1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wonderful Web Site......

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lace, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By historic definition of a "fundamentalist", anyone who is KING JAMES ONLY is not a fundamentalist.

They have added to and changed the fundamentalist position. That's all I'm saying.

I do not know this man, nor his ministry, and did not condemn him or speak ill of him. Just pointed out that he is not a "fundamentalist" so I was opting not to have anything to do with him.

Hey, you can't go around changing the meaning of words folks! You can be "fundamental" in all other areas of doctrine, but it you disagree with the Niagara Conference position (1895 when Fundamentalism was defined and established) you ought to be honest and not call yourself a fundamentalist!

Hope this helps clarify the issue.

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't like your play on words with the comment about Jesus paying for the sins of everyone, I trust that you do realize that indeed Jesus did die for the sins of the world but not everyone will have that payment applied to their sin deb

It's called Limited atonement, and yes it's what I believe. I'm one of John's boys as Ed would say.

I am also very curious about those in Jesus day being right about His imminent return, please explain your view on this as I am curious.

Go here to get a taste of these beliefs: http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=3;DaysPrune=45

Trust me! I grew up in the Church of Christ/Christian Church . . . . and there is NOTHING CoC about this man's beliefs!

I'll take your word for it. It was the "band of baptized believers" that threw me off.

3. EPH 1:4

EPH 1:4 New Member

I've heard Bro. Ed Ballew speak a number of times, he is a very nice man, but like most IFB's, very shallow in the word, tells more stories than preaching the bible :(

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Eph: Are YOU an IFB? If not, this is the wrong forum for you to be posting in. If you are; then why ARE you, if you think most IFB"s are very shallow in the Word??? :confused:

Dr. Bob: I am an IFB and I am KING JAMES PREFERRED. I will never stop calling myself a fundamentalist 'cause that's what I is! IMHO, the Bible a person uses is a pretty poor reason to decide what that person's religion is. :rolleyes:

Lace: Bro. Ballew sent me a gracious 'thank you' for signing his guestbook. I did not realize that he was 86 years old!!! I go to a VERY fundamental church with a VERY fundamental Pastor and he is the one who suggested we go hear Bro. Ed. He has not steered me wrong in 26 years.

Blessings,
    Sue

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

I think (and hope) you are wrong on this. I believe this forum is for all Baptists who are fundamentalists (meaning they adhere to the fundamentals of the faith), not IFB'ers only. [​IMG]

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think (and hope) you are wrong on this. I believe this forum is for all Baptists who are fundamentalists (meaning they adhere to the fundamentals of the faith), not IFB'ers only.

Ahh, there is the problem. IFB's that I knew growing up would tell you they are really the only one who adhere to the fundamentals of the faith. Therefore IFB=fundamental Fundamental=IFB everyone else a modernist or liberal. Though I don't believe most on this board feel that way. Except Ernie maybe.

7. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

I too am KJV preferred if that means I like that version best. I feel there is nothing wrong with this but I must say that those who denounce all other versions and claim that the one they choose is supreme are in error. And yes people who are not IFB are welcome here, I am SBC myself.
    Murph

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Murph: I do not denounce all other versions. Nor do I claim that the KJV is supreme. That would make me a KJVO, which I am not.

I stand corrected in that this is a FB forum and not an IFB forum. I DID take exception to what eph: said about most IFBs being 'shallow in the Word'.

The SBC churches I have attended (and there have been many) are no different than I am on doctrinal issues.

I hope this clears up my stance on things. :D

Blessings,
    Sue

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Certain strands are very weak. The BBF is one. The Hyles-type are probably the worst.

Here is a good indicator. When the preacher starts his sermon, watch for the following order:

Read the passage
    Talk for about 1-2 minutes about the passage.
    Turn it into a sermon on the Romans road, separation, worldliness, the problems of America, the problems of the church, being in church more often, tithing, versions, etc.

None of that is preaching. That is hobby horse. That is the kind of thing "preachers" do. The people of such churches are usually the ones who say that the preacher isn't afraid to step on toes, he really tells it like it is, etc.

Preaching is the ability to take a passage, proclaim the truth of the passage based upon careful interpretation and exposition.

The style of preaching might take different forms. If it is not seeking to explain the particular passage, it is not preaching.

Version should NEVER be mentioned as an issue when preaching. There is not a single passage that mentions different versions. If this comes up a lot, chalk it up for a preacher with little to say.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most??? I don't think so. Many? OK. Too many?? Without doubt.

I can't really judge how they compare to primative Baptist since I have never heard a PB preacher. The few specific things I have heard about them wasn't very impressive though- hyper-calvinism and the "flop" method of selecting a sermon text.

11. EPH 1:4

EPH 1:4 New Member

I've heard hundreds, yes hundreds of IFB preachers, and most, not all, but MOST do preach the same type of messages. Example: most preach on one or more of these topics EVERY message: soul-winning, tithing, working on the buses, women don't wear pants, lost of rewards at the judgement seat of Christ, smoking, bible versions. Now I do believe that the KJV is the bible for christians, but I don't want to hear about it every message. Don't get me wrong, I have many IFB friends that I love dearly, many are preachers, but I got to a point where I was just tired of hearing man-made rules and messages. Please forgive me if I offend anyone.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expository preaching solves the problem. REAL exposition not, read the verse and use it to springboard into the "same old same old".

Value of "historic" fundamentalism is seen in this very difference in preaching. If it is continually topical, it is probably NOT true fundamentalism.

13. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

I heard Him preach just a few days ago down at Crown College. He's still preaching strong!!
    Great preacher

14. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Can someone explain why the poster who started this topic in the Fundamental Baptist Forum is Not Registered

I thought you were supposed to be a Baptist to post in this section.

Why is Anyone who is Anonymous and Unregistered allowed to post here?

15. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most likely explanantion is that between the time of Dr. Griffin's post of May 03, 2003 02:01 AM and Kidz-4-HIM's post of March 08, 2004 08:16 PM, the account was, for whatever reason, deleted. K4H obviously was digging around in the basement and found the old thread. As it was not archived nor closed, it was still an "active" thread and K4H's post brought it to the top.

Rbent's assumption is correct: one must be a registered member and a Baptist to post in the Fundamental forum. At the time of the initial post in 2003, Lace most likely fit that criterium.

[​IMG]

Clint Kritzer
    Administrator