1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Praying from the stage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim1203, Apr 24, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't have a problem with women praying as long as they don't preach too.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry TC. I couldn't help myself. It was too good to pass up. :laugh:

But in all fairness, I get a kick out of "women" jokes too. :thumbs:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You bunch of babies. :laugh:

I just turned 49. Only a few months before I'm half a century old. :eek:

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by rule?

We know that women could pray and prophesy in church (1 Corinthians 11:5). Now Paul didn't like it if their heads were uncovered, but from the verse it is obvious that praying and prophesying did take place in church by women ... and we know that from I. Cor. 12:28 that prophecy ranked higher than teaching.

#44 Crabtownboy, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have had bad experiences with judgmental deacons and don't have a very opinion of them. I divorced an adulterous wife after five years of her adultery when she finally said to my face, "I won't change."

I only told the pastor why I divorced, and in two different churches the deacons wanted me removed as the song leader because of being divorced. I saw no reason why they needed to know the details. Each time the pastor stood on my side. One even threatened to resign if they removed me as the song leader. I have gotten very discouraged with being with other "Christians" because of their self-righteous, judgmental attitudes. I am not "living in sin" in any way. In as humble a way as possible, I would place my life up against most any deacon in comparison. I'm far from perfect--God's still working on me, but I don't think I deserve to be condemned for divorcing an adulterous woman who refused to stop.

The original deacons were meant to be "servants" and not leaders. Now they have become 2nd-in-command in the churches, and some even place themselves over the pastor--thinking they have the right to fire the pastor.

I have no problem with women praying out loud in church--whether from their seat or standing at the pulpit. One Sunday school teacher at my church gave her testimony in place of the sermon one Sunday evening, and she also prayed. She didn't preach but gave her testimony of the abuse she suffered as a child and how God brought her through it. It was quite interesting--more so than many sermons I've heard. I enjoy hearing people's testimonies of how God has worked in their lives. That is something real that I can relate to because of my miserable childhood.

#45 Jon-Marc, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, this has become the norm in many Baptist churches. People expect the pastor to do all the work, and the deacons "supervise" him. It's all backwards.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is amazing how many pastors buy into the same thing out of fear and job security.

8. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

It is a heart breaker, maybe the deacons need to take a few moments and research what the authority of a deacon is scripturally. I cannot say I agree with the situation of the praying by the woman. Was it representative of the church body or was it her personal prayer. Might be time for a Deacon election.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A funny thing happened at a church I once attended. The deacons wanted one of the men to be a deacon. A few times he told them that he did not want to. One day one of them was persistence and tried to persuade him to consider being a deacon. The deacon even mentioned the fine qualities the man had and how all of his kids were following Christ. Finally after the deacon's persistence the man told the deacon that he was divorced when his wife left shortly after they were married. He was studying to be a pastor and his wife did not want to be a pastor's wife. So she left and divorced him. A few weeks earlier I told my wife that I would like to have the qualities the man had. Many in the congregation saw that husband as wife as a tremendous example. A funny thing happened at a church I once attended. The deacons wanted one of the men to be a deacon. A few times he told them that he did not want to. One day one of them was persistence and tried to persuade him to consider being a deacon. The deacon even mentioned the fine qualities the man had and how all of his kids were following Christ. Finally after the deacon's persistence the man told the deacon that he was divorced when his wife left shortly after they were married. He was studying to be a pastor and his wife did not want to be a pastor's wife. So she left and divorced him. A few weeks earlier I told my wife that I would like to have the qualities the man had. Many in the congregation saw that husband as wife as a tremendous example.

#49 gb93433, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the reasoin why in the list of qualifications is that they must be tested first.

11. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly, and I would like to add it is the one office that has qualifications but is given no authority.

12. Chinch

Chinch New Member

women praying?

as with most secondary issues in most churches I always put things like this in my file folder that I finally labeled--a "little" knowledge is a dangerous thing"!!