1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women teachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Ann...seriously...we are not ignoring Scripture. We are not tossing it. We are not bending it. We are not looking for loopholes. If we are, may we be judged accordingly. But we are seeking to be faithful to the Bible and grace. In fact, I was staunchly against female leadership until I was convicted otherwise through much theological study and prayer.

Obviously, since I believe it to be this way, I implicitly believe the other side is wrong, but I'm not sitting here calling you ignorant or dishonest or unbelievers or anything else. We can still learn from each other and be counted as brothers and sisters in Christ. Differences, even profound ones, can exist.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - it was being sarcastic. Go2church said "I for one am glad Jesus wasn't a sexist and didn't continue in the sexist attitudes of the day. I am glad that he was able to transcend all the cultural norms of the day and included women, mere property at the time, in the work of the Kingdom of God and empower them with the exact same Holy Spirit to be ministers of reconciliation." and I commented with what I did about Jesus choosing women as part of the 12. :) In other words, Jesus still kept a male group of leaders - just as He has us do later for the church.

What is the context of 1 Corinthians 11?

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This church is not disobeying according to its biblical interpretation. They can disagree with you or I and still be among the faithful. This issue is not so cut and dry. We have to interpret the Bible after reading...not doing so is dangerous.

Ding, ding, ding - there's the condescension meter.

Great thoughts, as always. I especially appreciate the reference to the effects from the fall. Just because it was pronounced that patriarchy was an effect of the fall does not mean it must stay that way. In fact, as part of the Kingdom, we are pressing to overcome the effects of the fall, which will one day be completed.

Please don't make these statements. They are nothing if not divisive. You are talking to someone who obviously is committed to being faithful. If we differ, it's not simply because of dishonesty or rebellion.

The fact that no woman was part of the 12 hardly constitutes biblical proof of any sort. It is cultural, not normative.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So Jesus was worried about culture and conformed to culture rather than truth? Seriously? I'm sorry but I see no support for that.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Nope. Wrong again. That's the you don't know what you're talking about meter. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Whenever anyone who is a believer mocks someone for adhering to Scripture, reading Scripture, then they're going to hear what I've said. You included. And he earned it.

That you think defending and rebuking one for this is condescending is hilarious!

That you can't see calling one's behavior shameful for mocking the Word of God, and readers thereof, is in itself shameful.

Sometimes you gotta know when to rebuke, and sometimes you gotta know when to not say a word. You need to learn both. :wavey:

#86 preacher4truth, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the explaination.
    The context is on submission and authority and how it is to be honored. What we know is that a woman can prophesy, but she cannot do it in the church as a regular gathering where men are present;
    Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

This passage in chapter 14 is dealing with the actual church coming together and women are not permitted to hold the position to speak.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No one is faithful when they are in disobedience and just because someone decides to interpret instead of obeying they do not get a get out of jail card. They are still unfaithful.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. The Lord never gave instructions to the church because if culture. Those who claim this have turned off their brain. First the church was behind closed doors. The world would not know or care what the did. Second the Lord is never subject to culture. The culture is however subject to Him.

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yup.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is your right. I think I'd pick the Biblical one.

I'd rather be taught by someone who may need a little help every now and then, but is obedient and takes God's Word seriously.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is the one who declared that women are not to teach men. I'll leave the consequences of that declaration up to Him.

It has nothing to do with being gifted or not being gifted. It has to do with whether or not you're going to go by what God says.

Since when are we to determine truth by majority vote?

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon preaching from Romans 16 (v. 3 "Priscilla and Aquila"):

15. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Let's hear it for Charles Spurgeon.

[​IMG]

...Bob

#95 BobinKy, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

They ARE obeying. Believe it or not, some really feel the Spirit leading them to this position. And it comes after much study and prayer.

17. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Bob, you've got the sillies! :laugh:

19. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Its a snow day here in Kentucky.

[​IMG]

...Bob

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member