1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Without Union Concessions, Bankruptcy Better Than A Bailout, Republicans Say

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Correction... The Senate would "REQUIRE" the union to certain concessions like management "SAID" they would do but there is nothing in writing. The union already offered some concessions just like Management did. Is it the Senate's position to decide who needs to give more?

My point, if the Senate is going to legislate union concessions then management concession should also be included in the legislation. Basically, they want to document what the bondholders and UAW will do but management doesn't get the same documented obligations.

Also, none of these conditions were placed on the banks and they are just as in danger of going belly up. This is also not Senates place to make such concessions. The GOP is clearly trying to bust the union through legislation and it should not be allowed to happen.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But I would say that first that they are telling them under what conditions they will give them money. If they want to pay workers more, they are free to do that. But they won't do it with the government money. Second, the fact that the requirement wasn't placed on banks is probably because bank worker wages are not that big of a problem, and executive pay was addressed. And the bank legislation was just bad legislation.

I odn't remember exactly now. I watched some of his speech on CSpan. I think management has already taken the hit though. Living around here, I have seen it first hand, more in management than in union. Basically, the companies don't have to do anything to get rid of management or lower their wages. They have already done that.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same point could be made about conservative evangelicals and the Democratic Party.

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

You are right. They didn't place the necessary controls on the banks. Within weeks the excutives were waisting large amounts of OUR money on a retreat. I would hope congress would learn a lesson. If they are begging for money they need to be ready to give up something. I understand that it was not the workers that made the mistakes but the businesses can not continue to fuel the "gravy train". If changes are not made the big 3 can not survive even with the bail out. If congress gives OUR money to them without concessions they are making the unions even more powerful and we can see what an out of control union has done the the industry.

Also, you made reference to the pay earned in the south. I would remind you that some of the tax monney that the big 3 is demanding will come from the workers in the south. Maybe it's time to move the industry.

#24 Carolina Baptist, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I will take your word since you are there to see it first hand. My understanding was there were VP's making 6 figures over everything but the fax machine all expecting a bonus for sinking the ship (Or was it for the smooth waters they sailed before the ship started sinking).

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The concessions should be to the company and not UAW. The money is going to the company and it is the companies job to stand up to UAW. That has been the problem all along, the company hasn't been standing up to the union.

Spoken like a true Southern GOP.... :thumbs:

I'm a GM man myself, If Toyota would make a GM Buick then I'd be all over it.

7. Carolina Baptist

As you have said "it is the companies job to stand up to the UAW". A job that they have FAILED at. If OUR tax money is going to bail them out then we need some garuntee that they will stand up to the UAW. We can't deal with this problem on a smile and a handshake. It must be part of the contract.

8. Carolina Baptist

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would think they should demand the executives be replaced with people with a business plan and a back bone to stand up to the UAW. The Senate shouldn't compensate for the executives by making legislation. That is pure government interference which is something the GOP normally hates.

10. Carolina Baptist

The bailout itself is government interference. If it is going to happen, we need some required changes that have a chance to make the companies competitive.

I agree that many of the executives, enculding all three CEOs, need to be replaced.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the way things have gone recently I fear the executives will get big bonuses for talking the government into the bailout.

12. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

=====================

Not fair nor comparable, Ken. If you are reasonable you should know this!

'conservative evangelicals' are not card carrying members of a POLITICAL or WORK FORCE ('economic') organization:
    Who are the members of the 'conservative evangelicals? Are they who we refer to when identifying our understanding and acceptance of Biblical values and its expression in the whole of life in spreading the gospel. The financial influence and power of the 'conservative evangelicals' is in the areas of church and mission and benevolence to the needy.... not in supporting political candidates or parties.

They have no allegiance to any party, but expect that all parties and candidates who value the ideas and ideals of the individual, the institutions of faith and family, will have respect for opinions expressed from a Christian's perspective and acknowledge their viewpoint whether or not they support every view..
    ====================
    [return to topic]
    The executives are willing to concede their incomes.
    Where and what are the workers willing to do?

The unions are collectives and part of the problem and resistant and encumbered by their own inability to change direction quickly. In the past they respond to good years and optimistic forecast to make gains for their membership and their leadership..... but now the times are reversing and the very industry on which their organization and collective power depends, will die if they can't adapt and make drastic changes...... which they wont..... it would set too much a precedent and unions always believe in futures.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vast majority of conservative evangelicals vote in lockstep for GOP candidates.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

>The executives are willing to concede their incomes.

Big deal for people who probably have $billions in Swiss banks. It will not change their standard of living. Will they also burn their stock options?

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Exactly! The $1 salaries are for show. These guys' salaries are a small percentage of their compensation.

It has been the decisions of these incompetent, inept, overpaid prima donnas that have made the decisions that have bankrupted their firms...not the guys & gals on the assembly line who go to work everyday to execute decisions made in the corner offices.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a chance , but you have some strange fears.

Jealous? Envious?

What's the biblical word? Oh yeah...covet, one of the "thou shalt not"'s.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you come to conclusion that you have no other choice. Gavin Newsom, the mayor of San Francisco, all but laughed the anti-homosexual marriage ministerial delegation out of his office. My federal choices are Boxer, Feinstein and Speir or candidates to their left. And you expect me not to vote a straight GOP ticket?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone doesn't live in San Francisco or California. :)

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What happen to Willie Brown? Wasn't he a decent mayor?

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeup, and rides in a place of honor in the annual G*Y Pride Day Parade. Without him in the State Assembly, the g/y political machine would not have the power its has today. He sees the "g rights" struggle as a follow on to the civil rights struggle of the 50s and 60s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.