1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Women in Ministry...a 3rd position:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Jan 30, 2013.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm sorry for assuming the worst about you...that shouldn't happen...I don't recall any previous posts by you, so I was going off that one post exclusively...I was hoping to prevent you from assuming the worst about complimentarians as well.

Your bolded definition is what I would have a problem with...that you believe we INTENTIONALLY disregard passages that might challenge our position.

It is beyond the scope of a forum post, and I'm sure I disagree with some on the details...but I truly believe the general complimentarian position takes into account all those passages you say we ignore, and explains them in light of the whole teaching of scripture, including, but no limited too, the general leadership (in the ruling capacities of churches) of men in the New testament. I also think that Paul's teaching on Male headship in the home plays a part in our understanding of their roles in the church. If anything, I would say the arguments for male headship in the home are stronger than those for in the church, but I think they are both right.

I have only recently looked into the fact that all the male descriptors in the NT are refering to Elder, bishop, overseer, NOT to "pastor". Which is why I can emphathize with the Gateway view that women could be shepherds...but not overseers.

Oh, yeah, and women can be deacons...no doubt...when deacon is defined and practiced scripturally as servant, not ruling board.

At our church (SBC), we let a woman speak for the whole service about her trip to israel, along with scripture passage and bible teaching and encouragement/exhortations mixed in. It was very good. But it was also done at the request of the Elders. She was not exercising authority over us.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Just checking, what do you think of my post #4?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In our modern definition, elders are called "pastors". :)

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I find it to be just a complete, shamefull embarrasment that the Baptist/Evangelical comununity..MY community..is so out of touch regarding leadership/Senior Pastor positions for our women

Its baffling.

Goodness, it one of the few things where the Liberal church has got something RIGHT!

The scriptures..(meaning the WHOLE of the scritures, not just someones favorite proof verses.)...are overflowing with proof that women have always been in leadership positions, both before and after Christ. The scriptures are presented in abundance, yet they are not concidered. Sad.

#24 Alive in Christ, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So in other words, the Scriptures contradict themselves?

Show me this abundant proof. Show me one woman elder.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

AIC,
    You have missed it completely here,and this is why there can be no agreement.You statement is unbiblical ....far from overflowing......a woman ruling over a man is judgement ....

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jerome,
    I am sure Mrs Bartlett was a godly woman.that was not the question.
    I have a picture of Spurgeons deacons ...they all had beards:thumbsup:

Which one was Mrs Bartlett?:laugh:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess the beauty shop was closed that week. All us good Christian women get waxed regularly so our beards are non-existent. ;)

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

QUOTE=annsni;1949149]So in other words, the Scriptures contradict themselves?[/quote]

The scripturers NEVER contradict themselves. as they are God breathed.

You dont need me. Surf the scriptures your self..with an OPEN mind. You will find the evidence you are seeking.A concorance would be beneficial as well.

God bless

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC,

Maybe you could list 5 good ones.....How many Levitical priests were women? In fact were there any priests that were women?
    Aic...you made your statement and Ann is correctly asking you to supply your proof.......I think she will wait along time for that:thumbs:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::wavey:

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So you're saying it's simply a matter of confusion if we start calling women pastors...not necessarily unbiblical?

If there was no linguistic baggage, and this church decided to go only with biblical definitions...they have decided correctly limit "elders/overseers" governing role to men, but don't see the word "shepherd" (in noun or verb form) to be limited in that way?