1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women's authority over men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Apr 11, 2008.

1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I was calm when I posted them. Going against scripture and picking and choosing is wrong.

John 8:32 (KJV)
    And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long

3. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay well I believe women make a vital difference in our military, and I would be a soldier if it wasnt for my cancer. Women can do anything a man can do including pastor a church I have even been offered the opportunity to go to seminary. This whole women is weaker than a man thing is crazy. I am not going to be one of those women who sit there with their hands in their laps and dote on their husbands. Heck I hardly ever see my husband for the most part he goes his way and I go mine. Thats what being married to a soldier is all about. As for my church its an awesome church and the pastor is so personable. I have compared churches and having a woman pastor just works because they have this like personal touch with each member of the church way more than a man has ever had in my observation. I love the Lord and serve Him however He leads me but to sit there and say I am weak that isnt going to happen. I say kudos to Hillary and all the women willing to be stronger and show people that women and men are equal. So you can be as nasty as you want to to me. I know I have a personal relationship with Christ and that He died on the cross for my sins and thats enough for me.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Superwoman, I doubt I go as far as some do on this issue. However...I wanted to offer one clarifying word.

Most of us (if not all) would strongly argue that there is no difference between men and women with regards to...
    • Worth to God.
    • Value as a person.
    However, our roles are different. Not value, or equality--but roles. And God has had a hand in that.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you good folk use the word authority, what do you mean?

Amen and Amen Sister. Some are beginning to see that God really can use all and he can call anyone to a ministry of any kind. When I was growing up I remember the good farm folk in the SBC church telling everyone, boys and girls, "You can do anything God calls you to do. Well, it is funny how some want to modify that to read, "You girls can be anything God calls you to be, but he will never call you to the ministry. Folks, it isn't true. The best pastor I have had was a woman ... and I have been very fortunate in serving with some really good pastors.

#65 Crabtownboy, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  6. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

To me there isnt anything different about roles anymore either. You and I love and serve the Lord now if I lead a church or pray with a group of women its still loving and serving the Lord how He has led us. These women that say oh you cant do this or do that as a woman are blocking the Holy Spirit from working in their lives because once you let go and let God, He opens doors that you would never imagine!

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

So if a husband and wife's role is identical, then why did God give them differing instructions in Scripture? Shouldn't they have been identical if their roles are interchangeable?

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny logic. You are mixing up theology and biology. Biological roles are quite different from spiritual roles. If you do not understand the difference we can have a private e-mail conversation. :laugh:

#68 Crabtownboy, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  9. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm referring to Ephesians. God gave different instructions to husbands and wives. That is significant.

Interesting turn here...I spent the 1st half of this thread being called a liberal (because I would consider voting for a female candidate for president (not Hillary, though)...and now, I'm the right-winger (because I believe God has given unique roles to men and women in the home)...to your credit, though, there's ben no name calling.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let me just say that believing that a woman is not to be a pastor or to have authority over men does not mean that I sit with my hands in my lap and dote on my husband. Of course my second purpose for my life is to be a helper and wife to my husband (my first purpose is to glorify and serve God), but that doesn't mean it's all I do. Let me tell you what else I do without stepping out of what God has told us in His Word:

* I homeschool my children
    * I run a group for new mothers in our church to help guide them during the tough first year of having a first child.
    * I do all of the graphics for church - deciding on what to put on the screen to go with announcements, songs and such. I also do any other work that will go on the screen including PowerPoints for sermons, putting together the media shows for weddings, funerals, special events (of which we have plenty).
    * I have helped plan out special events for our church with the pastors and other staff.
    * I train horses.
    * I do all of the finances for the family.
    * I assist my husband in leading a small group for our church - with 7 families in it.
    * I, along with my husband, do premarital counseling and have also done counseling with teen girls.
    * I am a wife - and a pastor's wife - thus I have a HUGE role in supporting my husband. Just recently I have helped him through a very large issue being a support, a voice from a different perspective and gave him wisdom that he really needed.

I am certainly not sitting around with my hands in my lap doting on my husband. As I've said before, women have a HUGE role in church and by following God's Word, we are not "limiting the Holy Spirit" because the Holy Spirit will not contradict what the Word says. As much as a woman can be a great pastor, God's Word is clear and she's not to do it. Period. But that doesn't mean a woman can't teach, shepherd, guide, counsel and lead - but it does mean that there are restrictions on each of these activities. Women in my church do all of these - in different areas and according to the giftings that God has given them. But none of them are pastors or are in an authority position over the men of the church.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

There are some much better role models for being a "strong woman" than Hillary.

Now...if you're looking for an example of a dishonest woman, she's the one! :laugh:

(hence the OP...I might vote for a woman for president...but not this election. Not Hillary.)

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I'll agree. But, we aren't as equal as some people say. We were given different punishments in the garden and different roles by God.
    For someone to try to change God's roles, etc, would be heresy and blasphemy.

Because men and women have different roles and no one can change them. ;)

13. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I would never take on the role of Pastor, because both men and women would be looking me over, not hearing what I have to say. That's just the way it is. But there are things that take a woman's touch in church, and for that I am eternally gratetful. I love that there are women there in the church to take on those things that a man just doens't understand. That's not outdated, but timeless.

love,

Sopranette

14. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scribe--do I misunderstand you? It sounds as if you argue that men are leaders because Adam deliberately sinned.

There is an old hymn that you might want to remember--something about "free from the curse, oh, happy condition. Jesus has died, and there is remission."

Or do you believe women should not use pain relief for birth?

Or that all men must farm, and that with no AC?

Unless you do, you really do NOT believe that gender roles set by the curse still apply today. Just the ones you WANT to have still apply.

15. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I agree with Nodak. It is not heresy or blasphemy for a woman to serve in the military. That is just your opinion Scribe, which you are welcome to. But it is not blasphemy.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of folk here keep using the word authority and I keep asking, "What do you mean by the word authority? But no one answers my question. Is this simply a word that people like to throw out, but do not have any idea what it means. You know, there are a number of definitions of the word authority in the dictionary.

Would some of you tell me what your understanding of the word is in the context of this and other theological threads? Thanks in advance.

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

1 Timothy 2:11-15 (KJV)
    11: Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12: But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13: For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14: And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15: Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same as in your other post ... you give no definition of what the words means. Try again. Thanks in advance.

19. queenbee

queenbee Member

AMEN CTB! I've had several women pastor me as well. They are often far more intuitive when dealing with persons and situations and frankly, I don't think Jesus would have a problem with them ministering to him either.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know from scripture that women played an important role while Christ was on earth .... i.e.:

In the early days of Jesus’ ministry, one of the most unusual examples is the devoted following of Mary Magdalene. Among the group of women who traveled with Jesus and his 12 disciples was Mary of Magdala (Luke 8:2). Mary is almost always mentioned first in a list of the female disciples of Jesus Christ. She may have been one of the leaders of that group of women who followed Jesus from the outset of his ministry in Galilee to his death and afterward.

Jesus Christ taught that women were just as responsible for growing in grace and knowledge as men when it came to being one of his followers. This is clearly expressed in Luke’s account of Christ’s visit to the home of Martha and Mary, who lived in Bethany, a village about 2 miles from Jerusalem.

And the healing of the woman:

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, “Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.” Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God. (Luke 13:10-13)

“You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?” (verses 15-16).

Christ came down hard on legalists.

The Bible doesn’t specify just how many women traveled with Jesus and his male disciples, but Luke records the names of a prominent few, and mentions there were “many others.”

After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’s household: Susanna: and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means. (Luke 8:1-3)

In Christ we are all children of God. As the apostle Paul wrote: “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:26-28).

You are right, Christ did welcome women into his group of followers and seemingly did not place restrictions on their activities.
    :tonofbricks: