1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wives and wrong husbands

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mareese, May 16, 2005.

1. mareese

mareese Guest

Women if your husband is not showing biblical love at home does this give you the right to stop loving and giving of yourself to him?

1. Yes I believe I should still fulfill MY role as the loving obedient wife.

2. No I do not have too continue in that way because my husband is not submitting to that which God tells him to.

(yes I took this from Tim's post)

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And I take my answer from the Holy Bible.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I am not a woman--but I will respond---

Having a husband who is rebellious against Holy Scripture does not give the wife an "avenue" to NOT be obedient to that husband!!

Scripture is crystal clear! In 1Peter 3: 1-6 reads, "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning, let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him Lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement."

But if you look in that first verse---

"if any obey not the word"----this word in Greek is literally the word of truth of Scripture--the word that proceeds out of the mouth of God

"they also may without the word be won"---this word in Greek is literally the word that comes out of YOUR mouth

What does this mean???

You have a husband who is rebellious against the word of Scripture?? You have a husband who is disobedient to the word from the Word???

Don't nag!!!

Now, a rebellious spirit from a husband----thats the dirt that covers the coffin of a marriage----but a wife who "nags" her husband about his rebellion---thats the flowers that covers the dirt that covers the coffin of a marriage!!

Bro. David

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "if any obey not the word"----this word in Greek is literally the word of truth of Scripture--the word that proceeds out of the mouth of God

"they also may without the word be won"---this word in Greek is literally the word that comes out of YOUR mouth
    ------
    ?? both are "logos", so how can you give it different meanings? Logos, literally means speech or something uttered (strong's 3056).

Maybe you are looking at a different text than I??? or it is early and I might have sleepies in me eyes and am missing something :)

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1 Peter 3:1, "In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. Your adornment must not be merely external--braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always cringe when I hear a husband, wife, or a teenager say, "I have a right to..." The best thing we can do for our marriage is to yield our rights and leave them at the marriage altar.

Jesus, our supreme example, yielded His rights because He loved us with an everlasting love. That love was not based on you or me returning His love; He loves us regardless.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mt. 5:46, "For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?"

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

The scripture is even clearer than that part already posted. This is what Paul said in 1st Corinthians 7:12-14:

But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

And the woman which hath a husband that believeth not and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Anything less is the wife's disobedience to God.

10. mareese

mareese Guest

I'm pleased with the replies in both this and the thread that deals with men.
    I had hoped for such equality, but was unsure of whether or not it would happen.
    So far, posters in both threads gave equal responsibility to both men and women to fulfill their duties to their spouses.
    [​IMG]

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I stand to be corrected--I didn't give the full implication of the Greek words---my apology!!--but would like to use a quote by Greek scolar Kenneith Wuest pretaining to the subject

Wuest quote-----The husband was to be won to the Lord Jesus not by nagging, but by holy living. Peter says, "that even if any obey not the Word, they may without the a word be won." The second occurrence of the word "word" does not have the definite article in the Greek text. These husbands were to be won to the Lord Jesus now without a word from their wives.

---Wuest--Volume II, Chapter 12, pp.72-72.

Thanks for understanding and I do apologize again for the misunderstanding.

Bro. David