1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Witnessing To Catholics

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Kara, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Kara

Kara New Member

I need to witness to my grandparents and my father, who are unsaved Catholics. I do not know what to do or where to start. Can somebody please show me direction? I pray about it every night.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

When God provides the opportunity, witness to them using passages out of their own Bible, and don't make "quitting the Catholic church" the priority. Instead, reach them with their need for Jesus as their personal Savior.

3. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

hi you know what we have the same situation.it concern on my parents who are catholics.well im planning to send my father (well he is working abroad)refutations on the teachings in the bible vs. what the catholic church teach.do it w/ kindness and love then in the end you ask them who will they believe.and always pray for them that God will touch their hearts.thats the most important thing to do. [​IMG]

4. Servent

Servent Member

5. Psalm 126:6

Psalm 126:6 New Member

I've got the same problem too. I'm a first-generation Christian in my family- EVERYBODY on BOTH sides of my family is Catholic- in other words, unsaved. They all think that every religion's allright, as long as you believe in God. They don't understand the need of a PERSONAL relationship with Jesus Christ, no matter what is said. I just have to continue to be a good witness to them, and live by example.

6. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

Yes its very hard for them to understand as if your gonna make a big change of character etc.Some fo them thinks this is all for the money.I got in really looong arguements about this. I hope youll pray for me to be a good witness to them. :rolleyes:

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go to a Catholic book store and get a Douay-Rheims Bible.

Focus on the words of Christ in the Gospel of John (read it a few times).
    Here is a good place to start. This is from the Douay-Rheims

John 14:6 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

Ask them what this means. You may have then have opportunity to go to the context.

HankD

8. mioque

mioque New Member

Kara
    Close to half of the members of my church are former Roman Catholics.

To give meaningfull advice however, more background is needed.
    What kind of Catholics are we talking about? Are they conservative or liberal? Active churchmembers or just nominal members of Catholicism? Heavily into pilgrimages, relics and rosaries or would they fit in with a mainline Protestant church without to much fuss if things were different?
    Have they a sort of favorite sportsteam kind of emotional connection to the Catholic Church or are they more detached?

9. frozencell

frozencell Guest

If a Catholic truly believes in Christ and has accepted Him as Saviour, then they are already "saved". It would be more fruitful Christian talents to spread the love of Christ to those who do not know Him in this way or don't believe in God period.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never talk about what Catholics believe. Talk about what the Bible teaches and use their own Bible. Keep on track and stay focused on the real issues and don't get sidetracked by discussing religion.

11. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Christianity is religion. You can't evangilize without talking about religion. And, secondly, no one is going to want to here what you have to say if you refuse to talk about anything they want to talk about, no matter who they are. I encourage talking about what they believe.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christianity is religion. You can't evangilize without talking about religion. And, secondly, no one is going to want to here what you have to say if you refuse to talk about anything they want to talk about, no matter who they are. I encourage talking about what they believe. </font>[/QUOTE]I was a Catholic when I was won to Christ. The arguments are endless in Catholicism. The point of our faith is Jesus not Catholicism or protestantism.

You are right Chrisitianity is a religion. But it is not a man made religion it is a pure religion.

I know from experience that you can spend your time on side issues and not the real issue. You can discuss the differences between being a Baptist and a Catholic. There are many, but they do not bring people to Christ. Everyone must realize their need for Christ. I have met many Baptists who are not Christians too. They were immunized with a little of the real thing but just enough to keep them from getting the full does of the real thing being Jesus. Their religious experiences keep them from listening to God's word in such a way that all they hear is what some religion tells them and not what the Bible teaches. I know that happened to me for the first 18 years of my life until someone knocked on my door and told me of my need for Jesus.

I do believe that most of witnessing is listening rather than telling. But they still must be told.

13. frozencell

frozencell Guest

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but we differ on who has the "fullest" religion.

14. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

if your gonna touch some part of what catholics believe be sure in the end they must choose.the bible or their religion.you can get some and more in this website:
    justforcatholics.org

again pray, pray and pray for us who has love ones that are not believers [​IMG]

15. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Here's a website that is a good resource. James G McCarthy is a former catholic and has written some excellent books on the subject of witnessing to Catholics.

http://www.gnfc.org/

16. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

17. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

iould like to thank those people who posted websites.well i certainlly gonna use them.

18. lindz

lindz New Member

i would write some advice, but i need it too! I know plenty of catholics and i have no idea what they beleive! My vice principal @ school is one and he says it's the bonds of marriage, priesthood, and like 5 other things that get you to heaven and if that doesn't work then ,as he said, "there is always salvation". Then I have 2 friends who are siblings who say that they are saved. I know catholics can be saved but they seem really committed to the Catholic Church.

19. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

When I was a boy 12-14 years of age I went to a cotholic church for 2 years(my stepfather was catholic).I studied the catechism,memorized the prayers in the rosary,and went to mass.You would be surprised to know how much catholics believe that we believe.You would also be surprized to know how many are actually saved by Bible standards.That is not to say that I go along with all of thier doctrine and practices, if I did then I would be a catholic.
    Don't assume that because a person is catholic that they are not saved.Ask them the same questions you would anybody else when you want to find out if they are saved or not.Unsaved catholics when they see what salvation is will accept Christ as Lord and Savior just like anybody else.