1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women, Stop Submitting to Men

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

BOTH men and women in a local church accountible to the spiritual authorities ordained of God, pastors /elders etc, ONLY as much as those would be obeying Word of God!

NO mandate for the wife to submit to those authorities in any fashion different than the men there, and submission would be to her husband only in the specific sense!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - My first response on the thread agreed with the article. :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is one translation's interpretation of the word but the word does not just mean "husband". Here are some verses that use the same word:

Matthew 7:24 (also verse 26) "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:"

Matthew 12:41 "The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas [is] here."

James 1:20 "For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God."

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. It was hogwash.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point is that is a case where the husband does not have authority. I think scripture balances things so well. When one looks at Eph. 5:22 "Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord." The condition is "as to the Lord. When I was a kid my dad would put hand something to me and tell me to put it my pocket. In every case I refused. My first responsibility was to do what was right not what my dad wanted. That is the same case with a wife. If in every case a wife was to submit to her husband we would have some wives going into a cult when their husband did.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you sure they are always ordained of God or in a number of cases ordained of man. It is easy to tell by what they say and the passion they have.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni, you might try looking right at the verses right after I Tim. 2:12 rather than in some remote passage. Paul demonstrates exactly what what he meant by immediately bringing up Eve and her relationship to her husband Adam.

#67 Jerome, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

the roles of a pastor/elder/deacon etc are all ordained by God in a local church, its just that the individuals in those positions may or may not be obeying God!

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Wives are to submit to their husbands even as unto the Lord.

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Also remember the other side though, rarely gets quoted, as the Husband is to love his wife as Chrsit loved the Church!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many pastors do you know personally who graduated seminary who keep up their Greek studies? If they did then their knowledge would be increasing and it would show in their preaching.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That was not the topic of the OP.

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

was just refering to those pastors who are in it to fleece the sheep, doing their own things, are really hirelings!

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this particular passage whatever do you think it means other than her man (husband)?

It is not just Young's Literal; Bibles have noted the meaning, from Wycliffe: "the hosebond", all the way to to NIV: "her husband".

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no genitive and definite article. Most of the NT uses Hebrew phraseology and in this case it does not mean the husband, the man, the woman of a man, but a man.

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or as Young's Literal puts it: "a husband" [which was mentioned several posts ago btw].

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, your mistaken.

The husband, as the head and final authority of the home is ultimately responsible for the protection and care of the home.

Therefore, it is never the place of a pastor or any church leader to assume such a position that the husband is displaced.

Even if the husband was not a believer.

The home is a earthly picture of the relationship of Christ to the church. I don't think anyone would dare replace Christ as the authority figure over his home and bride.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

in 1 Tim. 2:12 Young's is wrong.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Where did you get that information?????

Most of the Old Testament was in Hebrew.

BUT most of the New Testament original writings were in GREEK!

I can see it now. According to you, the early Ephesian, Galatian, and Corinthian churches would hire a Hebrew scholar to read the letters of Paul. :)

No, Paul read and wrote in Greek as well as his traveling companion, Dr. Luke who wrote two books of the New Testament.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Ti 2:12 But <de> I suffer <epitrepo> not <ou> a woman <gune> to teach <didasko> nor <oude> to usurp authority <authenteo> over the man <aner>, but <alla> to be <einai> in <en> silence <hesuchia>.

It means the same in Greek as it does in English.

Young merely moves about the sentence word order.