1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wisdom regarding drugs/alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ScottEmerson, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I've been building a relationship with a college student who has had a pretty rotten past but who has been coming to church and asking all kinds of great questions. I really believe that the Lord is softening up his heart, slowly but surely. Anyway, here's the question that he asked via e-mail. The **** is another student. (I'm a student minister.) Thoughts?

Interesting question, to be sure. Thanks in advance for your time!

SEC

2. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

We are to treat our bodies as a temple of Christ.

I have lived with alcohol/drug abuse all my life. First as a child, my father was really into alcohol and Rx drug abuse. When I became a teen I stopped talking to him and I think at that time he turned around. He is no longer the man he was. But I remember all too clearly the car wrecks, the seizures, the arguements. Then I went to college and did my own abuse. I am happy to say that it did not last on me and didn't take me long to realize how stupid smoking pot and overdrinking was. Now I am married into a family that has the same problems I grew up with, although I was unaware of these problems until well after our marriage.

So I can safely say that I KNOW drugs and alcohol. So here is my take. I am sure others can give much better advice, but your post hit my heart.

1. God also put natural poisons on the planet, but we don't partake of those do we?
    2. Satan uses drugs and alcohol to do his work. Drunk driving, unsafe sex, ruining relationships, you name it.
    3. Addiction is easy to get into and hard to get out of.

I know a woman who recently made her husband move out because he would not control his drinking and pot use. Her kids would wake up in the morning and find drug paraphanelia on the coffee table. Image having to answer your 5 year olds question of "what's this?" This man swore up and down he did not have a problem. I would like to suggest here, because I have seen it time and time again, that most pot smokers do not think they have a problem, and it will be hard to convince them that it is wrong. Personally, from my own expereince with it, I cannot imaging why anyone would want to do it. You cannot control your thoughts. If you cannot control your own mind...then who is in control? I would not say that God is in control at that moment!

So my answer may not be a concise and terribly helpful one...but it did just fly from my fingers as I wrote it. Some advice for that young one: Deny yourself and follow Christ. Always be a good witness for Christ in ALL that you do. A stoned Christian cannot be a good witness, ever.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree Seth&Mattsmom. Our bodies are the temple of the holy spirit.

These questions aren't what right and wrong with substances such as alcohol, pot or even tobacco. The question is: How do we want to keep our temple and how do these things bring glory to our Lord and Savior?

The right and wrong of these issues is obvious and you student already knows all about it. He might be decieved into thinking he can control his usage and that "recreational" usage won't harm his relationships or body. But that is what Satan does. He decieves us into thinking, "I'll be okay and still have a little fun". Then one day you wake up and realize that you've been tricked! By that time these substances may already have such a hold over you that you can't break free. (because while the Lord offers forgiveness and salvation, he often allows us to suffer the earthly consequences of our sin. He saved the soul of the theif on the cross, but he didn't keep him from suffering death)

Teach your student wisdom, not rules. This enables the Holy Spirit to better guide him toward Christ. This one sounds as if he already knows the rules, but not the reasons behind them and that's not good enough. We must teach our children the WHY of a rule, or they will never be self sufficient.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would tell him that illegal drugs are just that...ILLEGAL, meaning partaking of them would be sin. Even legal drugs, if obtained or used in an illegal manner would be sinful. Just because the government regulates what is legal or not, the Bible tells us we are to fall under the authority of others. Marijuana use, if legalized for medicinal purposes, would be fine if used in the manner the physician prescribes, but again, it would be sin to smoke pot in order to just get high. It would be sin to obtain marijuana in an illegal manner and use in an illegal manner.

As far as tobacco, I'm not sure. We are not to be addicted to anything, but an occasional cigar? I don't know. Knowing the health hazards of smoke would hold one liable of their actions in harming themselves. The Bible tells us whatever is not done out of faith is sin, so being "iffy" on it's use would most likely be sin.

Alcohol is linked numerous times with both being a blessing and curse. Blessing when done in moderation, and sin when done in excess. I believe Jesus drank wine, as Luke 7:33-35 shows, so alcohol in itself is not sinful.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

A tidbit for you...

Galatians 5:19-21 (ASV)

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, 21 envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The greek word for "sorcery" in Galatians 5:20 is "pharmakeia." Yep, that's right...the root of "pharmacy" and "pharmacology."

Sorcerers in NT times used mood-altering subtances to help them see the supernatural. Giving the body that belongs to God to the control of a chemical is a bad move.

And even if a drug is legal...it doesn't make it wise to use it.

Upside of drug use: nice feeling, acceptance among other addicts.
    Some downsides of drug use: lose family, job, respect, health. Become addicted. Become anti-social. Become broke. Lose interest in all matters of daily life.

It's horribly unwise.

By the way...in response to "it's natural, so it's OK to use it"...God also made the hemlock plant. It doesn't mean anyone should eat it.

6. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruiin your life. Instead, let the Holy Spirit fill and control you. Romans 13:13

You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy-- their immorality and lust, their feasting and drunkinness and wild parties, and their terrible worship of idols. Of course your former friends are very suprised when you no longer join them in the wicked things they do, and they say evil things about you. But just remember that they will have to face God, who will judge everyone, both the living and the dead. 1 Peter 4:3-5

Alcohol and prostitution have robbed my people of their brains. Hosea 4:11

Destruction is certain for you who get up early to begin long drinking bouts that last into the night... Destruction is certain for those who are heroes when it comes to drinking, who boast about all the liquor they can hold. They take bribes to pervert justice. They let the wicked go free while punishing the innocent. Therefore, they will all disappear like burning straw. Their roots will rot and their flowers wither, they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty. They have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 5:11, 22-24

Those who love ploeasure become poor; wine and luxury are not the way to riches. Proverbs 21:17

Dont you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete purity because we fear God. 2 Corinthians 7:1