1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Witnessing to Jews and Muslims

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 25, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you brother. This has been the best advice on this thread and I appreciate it. Since I do not know any Muslims and they seem to be rare in DT Denver on the streets I had the thought of sending a letter to a Muslim place of worship. I have some books on the Muslim faith, and I believe some tracts as well (http://www.fellowshiptractleague.org/tract_html/english/160/page_flip/160.html) but what are the odds they will respond? I will write my letter in gentleness and respect (1 Pt 3:15) and pray for a response. I have prayed over all my letters I have sent out and shall pray for an opportunity to witness to a Muslim.

John

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I can't help but notice that you've not answered this question. I know it seems off topic, but I ask for a specific reason. You've mentioned John Piper time and again on this thread and in others. Piper is on record stating that he believes in "varying degrees of reward" in Heaven.

If you are going to uphold these men as somehow of seemingly equal strength to Scripture (going by your reliance on them), then you ought to be able to defend/debate their theological stances. I know quite a few people who do not hold to Piper's stance of degrees of reward. I think the equal reward to believers, as being heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ, is explicitly scriptural.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You won't get an answer. As soon as you disagree with him, he stops responding.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I guess so...I thought it was a fair question, considering his reliance on Piper et al...

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes I do. But off the top of my head I can't think of the bible verses. Books by Piper only help me understand the Bible better and they are valuable. This year I have tossed at least 16 books that did not take the bible seriously as in had too much psychology or secular arguments.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those who recognize counterfeit money know what real money looks like. They spend their time studying what real money looks like. The older I get the more I realize the need to listen and ask strategic questions about what a person values and see as important. By listening I find what is at the core of their beliefs and can ask the person questions about what they believe. I have never found anyone who say what they believe is false until they recognize it for themselves. When we see Jesus dealing with the Sadducees he used only the Torah. When He dealt with the Pharisees He used the entire OT. One cannot possibly know about every religion every person believes in America but we can know scripture and use it when asked for the hope we have. I have shared my faith with Muslims and found if I listen carefully then very often because they begin to doubt their own faith when asked the right questions they will ask me what I believe. That is my time to share Jesus. I never take the position that they are wrong and I am right. I give them the freedom to disagree and ask me questions from the point of view that we are seeking the truth. There have been many times I have learned more about my own faith as they ask questions because the dialog makes me think more about what I believe and God uses that to help me understand him better. I have seen times when I have better understood some passages simply because I am sharing my faith. We must give people respect and carefully listen to them. There are too many who claim to have the truth but they share the truth unwisely and so the truth is seen as coming from an arrogant person and in need of the truth. Proverbs 16:21, "The wise in heart will be called understanding, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness." Proverbs 16:23, "The heart of the wise instructs his mouth and adds persuasiveness to his lips."

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure. Make very sure. Make very, very sure.

Confront the wrong Muslim, and you're dead, and maybe your family. Confront the wrong Jew, and the front page news will tell of a Neonazi, Fascist, scum-sucking, antisemitic bigot, preaching on the street corners. Practice saying, "You want fries with that?"

Not saying God hasn't called many to die for the faith. Just make sure. Make very sure. Make very, very sure.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No I am sending letters in the mail with gospel tracts and wrote up the Jewish temples asking for a chat on Messiah. I also include a Josh McDowell tract and if they respond I have some of his books defending Jesus as messiah. I am taking the role of apologist in this context and not open air preacher. The books are helpful to highlight scriptures and archaeology and historical evidences defending Jesus as messiah.

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I know this will sound trite, but are you taking your Bible, too? Remember, when Philip preached Jesus to the Ethiopian, he didn't run back to town to get the writings of whatever elders were about, and he didn't hand him tracts and tell him to go buy a book by so-and-so author. Philip opened the scriptures to him. That was enough for the Ethiopian to confess Christ as his savior and seek baptism.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reread my post man. I carry my Bible with my every time I witness.

11. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet it is clear to everyone on this board that you don't view the Bible as Sufficient since you always direct people toward man made books or tracks not the Bible.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is also apparent that you have an agenda to discredit me and are not very truthful nor honest. Also it's not like I encourage any humanism philosophy books or tracts. My books and tracts are loaded with scripture.

One thing you do not understand is the difference between a humanism book and a bible based book. Take for example the following books

Your best life know
    The purpose driven life
    How to win friends and influence people
    Think and grow rich
    Quitter

These books may claim Christ but it's obvious from the content the Bible is not their authority which is more their experiences, worldly philosophy, and humanism.

Then compare to these books

Success Gods Way
    Faith Works
    Radical
    Desiring God
    Until Christ Returns

These books are loaded with scripture and some of which are commentaries. The bible is the sole authority in these books and the author makes this obvious. Compare Stanley's Success Gods way to the book Quitter or another humanism success book and see EXACTLY what I mean. I test all books in light of scripture as the bereans did and toss garbage ones.

#32 evangelist6589, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I have no interest in discrediting you, evan. I'm just kind of concerned that you seem to rely on the works of other men, basically contemporaries to you and me, instead of relying on the inspired Scripture of God.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Re read my post again

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know one person who could make that claim. I share my faith whenever the opportunity arises and that may be almost anywhere. One time I spoke with an employee while we were high up on a roof.

16. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow you seem to know a lot about me if you can make a statement about what I do or do not understand.:laugh:

17. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That brings back fond memories of discussions I would have with my associates at work. During slow periods we would have all kinds of discussions and they all knew I was a Christian and why. Plenty of opportunities to share the Gospel. I even gave one a Bible of his own to read and encouraged him to read the book of John that lead to some good discussions.

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've been in the ministry for 12 years, and while I always have a Bible in my car, I don't always have one with me. I'm glad you're able to have your Bible with you all the time, evan. You're doing better than me.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is great. Thanks for sharing.

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome