1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women leading mixed Precept study??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jacob, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Jacob

Jacob Member

Thanks for the feedback - it is helpful.

For the people that believe it is wrong:

Do you think it could possibily be ok because she is "facilatating", not authoritative type teaching? Really she's encouraging everyone to sorta teach each other. Although she does lead in prayer at the beginning and end.

Do you think it could be made right if she co-taught with her husband?

2. atestring

atestring New Member

My goodness Precept studies is written by a woman.
    This woman teaches all the time.

This woman teaches to mixed groups of men and women all the time. What is the big deal??????

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Agree. The only way to keep men from learning things from women is to:

1. Strictly separated the sexes and punish any unnecessary conversation between them.

2. Make sure women are abominably educated so that they fall far below the level of knowledge of men in general.

Perhaps we could follow the example of the less progressive Muslims in this.

Otherwise I'm afraid it's unavoidable.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, I don't think prophesying is the same as teaching or preaching (which is usually exegeting/interpreting scripture for the assembly). I do not think the bible supports women doing this kind of teaching for men. As someone pointed out, the reason for this goes back to creation.

How can God tell us that the man has spiritual headship in the home but not in the church? I think teaching scripture in the church is one of the marks of that headship.

5. Jacob

Jacob Member

Yes, I agree. But what about "facilitating" a discussion?

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

NOT trying to pick on you, Marcia. I realize you don't "preach" as far as directly exegeting Scripture. But you draw on Biblical principles in your conferences and presentations, don't you?
    Do you ever have concern about men listening to you or reading the great articles you write on-line?
    How, practically, is that OK but someone else going through prepackaged materials not?

And, by the way, keep going! You do a great job.

Karen

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hi, Karen -- Right, I don't preach. Using biblical principles or references is not exegeting scripture nor is it pastoring a flock. I have not been charged/ordained with being an authority figure in either pastoring or exegesis. I am lecturing on the New Age and the occult.

The point I was making is that women should not be preaching or pastoring.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If it's over a mixed group and is seen as a position of authority or leadership, then I don't think it's right. I think the issue here is authority and leadership, which I do not think is biblically a role allowed women in the church.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Wow! Kay Arthur teaching men via video?

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I am not sure whether these questions are in naive sincerity or sly sarcasm. However, we are comparing apples and oranges. Women are not prohibited from witnessing, testifying, praying, singing or praising God publicly. However, they are not to do Biblical teaching or doctrinal preaching as exercise spiritual authority over men. Let's not trivialize the issue by extrapolating to the extremes of restricting women from every activity, even legitimate ones.

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Are you for real? For her to have instructed you in doctrinal matters of the faith in church is one thing but what you learn from association with a godly, mature Christian is another. It’s hard for me to take your posts seriously since I have an abiding suspicion that you ridiculing my beliefs.

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Overall, you are on target but I can't recommend to pastors theology texts or Bible commentaries by women.

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

It's simple. They just simply don't want to do it that way. They want to do it their own way. Like Frankie and Burger King, they want it their way. Hasn't that been the story of mankind since Eden?

14. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Nonsense. You are confusing preaching with prophesying. The two are not necessarily the same and do not mean the same thing in every mention of Scripture depending upon the context. In context, prophesying can mean praising God, doctrinal preaching or foretelling future events. In I Corinthians 11:5, προφητευουσα is better understood as testifying or praising God than prophesying (foretelling) or doctrinal preaching. Also, Philip’s daughters did not preach to Paul; they praised God and testified in his presence. Your hermeneutics is flawed with eisegesis.

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

So what? Is God a respecter of persons to make exceptions for Mrs. Criswell. What are her particular qualifications to expound Scripture? I doubt that being married to W. A. necessarily qualified her in this area.

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No, I don't think prophesying is the same as teaching or preaching (which is usually exegeting/interpreting scripture for the assembly). I do not think the bible supports women doing this kind of teaching for men. As someone pointed out, the reason for this goes back to creation.

How can God tell us that the man has spiritual headship in the home but not in the church? I think teaching scripture in the church is one of the marks of that headship.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Kudos! A very wise and preceptive observation by a very astute lady. (BTW, I find your web site interesting and helpful.)

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Beka Horton of PCC taught a weekday class for many years that men attended. (Bite tongue here.)

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

It militates against Scriptural teaching. Isn't that a big deal or is cultural acceptance the norm?

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

If it's over a mixed group and is seen as a position of authority or leadership, then I don't think it's right. I think the issue here is authority and leadership, which I do not think is biblically a role allowed women in the church. </font>[/QUOTE]My position on this issue should be fairly plain from my posts. I think Marcia has it right--she seems to clearly understand the issues and boundaries. I am impressed with her ministry and I believe it meets the Biblical standards. It is a blessing to see a lady with a ministry that is true to the Biblical bounds. By her example, submission, obedience, good sense and Biblical understanding, Marcia has made a much better case for the role of a woman serving God than I could ever do with my Greek, theology and logical reasoning. Well done, Marcia!

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Hi, Karen -- Right, I don't preach. Using biblical principles or references is not exegeting scripture nor is it pastoring a flock. I have not been charged/ordained with being an authority figure in either pastoring or exegesis. I am lecturing on the New Age and the occult.

The point I was making is that women should not be preaching or pastoring.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Very well said!