1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women preachers

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Heavenbound01, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Heavenbound01

Heavenbound01 New Member

I have been raised a baptist all of my life,and we were taught that a woman should not preach. there is a place for women in the church,but not to preach. what do you think? do other baptists believe that to?give me your opinions.

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

The passage most commonly employed verse here is 1 Timothy 3:1-2. If a MAN desireth the office of bishop...Husband of one wife...

I don't think this verse meant to say whether or not a woman could be a pastor - it's describing qualifications for the office.

I do however think that the bible answers the question in the negative variety. I think if Paul (progressive though he was) had envisioned women being pastors he would have had to defend his position as this would have raised eyebrows. The fact that he doesn't say at all means IMO that he didn't consider it a viable option.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Any woman who is a preaches in the context of the assembly is in sin, always.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think there is a diference between a woman preaching and one who pastors. I see nothing wrong with a woman preaching if welcomed by the pastor. That often is the case when a woman comes from the mission field to tell what is happening and proclaim God's word. She is under submission to the pastor.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

But still in violation of God's word. The pastor has no authority to overrule God's word. Church autonomy ends when Scripture forbids the practice.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Why don't you be a little more specific Daniel David. I agree that they cannot pastor but what fault do you find in a woman speaking under submission of the pastor?

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If nothing else, I think women can and should speak/preach/teach other women.

If men want to enter the room, more power to them. Otherwise, get their lame selves out of there.

8. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

The great missionary, Lottie Moon, preached the gospel to many in China. Her "sin" of preaching as a woman resulted in many converts.

I believe that the office of pastor/elder/bishop is reserved for men as given in Scripture. It's a part of God's order. However, who am I to stop a woman from preaching the gospel when no man will do it.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

See? That's just it, Jeffery H!! There ARE PLENTY of men out there that ARE doing it---and there are plenty of men out there who WANT to do it---and there are plenty of men out there who WILL do it---thats not the issue--

The issue is twofold:

1)Women who usurp authortiy over a man---and choose to rebel against the word that calls Pastors as male figures.

2)Churches who are in rebellion against what the word from the Word says about Pastors

And if you study your Southern Baptist history---you will find that Lottie nor Annie ever pastored a church!! They were missionaries with a call to evangelize.

Blackbird

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's no scriptural support for this extreme view. None. Simply talking to a group of people about the Gospel is not a violation of scripture at all, for either a man or woman. The great commission applies to both men and women. To forbid a person to preach the Gospel simply based on gender usurps a person's directive from Jesus himself to preach the Gospel.

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your child accepted the Lord under a women pastor would you say they aren't really saved? I don't think women should be excluded from the role of preacher or pastor. I don't think of it in the terms of not having enough men to fill the pulpits so let the women fill in... I look at it as a matter of someone feeling they are called to ministry. I wouldn't allow someone decide what the Holy Spirit was calling me to do and I will not do that to anyone else, women or man.

13. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

John, I do apologize for not having been feminized in my theology. The statement is not only NOT extreme, it is wholly consistent with the biblical revelation.

The great commission is for all people to share the gospel "as they go". The N.T. gives EXPLICIT instructions regarding the assembly of the church. Women must not preach in the context of men, ever.

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. Red herring. Actually, that is a big red herring. The salvation of souls depends on the sovereignty of God, not the cleverness of man. God can save a person IN SPITE of the messenger. God can save a person through the preaching of a mean-spirited person. That doesn't mean we act mean-spirited or allow others to.

2. Had you written any of the N.T., this might be a valid opinion. However, since you actually disagree with the N.T., I must reject your feminized theology.

3. Why? Are not women commanded not to TEACH OR exercise authority over men? Sorry to have to interject Scripture to refute your position.

4. How do you know that "call" wasn't really indegestion? God doesn't call a person to contradict his word. Therefore, we can reject those people as ignorant and lacking in basic discernment.

5. The Holy Spirit sure is getting a lot of blame for bad theology around here.

15. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Ok so let's see women can have babies, bow down to thier husbands, and cook dinner right?

OH OH OH And clean house?

They are not good enough for anything else?

They cannot read the Bible they cannot take someone in hand and lead them to the Lord?

Wrong,

I led my husband to the LORD by my actions after I was saved. My actions spoke louder than any Sermon, tract, My life showed HIM, God's word.

Let's not forget this k?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The issue is not one of feminisation, it's one of non-genderism. You view violates the Great Commission, which is not gender specific. You views is not feminized. That's good. However, it skewed as genderized. That's bad, in this case.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Lea, I am glad to hear of your husband's conversion. You apparently followed the biblical revelation quite well and we will rejoice continually in Christ over his salvation.

1. Well, they can do all those things. I don't know if you were asking me or being sarcastic. In case you were asking me, I will have to defer to someone else to talk to you about babies, bowing down, etc.

2. Again, they can do that. I must have missed the question.

3. Whoa, who said that? I expressly spoke on the issue of women preachers. I didn't realize that if a woman wasn't a preacher that she was good for nothing.

4. Again, is someone actually saying that?

18. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

My view is wholly consistent with the great commission. You tell me why you think that Paul violates the great commission. Paul's teaching is what expressly denies women the role of preacher and pastor. Sorry, your fight is with him. Feminists fight with Paul also.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Paul doesn't forbid women from carrying out the Great Commission. Paul would not contradict Christ.
    That's a matter of interpretation of some select verses, but it's not abundantly clear in scripture as you claim. I have no fight with Paul. His teachings are consistent with Christ's. However, when some misinterpret Paul and as such contradict Christ, then it becomes an issue.
    More often than not, sexists quote Paul out of context. Quoting Paul in the correct context, however, does not make one a feminist, or a sexist.

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe the subject deals with women as a pastor! 'tis different than women carrying out the Great Commission. The word is crystal clear on both----the role of pastor is reserved for male gender only---the role of evangelizing the Great Commission concerns both genders!

DD is right---take it up with Paul---trouble is---to take it up with Paul---you're gonna have to take it up with Jesus

1 Corinthians 14: 37, "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

Period

Blackbird----and I am not a sexist---although I have been labeled as a male chauvinist---but only from folks who are sexist!