1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Teaching Men

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What a great post! And so true. Western theologians -- Roman and Protestant -- seem to focus more on Paul than on the Gospels.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So when did Jesus bring on women as His apostles? How about when He sent out the 72 - how many were women? How many women went to the Garden with Him?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, that proves nothing ... and after all the books approved by the Catholic council were all written by men ... and those voting were all men. Kind of a built in bias there IMHO. There were books written by women I am told, but they were suppressed by men.

Also, in their culture women were not allowed much if any freedom, so we cannot expect much sympathy for women by NT men ... or OT men for either.

Anyway, the women were home taking care of the kids. Someone had to do so.

Junia, who definitely was a woman, has been called an apostle by some. Of course, again, the Catholic priests would never accept anything she wrote as scripture.

Junia was a woman's name. It was only centuries later that there was a male name in the Roman world that comes even close to that spelling ... and it was different.

\\

#23 Crabtownboy, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The fact that Jesus never chose women to lead means nothing? We can't trust the Scriptures because it was a Catholic council of men? If something was written by a woman - and it was truly God's Word, it was not included in the canon just because they were women? I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

Junia was of note amongst the apostles doesn't say that she WAS an apostle.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

This is what it all boils down to folks. A contempt for the Bible. He says it right here that the Bible has "bias". So much for the authority of Scripture.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Wrong. He does not say that the Bible has bias; he said that the Catholic council which approved the books had bias.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If they had bias then the resulting books were chosen according to their bias. If those books were chosen according to their bias, then they must be biased in their favor. It boils down to the Bible being biased.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It is also of note that the ancient Celtic church, isolated as it was from continental Catholicism, gave women pastoral and leadership roles and considered them spiritual equals to men. Makes you wonder about the true apostolic tradition. I think the Celts had it right, following the spirit of Christ's teachings, and continental Romanism had it wrong.

What's also amazing to me is how some women go right along and consent to men "putting them in their place" and making them second class Christians.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No it doesn't. Just because a book was written by a man does not make it biased, but someone choosing the book because it was written by a man makes the one choosing it biased.

10. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

My friend. If a book is built on a presupposition, then its biased.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you accept the Catholic canon or the Protestant canon? Why do you follow one but not the other?

No, the monks, priests, etc. all men who voted on the canon probably would not have accepted a book written by a woman simply because she was a woman ... a lesser being in their view ... after all, in their view, women brought sin into the world and caused the fall of Adam.

J
    That is one interpretation, but from my research the majority of scholars and experts in the language do not agree with you.

12. Christos doulos

My friend. "apostolic succession" is not biblical

#32 Christos doulos, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I follow the Bible that God has given us and I do not accept the "Apocrypha" as the Word of God.

14. mandym

mandym New Member

Giving a testimony and teaching are two different things.The women did not go and teach anyone anything. A bit if honesty is needed here.

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

There is actually better documentation than that regarding women speaking in church, and being in leadership...

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=141

#35 Alive in Christ, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, take a look the disparate attitudes expressed with regard to the Scripture noted in the OP:

Spurgeon: it's like me bearing God's message to this congregation

Annsni: it's like me telling hubby the toilet's clogged

Spurgeon: Did ever man preach a better sermon than this woman preached? Had ever minister a more weighty text than this Magdalene had to handle

Mandy: she did not teach anyone anything, merely gave a testimony

Spurgeon: Mary, once a demoniac, becomes a preacher to preachers! I dub her Doctor of Divinity, indeed, for she has to instruct these mightiest of messengers in the faith!

Doulos: it was just testimony, not equivalent to teaching

Spurgeon: Mary Magdalene was made to do, alone, what a company of angels had been made to do before—to proclaim another step in the Savior’s pathway to redemption!

Matt: just a message relayer, Jesus was simply utilizing the woman's strength of gossip to his advantage!

Quite a contrast. :tear:

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Yes. Quite A contrast indeed.

And its interesting that its men on this thread who are sharing the scriptures that can set the women free...yet the women want no part of it. Even to the point of ignoring Gods scriptures that make it so clear. :confused:

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thank you for that wonderful exposition!

It's obvious who actually has contempt for the Bible here -- and it's not those of us who support women leaders in the church!

19. Christos doulos

My friend. It's not about support. It's about scripture. If you are going to be wrong, at least be wrong in scripture and not your own feelings or reasoning.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I vehemently disagree with most on this subject here, and yet I would not venture to say any of them have "contempt" for the Bible. They may be misguided and may be misinterpreting it, but they are following what they believe the Bible says.

I think we need to be careful how we bring subjects like this up. We need to be theologically minded and have all of our views bathed in Scripture as best as it can be interpreted.

There are going to be those who oppose women in leadership or equality in marriage, just like there were once those who believed slavery was okay and intermarriage wrong. Their voice will get smaller and weaker until anyone who believes it wouldn't dare mention it, just like any who believe slavery is okay wouldn't dare voice it these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.