1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Deacons

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by following-Him, Oct 16, 2005.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I am sorry to bring this subject up again but I am in the process of looking for a new church and finding it difficult to find one which believes in a male only diaconate.

The following is a reply I received from one Baptist church regarding women deacons:

I would welcome your comments.

Thank you and God Bless

followinghim

2. natters

natters New Member

Why do you require an all-male diaconate, when it has been show scripturally (Rom 16) that a female was a deacon?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

1 Timothy 8Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, 9holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. 10But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless. 11Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. 12Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 13For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Apparently a deacon has a wife, meaning the deacon is a man.

4. natters

natters New Member

That passage assumes the deacon to be a man, but does not require it. What of Rom 16:1?

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    followinghim,

To avoid a pointless argument with some others I just want to tell you it was hard for me to find a church with all male deacons or a church that did not support women as pastors. I finally found a SB church that was traditional in theology and did not support the CBF. I myself pastor an independent Baptist church though I am still SB. Try looking at some SB churches to see which ones support BFM 2000. God bless you. I pray in any case you will find the right church.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one spends time studying the Bible and the practices of the early Christians he will find that women deaconesses had a place in the church among children and other women. In fact the pastor did not deal with women. Other women did.

There is plenty of evidence that the early church utilized women in ministry. There were women whose responsibility was to work with other women and children. They performed pastoral work with the sick and the poor and helped at baptism. From the earliest times deaconesses visited the sick, acted as door-keepers at the women's entrance to the church, kept order among church women, taught females in preparation for baptism and acted as sponsors for homeless children. They also carried official messages. There was a clearer line drawn between the sexes than there is today. Women deacons were not on the same level as men deacons. They could not teach and minister to mixed groups of people or men, and they were not ordained.

For the first 1200 years of Christianity there is loads of evidence of woman deacons in the church. However, the Western Roman Catholic church never had them. Whereas the eastern church did.

Almost every country outside of the U.S. has women deacons in Baptist churches.

The emergence of deaconesses is unclear. But in the third and fourth centuries the office deaconess developed greatly. In a letter dated 112 A.D. Governor Pliny wrote a letter to the emperor Trajan. 'In it he mentions a couple of deaconesses.
    (Book X, XCVI, 8, 289)

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1 Tim. 3:11, "Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things."

8. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you to you all for your comments.

As Donna kindly quoted (1 Timothy 3:8ff) I hold to this teaching and I feel that the church I currently attend is compromising Biblical teaching in that we have three female deacons on our diaconate. I feel that when we enter the realms of compromise we are on a very slippery slope, which can only take us further away from the Word.

Here in England there are very few Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Churches and I live no where near any of them.

It would appear in my search that a lot of Baptist churches have an open membership. I will prayerfully continue my search.

Blessings

followinghim

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Natters the word used in Romons 16:1is servent this word don't always traslate to Deacon ,it sometimes means : succourer=helper.

10. natters

natters New Member

Samplewow, that's what a deacon originally was in the early church. A deacon was not the "office" it is in many churches today. Phoebe was a truly a deacon (a 'diakonon') in the original sense of the word.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Those are God's instructions, not mine.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

There is no reasonw hy women can't minister to each other. But they do not have to be ordained deacons.
    God has given us an order, and we need to stick to it.

13. natters

natters New Member

Deacons are not "ordained". A deacon is simply a servant, a helper. Like Phoebe.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    followinghim

The I Tim. passage does not say "the husband of one wife", it says "a one-woman man". It literally referred to a man who was always faithful to his wife. This is a higher standard since men can be unfaithful, and not divorce, and still be disqualified as pastors and deacons.

What I have always found interesting in these texts is that the qualifications for pastors are almost identical to deacons, except in the middle of the qualifications for deacons, the word "women" is used.

It is not "their wives" as some say. That is a different word in Greek. Why would Paul include comments concerning the qualifications of "women" in his statements concerning deacons if he were not referring to the women serving as deacons?

The problems we have in many baptists churches is that deacons hold positions of authority over other men, which would disqualify women.

The deacons have taken on the responsibility of the elders (the pastor being one), which should not happen.

If deacons have no authority over men, then the issue of female deaconate is mute.

By the way, Phobe was the letter carrier for Paul's letter to the Romans. It was standard practice to ask that the letter carrier be taken care of by the recepients. (Rom. 16:1+)

15. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

natters come on do you really think your bride or anyone elses bride should be a deacon?

16. natters

natters New Member

Why not? Being a helper is not a male-only duty. Phoebe was one. My wife is church treasurer, and Sunday School director. She's already helping out a lot. If someone wants to call her a "deacon", including herself, I have no problem with that.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometime read what Spurgeon said about ordination. One time I wrote the SBC about it and the responder felt it was mostly because of tax laws that we ordain people. That was from SBC leadership in Nashville.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a substantial difference between a deaconess and deacon in function and relationship to the pastor in the early church. Most churches today seriously violate early church practices in the lines of communication form the pastor to the females in church. That went through a deacon and then deaconess first.

19. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

natters I think it's great that your wife is doing this work you speak of.

Do you think that she should be on your chuch board?

20. natters

natters New Member

I don't know. Was Phoebe on a church board?