1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Preachers?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by VoiceInTheWilderness, Sep 7, 2002.

1. SBG

SBG New Member

No I feel the Bible prohibits this.

Is she referred to as Reverend? I was wondering why you called her "minister"?

2. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Because she Ministers, I could call her Director but I see no need to make that distinction. I do however appreciate this question and would like to hear what others have to say. Her title is Minister of Music and Childrens Education, I suppose Maverick will correct me on the music part. Let's talk about this I am interested in learning. I do think Matt 20 :25-28 fits this woman what do you think? She is now Minister of Music only and we haven't posted her new position yet so maybe I need to look at this more closely.
    Murph

3. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murph, I think that is partly why the Scripture refers to the pastor and deacons wives. They have to be of good character because they will be helping their husbands. If their wives are immodestly dressed, smoking,cussing drunkards (or dussing cunkards)the pastor can be the next Paul or Peter an his ministry is fairly shot.

I think that also keeps things in order. If you have a mess of female "under" deacons you run the risk of the appearance of evil if Deacon Bill and "under" deacon Sue are doing something like cleaning or preparing the Lord's Table on Saturday or Tuesday night at the church. And indeed, you put them in an unneccesary place of temptation as well. Thatis why our church secretary is the pastor's wife. If he runs off with her that is just find especially since they already have 9 kids together.

Set up a women's ministry and turn them loose with each other. That is the best deal that I see.

4. SBG

SBG New Member

I guess I was struck by the word minister. I believe it is thought that word is synonymous with Reverend. It least it was for me.... I think Director, would be appropriate. That way it would eliminate any confusion. IMHO.

5. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

Where is that in scripture? It is this type of reasoning that fueled the feminist movement. Women can, and do, hold positions of authority in the secular work places, and they do a fine job too. Would you prefer the times when women were kept in the menial positions and not paid the same wage as men for the same job merely because of their gender? After all, we wouldn't want a woman making as much or more money than a man, right? :rolleyes:

I am against women holding positions of authority in local churches because it's biblical. But trying to stretch that into the secular work place is wrong.

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe that is because you separate the secular from the sacred. Men are to be the authority in the home and the church, but on the job women get authority. That would not be logical. Man's authority is across the board. Is God only the God of the home and church or of the workplace? Why would he have a different game plan for the workplace. Did you read Isa. 3:12. Note that Barak is in the hall of faith in Hebrews 11 not Deborah. When the nation is right with God everyone is in their right role and all works wonderfully. When you have everyone doing that which is right in their own eyes you get a Deborah (she was a great lady, but only in the position because the nation was out of God's will) or you get a Isa 3:12 where the children are rebellious and women literally rule.

4910 mashal (maw-shal'); a primitive root; to rule:
    KJV-- (have, make to have) dominion, governor, X indeed, reign, (bear, cause to, have) rule (-ing, -r), have power.

Indeed, do we not have women CEOs, politicians and pastors? Welcome to judgment and Isa 3:12.

7. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Hey it put me to thinking,Thanks. What is the ruling on the term minister, does that person have to be ordained, licensed? I had a male choir leader at my last Church who we called Music Minister but he was not ordained. Let me know what everyone thinks.
    Murph

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The differences between men and women are always to be viewed in terms of function not in value or status.

The man and the woman have separate and distinct functions that have been set forth in the Word of God. That has nothing at all to do with inferiority or superiority. In our relationship to Christ, we are on equal ground.

1Peter 3:7 "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life ; that your prayers be not hindered."

Gal 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

The woman's function in the church should be very similar to the mother's function in the home. They are to set the "spirit" in the church. They are to be a helpmeet. They are to help train up the children and set the example for the young ladies.

These are not inferior functions, they are very important positions. Any time we step out of God's ordained positions, that is when trouble begins.

I thank God for the godly ladies he has given us in our church. Our church is a sweeter place because of them.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

(all emphasis mine)

All you have to do is look at today's society to see proof of this in living color!!

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It seems clear to me that the Scriptures prohibit women from serving in the office of elder and the ministry of the deacon.

11. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] Pastor Bob!!!!

In the military,if you have 2 Bird Colonels assigned to a project one has to be in charge. They may both be super qualified in the same field, but one has to be the head and if all else fails they go by date of rank. Adam has date of rank but that in no way infers that Eve is inferior or unqualified for duty.

As to minister it was once only used of ordained men making it equal to Rev, but doesn't Farakkhan call himself Minister? A minister is a servant and we are all servants. Most Music Ministers ahve always been men so not an issue until you bring in a woman.

12. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Agreed but were those men ordained as music ministers or simply called minister.
    Murph

13. VoiceInTheWilderness

[ September 17, 2002, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: VoiceInTheWilderness ]