1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women preachers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 10, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm good point. Maybe I can say women evangelists that can open air? Pastor preached a great message today on evangelism. I need to step up to the plate and continue to send text messages and encourage people to do evangelism. Most will just "ignore me" which is sad, but regardless I will continue to try and get soul winners.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should use the law when you do open air, use tracts, or do one on one. No matter the method of evangelism using the law is the best way to bring conviction.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Woman atre NOT allowed/permitted per the Bible to be in "head authority" in the local church, so cannot teach as a Pastor, at least as the senior pastor in the church!

Can be deaconess, teach in say Sunday schools, alsobe involved in praise and worship etc...

Would see per OP. women are allowed to do street evagelism, as being witneses unto jesus...

just not permitted to have "formal" authorityin local church!

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

WRONG AGAIN! A woman cannot have any authority in leading the church or teaching men and if deacons of a church hold any authority over men a woman cannot hold the office.

#24 freeatlast, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In regards to in the church, I agree. In general, I have to ask: Wasn't Apollos taught by a woman? Didn't Paul tell the Romans to assist a woman in any business she had need of?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is what we know.
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    So we know she was not usurping authority or teaching men in the church.

7. JesusFan

What position did Phoebe hold in the early Church than?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

She was a deacon, but the position did not violate the command of a woman not having authority over men as it would in most baptist churches. Most baptist churches use their deacons as a plac eof authority as they set over policy and help run the church. A woman cannot do that even if called a deacon.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The Pauline directives here were given to a specific people at a specific time for their ad hoc purpose. These are not intended to be normative regulations for the duration of time. Women can preach from a pulpit or a street corner, and God bless those who have the courage to do what he calls them to.

(Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance begins playing) Thus saith boundtolast, but not any credible scholars.

We know that Paul said this to an early congregation. We should be asking what this means to us today instead of superimposing ad hoc directives over every historical context.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    evangelist6589, please take my posts as they are intended, rather than as they are being twisted. Thank you.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not according to the bible. Now if you follow some other book and some other lord then that is different.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's sad you would say this.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The bible clearly sates no woman can teach or have authority over a man. You believe a woman can. So I ask you what is left to believe except you are using another book and following someone other then the One in the bible. So let me ask you. Are you a member of a Baptist church?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that women can teach adult sunday school. Where did you get that in the Bible?

15. JesusFan

We have children church, so was referencing they would be teaching the kids!

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, "All At It":

"so were there no exclusions on account of sex. Men and women were to spread abroad the knowledge of Jesus. We read that, “As for Saul, he made havoc of the Church, entering into every house and haling men and women committing them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad” (and these must have been men and woman) “went everywhere preaching the Word.” There are many ways in which women can fittingly proclaim the Word of the Lord and in some of these they can proclaim it more efficiently than men. There are minds that will be attracted by the tender, plaintive, winning manner in which the sister in Christ expresses herself."

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, Apollos wasn't ever taught by a woman. He was taught by a couple - in private - big difference. It would be like my husband and myself teaching a young student of the Scriptures. There is no authority in that.

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a wonderful example of a poor, nuda scriptura interpretation. Baptists are finally opening their eyes to this and, hopefully in my lifetime, will come to embrace women following the Spirit's leading in their lives.

19. JesusFan

Have to decide here IF Apostle paul was JSUT wriiting specific guidelinals to just historical situation, or IF was meant to be guidelines for all times!

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watch out the theological liberals, and the seeker friendly types like to re-interpret the Bible to fit into their man made doctrines! No one who reads the Bible for all its worth can come away from it thinking that women can teach and preach in the church.