1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women preachers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 10, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the CBMW itself even claims to be Evangelical!

3. mandym

mandym New Member

OK?:confused:

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Rob Bell and Tony Campolo are evangelicals. Just because you disagree with them on non-essentials doesn't change that.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Actually I agree with that. But that does not ensure sound biblical positions. as they are clear examples of that.

6. JesusFan

They would be part of the left leaning Church, and I feel much better staying on the right side of the road!

Also...

Evangeicals once believed just the same as Fundamentalists, except that we were OK with higher education and were willing to engage the culture on their own terms...

Think the left/liberal side of the Evangelicals have basically compromised the church/bible/gospel to the "lets make it sound good/seeker" type of Christianity!

Good ole Social Gospel just with a different name!

7. mandym

mandym New Member

The best way I know to put it they have serious issues. Most definitely the far left side theologically. They can call themselves evangelicals but again being one does not ensure a sound biblical foundation.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

How are they liberal? Do they deny miracles and stuff like that?

NO! They are not part of protestant liberalism.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Neither one of them is a conservative. Campolo thinks he was saved through the heretical Centering prayer. Bell denies a literal wrath of God

#69 mandym, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Those are not liberal beliefs. You can argue that they are heretical, if you wish, but they're not liberal beliefs.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 14
    34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.​

Personally, I have yet to see these scripture obeyed to the letter.​

Once a woman enters through the doors of the church she is not allowed to speak at all according to at least the 1 Corinthians passage.​

i.e.
    She cannot have a conversation with anyone other than her husband and that at home only. Geography and XY coordinates are involved because Paul does say
    " let them ask their husbands at home".​

Therefore
    She cannot pray aloud.
    She cannot teach other women.
    She cannot teach children.
    She cannot sing hymns aloud, etc, etc...​

Now if you say that's going to far with making the boundaries too narrow then you must justify any of the activities above involving speech with other scripture.​

Once you do that however you must then make allowances for others who might disagree with you in their view of the expanding of the literal boundaries of these scripture which seem to say that absolute silence is required of women in a church environment.

An inch or a mile, what's the difference if the allowed tolerance is ZERO?​

IMO, It's up to the pastor and deacons of any given local church where the boundaries are to be drawn as opposed to what looks like a requirement of absolute silence on the part of women in the local churches.​

Again I have yet to see these principles kept to the letter.​

However knowing academically of the historical culture of Paul's day, I am sure that is exactly what was meant. Absolute silence.​

How about it FAL, is that what is required of the women in your local church?​

Thanks
    HankD​

#71 HankD, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So nothing Paul told us in the epistles applies to us today, if what you are saying is true.

Again, either the whole thing is true, or none of it is true.

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Exactly - but too many people sort out what is hard for them to follow, and then they say "Well, that only applies to the early church, not to TODAY" - Well, Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Good thing we don't say that grace only applied to the early church!!!

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Everything Paul said applies to us today. All of it is inspired and is useful for us today. The problem is, you can't simply read the Bible outside of its historical and grammatical context. You have to do your best to determine what it was saying to the group of people it was originally given to. We also know that God allows some things to happen sometimes that are not ideal in order for the purpose of the gospel to be carried out.

Again, read some of the books I mentioned earlier. These are not people watering down the Bible, but doing their best to interpret it correctly.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
    In my opinion these passages are many times taken to far. If the women were to keep quite you'd have a lot fewer Sunday school teachers. If you're going to say that women should not be street preachers. Then you had better get more men to do it because there simply isn't enough men doing it.
    MB

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a great example of that:

The Bible says:

DCorbett says:

17. JesusFan

deny the doctrines of hell bell
    Holds to Universalism Bell
    denies traditional hunman sexuality views/soft on jesus alone saves/social agenda Tony C

18. JesusFan

again, you cannot reinterprete Pauline theology/doctrines based upon current understandings of roles of women, human sexuality etc

far too many are claiming that paul misunderstood, did not know as much as we do now etc

they read back into paul, making pauline theology of their own, NOT one paul wrote!

paul was NOT a 'gay basher", was not "hating women" etc

Modern times, refuse to accept that there ARE biblical truths regardless of the cultural situation, would always be true!

Agree with youthat there were things specific to their times/culture, but headship of males was NOT one of them!

#78 JesusFan, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  19. mandym

mandym New Member

They are theological left doctrines. That is a fact that cannot be changed. In fact a denial of a literal wrath of God does not get any farther left.

20. mandym

mandym New Member

Rom 16:1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, ESV

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church that is at Cenchreae: ASV

Rom 16:1 I have good things to say about Phoebe, who is a leader in the church at Cenchreae. CEV

Rom 16:1 And I commend to you Phebe, our sister, who is in the ministry of the church, that is in Cenchrae: DRB

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: KJV

Rom 16:1 But I commend our sister Phoebe to you, being a servant of the assembly in Cenchrea, LITV

Rom 16:1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, MKJV

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church that is at Cenchreae: RV

Rom 16:1 I commend to you Phebe our sister, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: Webster

Rom 16:1 And I commend you to Phebe our sister--being a ministrant of the assembly that is in Cenchrea-- YLT