1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

With or without staffs?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro. Ruben, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

Got tired of me? Please don’t.

When Jesus sent out the twelve apostles, did He instruct them to take staffs or not?

Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs ; for a worker is worthy of his food (Matthew 10:9-10).

And He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor bread nor money; and do not have two tunics apiece." (Luke 9:3).

But in Mark 6: 8-9 it says

He commanded them to take nothing for the journey except a staff — no bag, no bread, no copper in their money belts—but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics.

I believe the staffs mentioned above are literally a "staff".

Tell me, which is which?

God bless you.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This apparent contradiction provides a good example of why comparing different versions can help to explain difficulties in a text.

Matthew 10:9

King James Version:-------Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
    New American Standard:-----Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts,
    New International Version:---Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts;

The key word of difference is the word translated as PROVIDE; ACQUIRE; or TAKE ALONG.

A quick glance in to Strong’s Concordance (#2932) and we see that this word means “to acquire, get, or procure a thing for one’s self, to possess.”

The same word is used in the following verses (NAS)

Matthew 10:9...you received, freely give. “Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your ...
    Luke 18:12...I pay tithes of all that I get .’ “But the tax collector, standing ...
    Luke 21:19...perish. “By your endurance you will gain your lives. “But when you ...
    Acts 1:18...this ministry.” (Now this man acquired a field with the price of ...
    Acts 8:20...with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! “...
    Acts 22:28...said, “Yes.” The commander answered, “I acquired this citizenship with a large sum of ...
    1 Thessalonians 4:4...each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification ...

So the disciples could take along a staff (as mentioned in Mark 6:8-9) but were told not to gather any additional staffs or anything of value.

Rob

3. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

Hi, Rob.

Your explanations reminded me why we come up with Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost.

Nice job.