1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women deacons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Thomas Helwys, Jan 25, 2013.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Correct....but, the opposition refuses to address the context: Instead they will insist on debating the term "use the office of"...who cares?

They will not reasonably address your argument about what the Scriptures clearly teach are the list of qualifications...instead they will merely call you a dinosaur who despises "equality" or some other non-quantifiable term...

You hate "equality" Bron...that's the argument :sleep:

2. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

It's the Hillary response. What does it matter? Of course it matters. If you could present the Greek word for "office" in the the text, you would. But you cannot, because it isn't there. I believe ANY & EVERY addition to the Word of God is an error. I am surprised at the willingness to dismiss changes to the text just because it conforms to modern tradition. I doubt you would so nonchalantly disregard additions to the Word by Catholicism or Mormonism.

If we believe in a word for word translation of the Bible, then let's not vary from that interpretational method just because it appeals to our own theology.

#102 michael-acts17:11, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Without the added text, the "office" is nonexistent. It is a state of being, not a formal position within a hierarchical religion. That is the liberal world's methodology. God's way is always best. Even when it contradicts our human reasoning. I'll stick with the real text, you can keep your translator-added doctrine.

Where did the "equality" comment come from? It has nothing to do with equality, it's about fidelity to the text of Scripture.

#103 michael-acts17:11, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  4. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

#105 michael-acts17:11, Feb 2, 2013
  6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#106 HeirofSalvation, Feb 2, 2013
  7. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I know, it's a crying shame that I hate equality so much, HOS. But the real truth is equal status, different functions, just like the Godhead. It has worked in our family for almost 29 years and I don't see any reason to change, especially not when it includes compromise for the sake of political correctness. Romans 12: 1-2 and Psalms 1: 1-2 are still in the bible. Honoring God's word and order of things has brought blessings to this family and brought us thru the fiery trials.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

God called a Gentile to write part of the New Testament.

You are reaching the silly stage now.

"Culture" has become the canned excuse for those who want to question Scripture. The simple truth is that deacons are to be the husband of one wife. Now I realize that the left is pushing homosexual lifestyle and marriage as an acceptable lifestyle but that acceptance does not apply to the word of God.

That is simply false!

Now I don't see mutual submission in the above passage. If you thoughtfully read the chapter you will see that Verse 21 refers to the previous 20 verses and is not talking about mutual submission of husband an wife.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I said I would not post in this thread again, but I want to post this important link; it shows that my hero, Thomas Helwys, and the first Baptists in England, the General Baptists, supported women as deacons:

http://www.baptisthistory.org/contissues/deweese3.htm

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And? They were wrong Biblically. End of story.

11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It has been shown that they were not wrong Biblically.

And since you are not God.... yes, end of story.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh really? I haven't seen it. I HAVE seen the Scripture:

"Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. " 1 Timothy 3:12

Kind of hard to put a woman in that qualification. So since Scripture is really quite crystal clear.....

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Oh really? You have been given many scriptural passages which contradict your interpretation, and the passage you quote has been explained also, showing that it does not mean what you claim it does. But since all of this tears glaring holes in your unbiblical subjugation of women, you attempt to ignore it.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Which posts?

And make sure you are dealing with verse 12. The one that says "Let deacons each be the husband of one wife" and tell me how a woman can fit that qualification.

#114 annsni, Feb 2, 2013
  15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You have shown nothing from Scripture that contradicts the requirements for a deacon from 1 Timothy 3:12 and you cannot! There are no Scriptural passages that contradict 1 Timothy 3:12. You may be able to present various interpretations of some other passage of Scripture in an attempt to prove your argument but 1 Timothy 3:12 says what it says!

16. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

No, Thomas, no offense, but it has been shown that the qualifications for deacon have to be for a man only. Period. You can rebel, you can protest, but you have not a leg to stand on biblically.

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Go back and read the thread. I'm not going to do it for you.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

You must not have read the entire thread, either.

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I was going to tell you to go back and read the thread, too, but no use. You who believe this way will just ignore any contrary evidence.

No offense taken, by the way.

You, annsi, and OR have a right to be wrong, and as a Baptist I'm happy that you're exercising it. :)

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Look to me like many of you think that the only gifts that women have access to are teaching other women, or children, cooking church suppers, and cleaning up afterward.