1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wittnessing

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rasbob, Jan 14, 2005.

1. rasbob

rasbob New Member

Are we Baptists doing an injustice when we try to get people to pray a pray for salvtion? Is salvation a plan or a person?

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It's hard to know because you have not told us anything about how you present the gospel.
    IMHO if the gospel is presented properly a prayer would serve to firm up in the believer's mind what they have already believed and accepted.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I agree Bill. I have seen "prayers" for salvation misused. Personally, I don't think it is right to have everybody in a crowd at a "so-called" Christian concert to do a "repeat after me" prayer.

On the other hand, a person who has been completely presented the plan of salvation, who wants to do it, who can answer questions about what they are doing, the prayer does solidify and give the person a reference in their mind. Even though technically, the salvation may have occurred the very instant that they understood and accepted it in their mind.

It is a mistake to think that all people are saved after they walk the aisle and talk to the pastor. Often, people who understand may very well be saved the instant they decide that they accept Jesus, even before stepping into an aisle. Then again, a child or person with little knowledge of salvation may require a lot of counciling before they understand and accept.

I do think there is too much emphasis put on a "prayer" that must be said. I have heard pastors say if you cannot remember praying that sinners prayer you are not saved. Weeellllll, I think that is a bit much.

Just my 2 cents.