1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wise and Foolish Virgins

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J. Jump, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

HoG,

A wick can be lit without oil, just as a rag can be lit without using a accelerant. It just will not continue to burn without having the oil.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

He will come as a thief in the night to everyone. The saved will either be prepared or not, and the unsaved are unsaved. It's a warning to both sets, but the passages are being given to saved people; it concerns them as well.

3. gekko

gekko New Member

like i said, HoG... i have an oil lamp/candle (no wax. just runs off oil).
    the wick can be lit without the oil. it wont stay lit though.

4. standingfirminChrist

And now, once again, you are reading into the text and implying the lamps were not old. That the wicks had oil in them.

I find nowhere in scripture to back that up. As a matter of fact, I find quite the opposite.

Took no oil, not in vessels, not in lamps, not in wicks. No oil means exactly that, no oil.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

yes that is true J.Jump.
    ---

HopeofGlory... you need to read that passage of scripture more thoroughly to understand that He does not come as a thief in the night to everyone.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Okay, Hope now you have gone and done it you went to the Greek and found the tense of the verb used. Don't you know that the KJV corrects the mistakes by those who wrote the manuscripts? :rolleyes: It is also funny how some will use the Geneva version when it supports their KJVO stance but ignore it, and even claim the KJV corrects the Geneva version in places they use different words. Hope, you should know by now that some will not deal with the facts, but will make the Scripture say what they want. I continue to be amazed.

Bro Tony

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

For another man-made story, I can also add one about a flashlight. In the winter here, it doesn't really get all that cold, usually right around zero, but we only get about 4 hours of daylight. Back around February, we needed to take the RV somewhere, so in order to get it ready, I grabbed my Maglight and went out there. Well, the cold killed the batteries. My light was "going out", so guess what? I had to go get new batteries. It didn't mean that I never had them, just that they weren't as charged up as I needed them.

There. Another relevant anecdote.

8. standingfirminChrist

1 Thessalonians 5:4-5 4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

The true child of God will not be unprepared when the Lord comes. For he has made his robes white in the blood of the Lamb.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

now what is the meaning of that? what's it say in the greek?

does it mean that they took no oil carrying with them?
    or does it mean they took no oil period?

i dont have a concordance... what's the greek for those two words?

10. standingfirminChrist

The Greek word for 'with' is the word 'meta' which can be translated as with or along. It can also be translated as the word 'in'.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I don't remember who posted it, but it's a present, passive, indicative: Are going out.

As far as carrying oil, up in verse 4, there are two separate prepositional phrases, that are even translated as such in the KJV, although the KJVO's will turn a blind eye to it because it's inconvenient: The wise took oil "in their vessels" is the first prepositional phrase. The passage says nothing about the unwise and their vessels. But, the wise took the oil in the vessels "with their lamps".

You may take this to mean that they had brand new wicks, without a trace of oil, and the Bible is lying when it says that the lamps were going out, or you can take it to mean that they had not prepared themselves properly for when the bridegroom returns.

12. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

What part of 'no oil' do people not understand? If they had oil in their lamps, they would not have taken 'no oil.'

13. gekko

gekko New Member

if the foolish virgins had a bit of oil in their lamps. why would they ask the wise for more oil?

you trim your lamp just before you light it. its what you do with oil lamps. to get rid of the excess wick that doesnt have oil soaked on it.

so the lamps were not lit before all ten trimmed their lamps.

the foolish virgins were ignorant to the fact of how much oil they had/had-not.
    ---

again. im just throwing out points that could be valid. i havn't decided myself for myself whether they were saved or unsaved.
    ---

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Like I said you would have us believe that they had gone out the day before and purchased a brand new lamp just for this occasion :)

The lengths that you must go to protect your tradition, it really does crack me up.

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That is only one way a person is made ready for the return of Christ. The person also must have obtained proper wedding attire and that is done through the righteous acts of the saints. We are to array ourselves, clothe ourselves to make ourselves ready for the bridegroom.

You completely leave out the second step which is exactly what the parable we are discussing is all about. It has nothing to do with being clothed in Christ's blood, but preparing ourselves. The only ones that are even able to prepare themselves are saved people.

That is just absolutely incorrect. Not only can you see it in this parable but you can see it in all the parables that follow. You can see it in the parable of the wedding feast. You can see it in the letters to the churches in Revelation. You can see it in OT types as well.

Not all Christians are faithful.

16. gekko

gekko New Member

there's no such thing as a carnal christian. i've looked into it.

17. standingfirminChrist

Of the churches mentioned in Revelation, only one was pleasing to the Lord. All the others He had something against. I do not see where He told the other 6 that they were accepted of Him.

You are mentioning a works based salvation when you say that we must be clothed in the righteous acts of the saints.

The Bible says it is not works of righteousness which we have done, but we are saved by His marvellous grace, and His grace alone.

My robes were made white by His shed blood. There is nothing I can do to make them whiter, to make them more presentable.

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Better look some more!

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

No what you are trying to do is continue to combine two distinct messages into one message that deals with eternal salvation.

If the Bible says that God does everything in regard to salvation why are we told to clothe ourselves or to array ourselves? Why are we the ones told to do the action instead of God saying that He dresses us or clothes us?

How do you get those two Biblical teachings to mesh together without contradicting.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Why do you add "works" to salvation? We ARE attired in the "righteousness of Christ" (2 Cor. 5:21). We have NO righteous of our own--all our righteousness is "filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6)--being IN CHRIST is our ONLY righteousness. There is NOWHERE in the Scriptures which commands us to "prepare ourselves"--that is adding "works". The "works" which we do after salvation are a "result" of Christ "working" in us, through the power of the Holy Spirit (the oil being a "symbol of the Holy Spirit).

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6) No gray areas here--it's either grace or works--can't be both.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (Galatians 3:1-3) This is what I see in your posts, J.Jump--adding works to grace.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (1 John 1:7) Either the blood of Christ is sufficient to cleanse us from all sin or it isn't---NO works are necessary to be added to what Christ has already done for us! Praise the Lord!!

The 5 foolish virgins took NO oil (Matthew 25:3)--what part of NO OIL do you not understand? Their lamps went out because there was no oil in them to keep them lit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.