1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing to Atheists and Agnostics

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by ChurchBoy, Apr 20, 2003.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I started this thread to share our experiences witnessing to atheists and agnostics. Recently, I've been on the James Randi Educational Foundation board talking with atheists/agnostics. Quite a difficult "missions field" to say the least!

[ April 23, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: ChurchBoy ]

2. FearNot

FearNot New Member

Yes, this is a very difficult group to witness to. Most athiest per se I don't believe are true athiest. In most cases these are people who are angry at God about something. They then begin to deny His exsistance as if to get back at Him for whatever they are blaming on Him, usually the death of a loved one or a life not gone the way they wanted. If you can find out the point they began denying God, you increase your odds of effectively witnessing to them.

The remaining people are usually the type that don't like authority, they don't accept the authority of an all powerful God who holds their life in His hands. They want to live life the way they want without any guilt. This group is harder to witness to than the above.

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very, very good topic!

There was a time that atheist were allowed on this site and this forum was one of the places where they were allowed to post. During that time I learned a great deal about what debate techniques were effective and convincing and what techniques were not.

The very nature of discussing "belief" systems is that both parties must agree on what they mutually believe. One of the best starting points with atheists was morality. Even if they condoned homosexuality, all parties could usually agree on issues that were archetypically amoral; i.e. murder, pedophilia, beastiality, theivery, etc. From this platform a constructive dialogue could be established.

The weakness of the atheist's position is soon established in that they are unable to truly cite the source of their own moral code. Thereby, the believer is enabled a platform in that he knows the source of morality, that being God.

The Apostle Paul recognized the neccessity of common ground in fruitful dialogue. When Paul addressed believers, such as in Romans, he spoke of the Risen Christ. When he addressed Jews, he spoke of the Old Testament Scriptures. When he addressed the pagans and unbelievers on Mars Hill in Acts 17:22-34, he used a common altar to the Unknown God. At each step, once a fact was established, a new platform could be established from which he could take the fledgling convert further.

Spouting Scripture at an ateist is a futile way to witness to them, IMO, with a few possible exceptions, such as the story of the woman at the well. An important point to remember is that Paul did not reach all of his audience either. The Christians in Laodecia, mentioned first in Colossians 2, are later scorned in Revelation 3. The converted Jews in Thessalonica witnessed to in Acts show themselves to be rebellious in Acts 17. At Athens, the majority were not swayed. Christ Himself showed great concern for the single individual in Luke 15:4. The Army of God is built one soul at a time and though we may lead many to Christ, only the Spirit will truly convince and save them. Therefore, it is important that the witness does not become discouraged. We may never see the results of our words and actions, but that does not negate the fact that they may very well be effective.

One final thought: it is difficult to go up against a group of atheists. The group mentality holds much power over the individual and the potential convert will be reluctant to concede any points for fear of rejection from his group.

As I said, good topic and very worthy of discussion.

[ April 21, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Thanks Clint,

Since I just joined this board, I didn't know that atheists used to allowed to post messages. What happened? Were they banned? On the JREF lots of poeple have asked me questions and challenged me to "prove" christanity. I realize that I can never prove God exists through a DEDUCTIVE argrument but I can show compelling evidence through an INDUCTIVE argument. However, since the JREF is a skeptics forum there is an "intellectual" barrier. A true skeptic can NEVER accept anything based on "faith" They must see evidence before a skeptic acdepts something as true. The "intellectual" barrier is really a "spiriual" barrier. There is an underlying hostility. Some of the people that have reponded to me have a real anger or hatred toward God. Some of them truely believe that if one believes in God, then that person is irrational, or ignorant, or weak, and can't think critically. Insults do not sway me, though.

One 16 year boy especially has real problems. Even the other atheists tell him that he is too angry. He has shared how his "Christian mother" grounded him for an entire summer when she found out her was an atheist. He used the JREF boards to vent his anger and hatred toward God. But I know that I must pray and and ask God to give me wisdom and patient...

5. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

I'am glad someone has brought this up..
    mabe i can learn how to get threw to my
    brother inlaw, cause he is a atheists..

He is a very quite man & he does not talk
    much, but when we did bring up church & we
    invitied him & my sister to church, He told
    us real fast that he didnot believe in God.

So mabe i will learn something that will help
    me to get threw to him.
    now my sister i'm not sure, she was the oldest
    of 5 children so i was only 7 when she married,
    so i'm not sure how she believe's, but i know
    she pretty well goes along with her husbend..

So i will keep in touch & read this post & pray
    someone can give me some in sight on how to get
    threw to him...

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

How do we get one of the moderators to move this thread to the missions/witnessing/evangelism forum? This is a great topic!.