1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women deacons

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

You can be a deacon if God calls you to be one and your church will ordain you. You can be a youth minister. You can even be a pastor if that is what God wants you to be. Sme of these people may be stuck in the first century still living under that century's cultural tabbos regarding women, but the bible is full of women doing everything men do. God is not limited by human doctrine. In Christ there is neither male nor female. So serve Christ as he calls you, and don't think because you are a woman GOd has automatically limited you.

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: Ladies...inspite of what bro.David just said the prohibition against women being pastors,deacons.teachers(of men)IS NOT a 1st century cultural thing.It is a BIBLE COMMAND given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit at the hand of God's man...the Apostle Paul.This is God's directive which neither man or woman has ANY RIGHT to violate.God has HIS order of things and the answer why is found in 1 Timothy 2:13-14.READ IT...it will guide you right.There are plenty of honorable God-ordained things any woman can do with the blessing of God and under the leadership and guidance of the Holy Spirit and according to Proverbs 31,woman has a place of blessing that is just beyond compare.....BUT..you must stay within God's ordained boundaries...just as man must.It is NEVER right to do wrong to get the opportunity to do right.Do Not Be Deceived.Believe your Bible...NOT the wisdom of man.Selah!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

In my personal opinion i do not think a woman should be in a spot of leadership. Woman are more likly to think on emotion and not logic (i am goin by what a female friend has resurched) i believe any church authoraty should have logic first and emotion second because a church should have emotion because it helps those in need but one church cant help all with limited finance.
    i do not think woman should be youth leaders because woman cannot cater to the learning of young men. I also think a man should be present in teacher boys under 12 to becuase boys need a male influence in church. I am speaking from experience of being a boy with a female teacher.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If women serve as deacons in the practical sense--that of serving, I have no issue.

If they really are doing the job of an elder, then I would.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

DFW3,

Your post was no surprise. Will respond with Scripture tomorrow, or rather later today.

6. RonJon

RonJon New Member

The Bible clearly illustrates that women are not to be in authority over the man. Paul clearly illustrated that to be a deacon you had to be a husband of one wife: again, a male position.

But I SINCERELY believe that women are just as useful and important in the service of the Lord as men are.

But children are to be in subjection, and the Bible never states anything against women teaching children. But it does command it! The older women are to teach the younger. And just as one has already stated, a 13 year-old boy has NO authority over a woman.

I believe that the Bible gives a general principle covering this topic: Women are not to be in any position that would usurp authority over the man.

Some do not like that, but that is what the Bible states.

7. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

You can't just come up with any off the top of your head?

Don't bother, I am quite familiar with the scriptures, those you will quote to prove what you already have decided to believe, and those you will ignore that challenge your low view of womanhood.The bible is full of examples where women do all and more any deacon in a modern SBC church does.

8. atestring

atestring New Member

oh let um deac

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Women do think using emotion AND logic. Isn't that what someone in charge of youth should have? I'm old-fashioned in a lot of ways but I feel that if God calls you to be a youth minister, you can't ignore that. I never imagined that was something I would ever want to do. No human even ever brought it up to me. God did! I can't go against that.

10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Amazing, you know what I am going to write before I write. You are also sure that I will be unable to respond to the common egalitarian mishandling of the texts. You are also sure that I will ignore some. Lets wait and see.

I did note that you toned down a bit. From "the bible is full of women doing everything men do" to "the bible is full of examples where women do all and more any deacon in a modern SBC church does" (1/17/05-22:07 and 1/18/05-8:31). I expect that you anticipate my proving your first comment to be quite an overstatement.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sorry chipsgirl, I cannot imagine God putting a young single woman in as a leader with teen boys. There's too many chances for temptation or even an appearance of evil. If you're really called to work with the youth, let it be with young women or younger children.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not stuck in the first century, stuck in the bible, times may change with feminism and all, but God and His word does not change.

13. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would your church ave women deacons if the bible defines them as men, and leaves no room for women to be deacons? </font>[/QUOTE]What is there IN THE ABOVE DESCRIPTION that a woman cannot / should not do, where it is not already noted? Keep in mind we are not all SBC here.

14. yabba

yabba New Member

I find it interesting that many people are only stating that Paul writes Deacons are to only be men(which he does in 1 Timothy) but are so easily ignoring that he himself sent Pheobe as a "servant of the Church" the Greek of which could also be interpreted deaconess or even minister.
    One of the beauty of Pauls letters is that he sends instruction to many different churches in many different phases of their growth and maturity. As I said before, pray about your individual situation and recieve counsel from the leaders in your Church. It is extremely hard to say a difinitive without knowing the Church maturity and city situations.

As to single females working with teen boys, is it any different for single males working with teen girls??

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

America is one of the few nations that does not have women deacons in a Baptist Church.

The problem I see is that many Americans equate women deacons and men deacons. History shows that the early church did not. Each had a proper place.

16. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    That statement does not apply to all Baptist associations. The definition of "deacon" also varies.

17. mioque

mioque New Member

"The definition of "deacon" also varies."
    "
    We have a big cause of problems right here. if one church uses the term deacon to cover all churchofficials and another makes a distinction between Elders, Deacons and jobs without any designation, debate becomes complex.

18. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

We don't have "elders." We have elected Deacons and elected Trustees. And a host of other boards and committees. Including a moderator.

We don't "ordain" deacons. Someone mentioned the idea of a Board of Directors. If you combine our Deacons and Trustees, that's what you'd have. Of course, our church is so small, that there are a number of people who hold both offices.

There is talk, however, from our new pastor, of rearranging the structure to have a governing board above all of that, and have each of those folks serve as sort of vice presidents, each overseeing an aspect of the church business/ministry. If that happens, that may well find me in the position of the director of education - children and adults included. Would anyone have a problem with that since the Lord saw fit to make me female?

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why would your church ave women deacons if the bible defines them as men, and leaves no room for women to be deacons? </font>[/QUOTE]What is there IN THE ABOVE DESCRIPTION that a woman cannot / should not do, where it is not already noted? Keep in mind we are not all SBC here. </font>[/QUOTE]We may not all be SBC, but we are all christians, which church does not matter when it comes to what the bible specifically says, and it specifies that deacons are men, husbands (which aren't women). Not being SBC does not mean it is ok not to follow scripture.

20. yabba

yabba New Member

I'm curious donnA, how do you reconcile Romans 16:1 and the fact that Pheobe was a deaconess, who was also the deliverer of the letter to the Roman church in which the responsibility of explaining Paul's intent to the reader(men included) was included, with the fact that Paul also told the Corinthian Church in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 "34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."? So should they not do anything in church? Teach children? Keep quiet? Deliver letters? Be servants of the church?

The answers are not nearly as concise as you have emphatically claimed.