1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

With regard to justification

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, May 11, 2009.

1. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves here HP. I didn't say anything about Original Sin, and I think my idea of original sin may be different from yours.

Rather than being a proof text, the way I used Ps 53 is exactly the same way the apostle Paul uses it:
    Rom 3:9 What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

The "as it is written" that Paul uses here is Ps 53.

The generation of faith. By contrast we see that those without faith are the wicked generation:

Mat 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

I think Agnus_Dei has given the best definition of "Original Sin"... the one I've seen that I agree with most. The Original Sin was the first sin of Adam. While all of mankind bears the consequences for that first sin, we do not bear the guilt of that first sin.

2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I agree with Bob.

(Good to see you again.)

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Hello again BR!

OK, I’ll accept the first part. What bugs me is those so ready to corner one about all being all take exception to all being all………such as when I point out that we are cleansed from ALL unrighteousness, yet they desire to remain sinners.

Now for John 12:32. All does not mean all will be drawn. It is a conditional statement that starts with the words: “And I, IF I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.” Men must lift him up by preaching and teaching the Word. You cannot be drawn without hearing the Word, and you cannot hear without a preacher. Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

This is just where we left off months ago, was it not? :wavey:

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: No, all in this dispensation (for that is who is being addressed) have sinned. All (i.e., all moral agents) have yielded to the proclivity to sin they were born with and became guilty before God. One does not become unrighteous until one sins. Paul is simply making the remark that all that are moral agents have sinned and become guilty before God.

Righteousness is a moral word therefore only applies to moral agents.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

ThinkingStuff...

Whether the man in question is saved or not, he is supremely decieved if he thinks he is living completely sanctified, and completely "holy" in all his way. Satan has blinded him in a huge way.

There is not one born again person who has ever lived on this earth who can say that he or she has attained that status.

None.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ja, gern!

Justification used to be my favourite subject of study when I was young. I soon discovered many masterful treatises on the subject by men also experienced in justification, I simply immersed myself in the ocean of knowledge available. Buchanan is first to come to mind. Of course virtually all the Puritans, Spurgeon, the Reformers --- They were every one of them God-fearing men of true knowledge, intellect and integrity who believed in justification by faith ALONE.

Strange then is it that I only very late in life discovered that just like the Scriptures teaches justification as a 'forensic' truth in Christ, it teaches 'sanctification' as a 'forensic' truth in Christ. That made things much clearer to my own mind about the 'doctrine' of justification by faith alone, and made me realise, the consoling and reassuring truth of the Scriptures' doctrine of sanctifation by faith in Christ alone --- even of sanctification through Him without the works of the Law! Praise God, because the Bible says no one shall see God without sanctification.

It means but one thing: We in Christ and through Christ, are 'ready' -'good enough' - for the eternal life of God's eternal salvation. NEVER in ourselves or by any 'holy' works of our own.

#46 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Who art thou to judge another man’s servant? Paul, for one, was a shining example of one who lived a sanctified life. I believe there have been many that have lived such lives before the Lord. I have seen sanctification lived before my eyes. If you have not I can see why you would speak as you do.

HP: 1Th 4:2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
    3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
    4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
    5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
    6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
    7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
    8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Be careful that you are not found despising the work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of His children whose hearts are set on God.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your post is so long one doesn't know what to answer.

You talked about "Seems that if God declares something it is made so. Look at creation" Of course it's true! No sooner does it bring you to the so 'outdated' divine truth of Election. Whom God from before the creation of the world elected for His own pleasure, He before they were even born, justified by the merit of His own willing and good pleasure's satisfaction. Jesus Christ only. That's why people who reject election and the sovereignty of God also reject justification by faith alone.

9. Alive in Christ

HP...

I am being nobodies "judge". I am simply speaking the universal truth that every christian walking on earth, and who has ever walked on earth, is a "work in progress", and will be until the moment they enter heaven. THEN they...finally...attain perfect holiness and sanctification.

He referred to himself as the "chief of sinners"...AFTER being born again.

NONE have attained complete sanctification and/or complete holiness in this life. NONE.

From the scriptures...

And you can inspect this mans heart, to see what goes on in there? You have acess to his inner thoughts, meditations, motivations and reasonings?

God sees all of that.

And ALL of us come up short while here on earth.

From the scriptures...

I speak as I do because I know the scriptures, and what they testify concerning mankind, and our condition.

Nothing there about reaching total sanctification, and perfect "holiness", as you claimed about the man you refered to.

We all are to be about the buisiness of growing in grace. But we will NEVER achieve complete purity in this life.

To those who claim they have, God says...

Again, all of us will be "growing in grace" for the rest of our natural lives. But we will never achieve complete sanctification and holiness, as your friend claims.

The Holy Spirit has been working and guiding me in my life since the month of February of 1982. I in no way do I depise His working in my life. I love His working in my life very much.

And one day I will attain 100% sanctification.

When I am translated and pass on into the presence of God.

And not until then.

:godisgood:

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, yes, but not sinless. Paul's earnest desire was to live totally for Christ, but spent the entire 7th chapter of Romans lamenting the fact that he didn't, and couldn't.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavenly Pilgrim)
    Paul, for one, was a shining example of one who lived a sanctified life.

HP: You clearly misunderstand Romans 7. Paul was not nor could he have been speaking of his life as a believer, but rather was addressing the bondage to the law he had before he came to Christ. It is sheer folly to say that Romans 7 was an accurate picture of his walk as a believer. Read Chapters 6 and 8 to see the victory over sin the life of the believer should have. Try vainly as one wills to make it so, Romans chapter 7 is no picture of the walk of a believer, let alone the walk of a sanctified believer.

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 1:5 states:
    As someone once said to me “that obedience and faith are two sides of the same coin” which is interestingly at the end of the same book here
    Now Romans 1:16-17
    Paul in this is effectively arguing against the Judaizers. Who were reliant on their righteousness being caused by obedience to certain obligations such as circumcision. And that these obligations were necessary for salvation. Paul calls this type of observance the “works of the Law” but emphasizes the need for the “righteousness of faith” In this chapter Paul lays aside the argument that one needs to be a Jew for salvation as he states in Romans 2:29
    But note that Paul doesn’t end there he continues with Romans 1:18-32
    Which can be summed up that even the Gentiles are without excuse with their wickedness and that the Jews are no better because God actually gave them the law and they failed to obey it. Here is where things become a little off from most of what I hear here:
    Paul emphasizes doing good. Which is done by obedience. Jews are proud of their law but don’t obey it Romans 2:23 and what is required for gentiles is written in their hearts Romans 2:15. Paul is ultimately saying both Jew and Gentile are on the same page. There is no discrimination. Which I see where Romans 2:26-29 going. And the often quoted Romans 3:27-30 is following the same argument
    So later with Pauls argument using Abraham you have to wonder how is it if Justification is a one time event that Abraham was Justified in Genesis 15 when he already had a relationship with God in Genesis 12? Unless Paul is going somewhere else with it. Note that Hebrews 11:8 says:
    Which was the Genesis 12 event not 15. In Romans 4:13 it says
    How is the Father of us all? Well Romans 4:19-21 says
    I guess we are justified by the same faith and that like him we should expect to persevere. Which makes this verse more applicable:
    I would like to emphasize as I think Paul did Justified through Faith; How we Stand; and rejoice in our sufferings.
    Anyway some further thoughts with regard to this.

13. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good post, Thinkin' :thumbs:

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, go back to chapter 6 and 8, as you should. Paul was clearly talking to believers. Why would he revert back to unbelievers? He doesn't. He continues his discourse speaking to believers in chapter 7 as well. The chapter is the great struggle that the old nature (the sin nature inherited from birth) has with the new nature (gained at the time of salvation). This struggle will continue as long as the believer lives on this earth. Satan will see to it. Our old nature will see to it. And John verifies it.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

DHK, may I add to your post by pointing out that Paul writes the entire 7th chapter int he present tense.

That which I do I allow not, but what I hate, I do.

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in my.

The good that I would I do not; but the evil that I would not, I do.

Present tense. Paul is writing about what's happening as he writes.

16. Alive in Christ

Which of course confirms the point I have been making.

NOBODY is capable of complete sanctification and holiness in this life. Only a ridiculously decieved person could make such a claim.

17. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree. I agree with TB and DHK that Rom 7 shows what "walking in the flesh" is compared to "walking in the spirit". Rom 8 says sin is condemned to our flesh. Basically, it is banished to our flesh. So while Paul's spirit lives in newness of life, he doesn't always do what he ought to do.

Keep in mind the scripture that says it is no longer us who lives, but Christ in us. Paul uses this same analogy for his flesh saying it is no longer him, but sin in his flesh that works evil.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
    Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.