1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Witnessing to Catholics

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although compared to the New Agers, the progressives, atheists, and other groups I think they are more open minded, the reality is that they are a closed group. I tried to witness to one this morning and she was completely closed. In her mind its all about doing good works and not judging other religions as being wrong. But I said you cant agree with the Bible and agree with other religions because they are in complete contradiction to scripture. I think that Mike Gendrin of Proclaiming the Gospel ministries creates the best tracts for witnessing to Catholics, and I use one of his tracts as a quick reference guide when I witness to a Catholic.

http://www.proclaimingthegospel.org...!/Rome-Vs-The-Bible/p/2500112/category=636671

Use this tract to aide you in witnessing encounters with Catholics for it lays out the doctrines very well and contrasts them with scripture.

But in a way I wish Denver had a bigger Catholic population so when I go out witnessing (as I will today) I can open air preach right from the tract and people will understand what I am talking about. I would open air with a Bible in one hand and the tract in another.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is off topic, but what religious group do you encounter most in Denver?

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humanism, atheism, Deism, or some of the Progressive Christian Groups.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do, you must hope that they don't know the catechism, because the author has not done a thorough job.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And I can honestly say that giving a Catholic a tract like this will not convince them of anything. The best thing to do is to study the Scriptures with them. It takes time.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the few shortcomings in this tract the author has others. I think if you will do some research you will see that he is an expert on Catholic theology.

As I said before I am not suggesting that you merely pass out the tract. I am suggesting that you use it as an aide for conversations with Catholics.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start with the Trinity. It is a platform of agreement we have with Catholics.

Use a Douay-Rheims Bible Rheims - the NT is almost word for word in agreement with the KJV.
    Let them know it is a Catholic approved Bible.

Jesus Christ - Second Person of the Trinity. He died for our sins. The gospel ... 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.

At some point probably on subsequent visits you will have to deal with what they have attributed to Mary His human mother. They (RCC) teach that she is "The Mediatrix of all graces" among many other things.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Hebrews is an excellent book for Catholics and a bible study teaching the superiority of Christ over all (prophets, priests, angels...).

HankD (Former Catholic)

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes for a sit down chat with a Catholic that would be another matter. But you can't do all this with a stranger you meet on the street or online so the tract is best. And yes Mike Gendrin is a former Catholic as well.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to a Bible Institute with a Catholic for 2 years, I talke dto him on main doctrines, but did not push it, asked him to look them up in the Bible... Next year, he came back and said tha God saved him during that summer, and that he was now Baptist! I did friendship evangelism wit Him, an we sought he truth in the Bible on the truth ofthe Catholic doictrines....
    We ended up in a prison ministry fo a year afterwards!

Do not thinkthe Hekkfire ones by Chick would mae much of a differene to him, as tha was trut withoutl love!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience was that bein a realfriend, and making sure let h bible address thoe Cathic errors worked best!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best way to wotness to a Catholic is by being a good friend , and to focus on main doctrines of the Bible!

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That assumes that you know Catholics that are open. I know Catholics that are closed to reasoning but thus traditional Catholics.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When are you going to start spell checking your posts?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us are closed until the Lord opens our eyes, so just be a good friend, and share Jesus and the man doctrines in a non confrotational way!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trying to get better....

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My mom was a diehard Irish Catholic and knew all about the law. Someone coming her to her to tell her that her church's doctrine was wrong wouldn't have done anything because she was taught that it was truth and that's it. Do you know what brought her to the Lord? His love. The fact that He loves her and was not some guy in the sky looking to zap her at any wrong thought or deed (because a lot of Catholicism is all about guilt). When she understood that "God so loved...", she was done. That was all she needed. It was a dear sweet best friend of hers and another woman who met with her regularly over a period of months who brought her the the Gospel and it took time. THAT is how you witness to Catholics. Evangelism is not a drive by shooting.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was unconditional forgiveness for me, an expression of love to be sure.

HankD

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Pastor and half our Baptist church were ex Catholics, so God reached them by friends/family, not hanging chick tracts on them!

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK but some Catholics have probably been affected by Chick tracts.
    I have never used them myself but who knows. Only God.

HankD

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but she couldn't get that in Catholicism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.