1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wonderful Education in the SBC Seminaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Erasmus, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

I would like to invite everyone to talk about the education they received at SBC seminaries. I attended Southern and transferred to Midwestern where I recieved my M.Div. I had some incredible professors in Old and New Testament. They were great godly men who prepared me for the ministry. Al Bean, Robert Johnson, and Alan Tomilinson were incredible scholars and men. I then went to Southwestern where I received my Ph.D. in Church History. I studied under godly professors such as Leon McBeth, James Leo Garrett, and Karen Bullock. I also had a class with Roy Fish and incredible evangelist. THese ministers taught me love of Scriptures, ministry, church history, and most importantly based everything on Christ. So, where did you guys study.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Erasmus,

You probably need to move this thread to the seminaries and colleges part of the baord.

fyi!

sdg~!

rd

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also,

There is even a continous thread there where everyone posts where they have been to school.

I will look for your over there!

sdg!

rd

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I graduated from Midwestern with my MDiv and also studied under Dr. Bean and Dr. Tomlinson. They are great men of God and do a super job of training men for ministry. I also loved my time with Dr. Awbrey, Dr. Rogers, Dr. Whitney, Dr. Madsen, and Dr. McMullen.

I am now at Southern working on my DMin and I have loved it as well. I have had Dr. York, Dr. Block, Dr. Cook and Dr. Schreiner. All of them have done a great job.

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK,

If we are not going to move this to the other thread then here goes:

I am a union pipefitter/welder by trade and training. I was called to minister at age 30 when I had no formal education, no college at all.

I did the old 96 sem. hr. Diploma of Theology (now an ADiv.) at Mid America in Memphis. I studied with Tom Nettles and Jimmy Millikin and B. Gray Allison and Roy O. Beaman there. Class of 1985.

I went back to Crichton College, Memphis, and got my BSc degree. Class of 1987.

I did a Master of Arts in Religion. It was in the History of Christian Thought @ Harding Graduate School of Religion. A Churches of Christ grad school. I took my Hebrew under Jack Lewis, one of the translators of the NIV project. Class of 1996.

I did my MDiv @ Southern, graduated in 1995. I did part of it @ a Monday program at Union University. I had to commute to Southern (Louisville) from Memphis for two semesters and one J Term to finish the degree. I was in the meeting on campus when Roy Honeycutt resigned and Al Mohler was named to be the new president.

I did PhD work in Rhetoric, Rhetorical Criticism, Communications Theory @ The University of Memphis from 1998-2001. 39 PhD hrs in Rhetoric & Communications total. I taught Public Address there as a GTA. I was blessed to study with John Angus Campbell, a world class Rhetorical scholar and Darwin expert.

I transferred to The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology and finished my DMin in 2003. It is a liberal Episcopal Seminary/university grad school of religion.

My dissertation title was:

"A Rhetorical Taxonomy of John Paul IIs 2000 Jubilee Papal Apology."

I have really been forced to think through what it means to be a Baptist, don't you think?

I now teach at a small denominational school here in the mid-south. I teach religion and public address.

I have probably told you WAY more than any of you wanted to know! HA!

sdg!

rd

6. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

Rhetorician,

I found your pilgrimage interesting and certainly not more than I cared to know.

7. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

Yeah, I should probably move it, but I guess this location is fine.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Mine has been a going-around-the-elbow-to-get-to-the-thumb journey, also.

Straight out of college at Georgia Southern, I did an ill-advised Pastor's Refresher Diploma and a Master of Education at Hyles-Anderson College (1976-78).

After a few years of teaching school and doing bivocational church work, I completed an MDiv (1985) at Luther Rice Seminary. Unfortunately, LRS accepted all of the HAC work, so I did only some thirty-something hours at LRS. When LRS accepted the HAC work, I thought it was great. Only later did I really how poor the teaching and requirements at HAC had been.

Nonetheless, a couple of years later I began DMin studies at LRS, graduating in 1992. Dr. Maurice Robinson, who has been at SEBTS for a decade and a half or so, was my supervisor.

By this time, I was full-time in the pastorate and increasingly aware of the holes in my MDiv training. In addition, I wanted ultimately to pursue the PhD. So . . . I did another MDiv, the first 30-something hours at SEBTS and NOBTS extensions in Georgia and the final 60-something hours at SBTS in Louisville (1998). I then entered the PhD program at SBTS, graduating with the degree in church history in 2003. Dr. Tom Nettles was my supervisor. SBTS was a wonderful experience and has had a most positive impact upon my ministry.

Bill

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I graduated from NOBTS in 2000 with the MMCM. My husband got his Mdiv and ThM from there as well, and is working on his PhD in New TEstament. (The ThM now comes as part of the PhD degree, so it was kind of a freebie...well, without being free, lol)
    Anyway, I loved my time in seminary. I was planning to start on a DMA the semester after I graduated, but instead I got my MOM degree, lol, twice. So thats kind of on the back burner, but I would so love to go back and do that.
    Some professors that greatly impacted my life were Drs. Michael Sharp, Ken Gabrielse, Charlie Ray, William Warren and Jim Shaddix (I worked for him for a short time).
    Everytime we go back to campus, we feel like we are home.
    (as an aside, we went to see it this past weekend - first time since the hurricane, and no one was allowed on campus. It looked great form the outside. We were so glad to see that stepple standing. MAny of the buildings are gutted.)

10. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume they lost the library?

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Actually, they didnt lose much there. They lost all the dissertations and a few other things but the major flooding occured past the library. I was told it was 16 feet at the rear of the campus, which is student housing. God was merciful!

12. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I went to Southern and managed to have more tenure than some of my professors (that's what happens when you cram a 3 year M.Div. into 8!)
    I had classes under Al Mohler for theology, Tom Nettles for Church History, and Thom Rainer for Church Growth.
    On top of that i had the opportunity to study under other great profs like Hal Poe (who i think is still at Union now) and Tim Beougher for evangelism. On top of this i even had Don Cox (church growth prof at SBTS) and Chuck Lawless (Dean of the Graham School at SBTS) as graders!

The faculty there was the highpoint of my seminary career.