1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

witnessing to the lost

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor Chet, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Pastor Chet

Pastor Chet New Member

If we spent as much time and effort in reaching the lost as we do bickering back and forth on the discussion boards, maybe the church would have more impact on the world. What do you think?

2. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Maybe, But, then again the lost have to be ready to listen. This old world is becoming a very dangerous place for a true Christian. And, in this day in age, you might get killed for saying a word to the lost, but, you might have a point, although i've never argued with anyone on here [​IMG]

God Bless

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Chet, what are YOU doing here? :D

4. Gunther

Gunther New Member

No one else would be saved, unless you actually believe you can change the future or are an arminian.

What are you doing sleeping? You could be out witnessing.

What are you doing in church? You could be out witnessing.

What are you doing eating? You could be out witnessing.

You see where the "glorious" arminianism leads?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think in some ways you are right but in others I would disagree.

If you read the gospels you will see Jesus regularly debated issues.

But I do think there are some people who would prefer to debate issues with Christians rather than confront the issue of the need for salvation with those in the world. Also there are those who avoid the tough issues and just "witness for Jesus." I believe that when we read the gospels we Jesus as doing both. Paul certainly did both. James says that a real genuine faith is written in the hearts of men and not just a statement of faith written on a page. I think there is a balance of the need for accurate teaching and preaching. I believe that we have people who are distraught and discouraged because they have listened to someone who has misinterpreted a passage or verse. ATwo good ones are Prov. 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs are principles not promises. Another is Phil 1:6, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." That lies within the context of a prayer. So it must be interpreted as a prayer. Too often I have seen it interpreted as a promise. The context is a prayer not a promise.

6. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It leads to the opposite spectrum of "glorious" Calvinism. Why witness, when God's taking care of everything anyway?

7. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Wrong. You apparently don't understand calvinism.

We witness because we know that God has sheep out there. God has chosen to USE men to proclaim the gospel of Christ that is part of his means of saving people.

This is for another thread though.

I just wanted to help you understand.