 3. Gateway laptop,model 4525GZ.

(I sure am tired of all these wonderful Windows problems. :( )

2. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

We have a gateway with a slide switch to manually turn the wireless on and off. Have you checked to see if the wireless has not been turned off by a manual switch? Our gets bumped and inadvertently turned off on a regular basis.

:smilewinkgrin: That is why I started experimenting with Linux years ago, and now we are completely windows free. Linux is much more user friendly than it used to be, and now a days imo it is more user friendly than windows.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often there is an Fn plus Fkey on/off for wireless as well as the slide switch. There might be an icon in the tray on the right that allows turning it on and off as well.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

One of the troubleshooting items said to check for such a switch, but I could not find one.
    This really has me puzzled.

I am a Mac person, and will be glad to be able to upgrade from my old 1998 vintage Mac machine someday. Just got a real deal on this laptop a year ago ($100), and couldn't pass it up. My wife needed to run Word 2003 or 2007 for a class at the community college.

5. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

exscentric, What would that look like? I see on f2 a symbol that looks something like this:

(((.)))

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Is there a little LED that lights up when WiFi is turned on? I agree that it sounds like you have it switched off with hardware by accident.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That could be it, just press the Fn key and that F key and see if it works.

They often use a little tower shape pic on the key as well.

Start/control panel and there is sometimes a wireless section you could snoop around in.

Also Start/control panel/system and on the hardware tab there is a device manager button. Click that and there will be a listing of all devices on your unit. There might be an explanation point or red question mark beside the wireless. If there is right click on the device and click properties. This should tell you if the wireless is working or not.

8. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Wireless Again!!

That was it!! :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

{Sorry, I was offline a little while. Computer decided to do one of it's "start-restart" cycles again. }:tonofbricks: