1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

women teachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Let's give the Sunday School Teacher an atta girl.

[​IMG]

And an atta boy for her pastor.

[​IMG]

...Bob

#101 BobinKy, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So? And there are Baptist churches being led by gay pastors. That doesn't mean that it is right.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meet Henrietta Mears:

"Perhaps the single most influential church leader in the first half of this century was Henrietta Mears. While she is unknown by most, Henrietta Mears, the Director of Christian Education at Hollywood Presbyterian Church in Hollywood, California, taught a Sunday School class of up to 500 college-age students. Many of them did great things for God and became great leaders in their own rank. Also, Henrietta Mears helped establish Forest Home, a Christian conference center. She influenced some of the greatest Christian leaders and movements of our day, including Bill Bright who founded Campus Crusade for Christ; the late Dawson Trotman who began the Navigators; and even Billy Graham who was influenced for God at Forest Home just prior to the Los Angeles Crusade which gave birth to his high-profile, international ministry as an evangelist." –Elmer Towns, The Eight Laws of Leadership

Miss Mears's early ministry was at First Baptist of Minneapolis (pastored by noted Fundamentalist William Bell Riley:thumbs:).

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

How condescending of you, you should be ashamed.

Let me ask you, are women at the church you attend allowed to speak at all?

5. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

#105 BobinKy, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  6. mets65

mets65 New Member

We're very quick to point out women pastors only because it's right in front of our eyes and so obvious. What about the pastors getting arrested for solicitation of prostitutes and other vices they get caught up in?

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. They're just not allowed to teach men in the church.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa?!? You're getting a bit heated there, man. Maybe sit a couple of plays out.

Nobody is mocking you for adhering to the Bible. Sometimes sarcasm is a helpful tool in highlighting problematic interpretation or theology.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh no, not the "you're angry" card, and that coupled with the "sarcasm" excuse!!!

Sorry friend, calling someone condescending, to whom you have had little to no interaction, and then claiming sarcasm, is baloney.

You had no clue what I referred to nor why I said it, so you reacted. You should know what you are talking about and why I said what I said prior to coming around with the cheap shots. It's much more wise that way. :)

Nobody is mocking me for adhering to the Bible? Like I said, know what you are talking about next time. You're plain and simply incorrect.

- Blessings

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Doesn't the same bible say:

1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Which is precisely why we don't let them preach or teach men.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If they are allowed to speak at all, anywhere at church, they are in violation of the literal meaning of this scripture.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When you can show that the word here "church" means the church building, then you are correct. However, the word means "assembly" meaning the assembly of believers meeting for corporate worship/teaching. It is not at all speaking of the church building.

14. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Not a cartoon;
    Not a come-on to another round in the Sunday School Teach gender wrestling match;
    But a link to a book for those interested in varied interpretations on 1 Timothy 2.
    If you are interested in this topic and go to the link, I suggest you also read the customer reviews and the 14 pages of related books purchased by Amazon.com customers.

...Bob

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So according to this understanding of the assembly coming together... women can't sing, say amen, vote by saying Aye (though if they raised their hand quietly that would be ok), say hello to people during the welcome (if you have one) etc, etc, or they would be violating the "keep silent" command of Paul.

Perhaps there is another understanding, just saying

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

That is my point to Jack. If we are going to take this scripture literally, then women cannot even utter a syllable in the assembly. I don't believe this.

Women are allowed to speak, but not to usurp the authority in the assembly. Therefore, if a woman teaches under the authority of the assembly, or pastor, elders or whoever is the under-shepherd, she is not disobeying the Word of God. This would still disallow pastoring, since the qualifications are the husband of one wife.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

But Bob, doesn't it seem like a stretch to take this 1st century detail, which doesn't speak directly to the issue of gender, to mean it can't be women. It would seem more likely that Paul wrote "husband of one wife" because it seemed obvious at the time that they would be men, since women weren't allowed to do much in that context. If Paul had said "must be a man, not a woman" it would be a different interpretive story.

Plus, the whole issue of church leadership seems to be on more of an ad hoc basis, allowing fluidity for the particular context.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I suppose we could take a verse out of context, interpret it hyper-literally, without regard to context, ignore the analogy of scripture, and come to that conclusion.

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We try to keep our women tied up in the back room as much as we can.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Umm - is not all of the New Testament "1st century detail"? It absolutely DOES speak directly to the issue of gender - by speaking of a "husband of one wife" and speaking of a "man". It does not speak of people in general. Where do we see that the New Testament church were bowing to culture instead of bowing to Jesus? Where do we see "well, we're doing this because everyone does this but we don't HAVE to do this" sort of thing? I think the Scripture is pretty clear - so clear that even my 8 year old can see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.