1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women as ministers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 21, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Do you think it's appropriate for women to be in minister positions? If so, which one's? If not, why? Play nice. [​IMG]

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, to start off, I'm going to post a link that I've posted before on this subject. Now I know it's from another denomination, but it's the best apologetic I have ever seen on the topic. Please read, and have an open mind to the explanation given here.

WOMEN IN MINISTRY LINK

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think it depends on what kind minister. Like in the roll of pastor or the roll of children's minster, or women's minister.

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Donna, what is your take on each of these?

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

If our SBC seminaries are going to continue to crank out female education, youth and childrens ministers, I assume that the SBC in comfortable with the concept and thier roles in our SBC churches. I am as well.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

That's a good point. Never thought of it that way.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I thought this said it best. [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Many SBC churches have women on staff with the title of "minister" and they generally serve in a pastoral capacity. So yes, in this context, they can serve as ministers.

IMHO, I believe the title of minister should be reserved for those who are ordained/licensed. The title "Director" would be more appropriate for someone who is on staff but has not been ordained/licensed.

I believe those that serve the church as Pastor or Elders are reserved for men as instructed in I Timothy. There is somewhat of a double-standard in our SBC churches. We want men to be Pastors, but we will allow women staff members to be in positions that cause them to effectively function as Associate Pastors.

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Can you give me some examples of what you mean exactly? Do they have degrees in the field or not?

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

As long as they aren't pastors then fine.
    (remember the question is on ministers, not deacons or teachers).

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I thought this said it best. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]While that is fine for pastors, but what about other ministers in the church? Aren't you (or weren't you before) leader of the women's ministry, that would make you a women's minister.

12. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

chipsgirl,

It's popular for women to serve as "Minister to Children"

--Jeff

13. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I go to a conservative SBC church (no CBF affiliation) and the pastor's wife is music "director". She basically directs the choir and under the supervision of her husband picks out the choral hymns. I know alot of women that are directors of children's ministries. At my church the children's director is not a paid staff position, but it is the same as what you would see in a larger church.

By the way, speaking of the women's education, what's the deal with the programs in Women's studies at the different seminaries? For example, SEBTS has a Master's of Women Studies or something like that? What's the point of those degrees?

In Christ,

Brooks

14. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Is it appropriate though for a woman to get a degree to be a minister? I would love to go back for my masters.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

A woman can't be a pastor, but why can't she be educated? It shows she has taken the roll of teaching(whoever she teaches) seriously and is eeking to be as faithful as she can. And if nothing else for her knowlegde and edification, which will show up in her teaching.

Not that she needs to be educated to be qualified to teach or anyone who isn't, isn't qualified.

16. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone read the link I posted? It does give scripture to back up the statements. Just curious.

And by the way, I personally prefer a man as pastor or youth leader, but only because I think they are received better by the folks they serve, not because a woman cannot do the job.

But I don't think the right woman pastor in the right setting is doomed to eternal damnation.

17. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I read it Debby and found it very interesting actually.

18. pinky

pinky New Member

The first Evangelist, part of the 5 fold ministry was a female. Jesus told her to go tell the disciples He was alive. So, here we have a women commissioned by Jesus to proclaim, tell men the Good News.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

min·is·ter

One who is authorized to perform religious functions in a Christian church, especially a Protestant church.

20. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The first Evangelist, part of the 5 fold ministry was a female. Jesus told her to go tell the disciples He was alive. So, here we have a women commissioned by Jesus to proclaim, tell men the Good News."

So true! [​IMG]