1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Wives

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

This is definitely an interesting thread.

I am not seeing the "using drugs" argument fitting in. A drug is much different than a woman. A woman is a human being. You can't just toss her, and possibly a child, aside and call her a sin, right?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, no person is a sin but the actions are. One man with multiple women is adultery.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Scripture proof, Ann.

Surely, if you present something as a sin, you should be able to demonstrate by both Scripture law and example that it is truly a sin.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For the casual reader of this thread, I want to again state that I am not in any manner endorsing neither do I support that God's best is found in multiple wived marriages.

Such a family structure would disqualify the adults of that family from any leadership in the assembly.

Should the family be a part of the assembly, certainly there would have to be with some understanding and teaching that the pattern of this family unit is not what is best, nor the pattern of a family "God originally intended."

This thread was meant to explore that structure and teaching so that folks could preempt any confusion, strife, and disunity the enemy might incite by having already explored the issue. That the structure and teaching be according to Scripture and not humankind "I think...."

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have time to answer fully but really? You are asking for Scripture proof that having sex with more than one woman is sin?

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are applying the view that the OP presents new believers in an uncommitted relationship and not that which an actual marriage has taken place.

It is important that you actually show that the marriages of the believers is not supported by the Scriptures; in that thinking, you are obliged to use Scriptures that also show real life practical examples that some of the patriarchs of the Bible committed and continued in the sin of adultery by having more than one wife.

In particular, it would oblige you to specify how two of the descendents of Israel by his second wife are not to be disavowed as children "out of wedlock."

Also, in particular, it would oblige you to specify some Biblical example of the breakup of the family unit because such an arrangement was/is considered sinful and not to be tolerated in the local assembly.

If you are going to condemn the new believers for something they have never been exposed (remember the issue is cultural not legal), then it is important that it can be clearly shown by Scripture and not merely by superimposing a standard unsupported by Scriptures.

I agree that the best standard is one man to one wife. That is what God started (as Christ states).

Does God condemn as sin what does not meet His best standard?

If so, then the Scriptures would certainly and clearly state such is the case - especially in this particular issue raised in the OP.

Is there a personally devastating sin named adultery?

Certainly, Abraham committed that sin, and we see the effects even the current world affairs of this day. Immorality/adultery is sin.

Is there a sin for unfaithfulness?

Certainly, David had a child out of wedlock and open rebuke was brought to his life. Immorality/adultery is sin.

But, do these examples apply to one who (as David, Jacob,...) has actual multiple wives?

Marriage nuptials is not immorality/adultery - not a sin.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this thread has about run it's course.

I really do hope that some church leaders will be given enough foresight to preempt a future problem by taking the Scriptures and Scriptural principle and not jump to some cultural or legal bias based thinking.

God's best is one man to one woman marriage.

Does He allow other conditions?

Certainly (see Exodus 21, Deuteronomy 21), however, none of those represent what God presented as the best.

There is also the issue of temptation.

Some posts are correct to raise this as a warning. I think 2 Samuel:12 is the finest example of the rebuke of God when one succumbs to the temptation of immorality and steals or intermingles with what does not belong to him. Perhaps much of the warnings of the Proverbs is a reflection upon the action and rebuke brought to David.

The same warnings are about any issue in which temptation(s) can be strengthened or gain a foothold.

>>>>>>>>>>

I do want to thank all those who posted on the thread. I didn't expect it to become so sensitive as it did, but I didn't think it wise to back down from the issue(s) either.

Those who had their "spirits exercised" in the discussion will no doubt continue to reflect and meditate upon this subject for some time.

That is very good.

Too many times, the assemblies (or staffs) are set back by some reverberating blast from some unexpected area.

The purpose was to engage discussion that would cause folks to take the time to think through what the Scriptures actually teach about this matter, to prepare not only what would be Scripturally sound educationally for the assembly thus providing for some element of common ground thinking to enhance unity, but also to righteously impact the youth - that they be without excuse in this area, too.

It is important that as youth mature, they understand the blessings of God are not as great when dwelling in what is "acceptable," but are open and full by getting as close to what is best as humanly possible.

Paul indicated this principle when closing out the book of Romans:
    30For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience, 31so these also now have been disobedient, that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy. 32For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all. 33Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 34For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? 35Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? 36For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.

1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, 5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; 7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; 8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

9Let love be without hypocrisy.

Abhor what is evil;

cling to what is good.

10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love;

give preference to one another in honor;

11not lagging behind in diligence,

fervent in spirit,

serving the Lord;

12rejoicing in hope,

persevering in tribulation,

devoted to prayer,

13contributing to the needs of the saints,

practicing hospitality.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He MUST have only one wife, first one , and all other women in this would/need to be treated as being his "sisters in the lord!"
    And he needs to support all of them financially!