1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

word doc and open office

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by shodan, Jul 21, 2011.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Problem:

My wife had been working in open office [on her thesis]

She started using my 'new' used laptop which is xp and had word 2007.

What we did not realize was that this was just a trial offer. So word 2007 quit working unless you buy the license.

I had word 2000 and put it on the laptop.

NOW she is having problems with the document going 'crazy' with about 4 lines of space between sentences on pages where she has revised the thesis.

Anybody know what to do?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One option:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/w...n-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I edit and format doctoral dissertations in Word. There are a couple of things that are likely... First, turn on the paragraph marks so that you can see what is happening in the text. Don't worry, the paragraph marks are non-printing and they will not effect the final formatting of the document, but they do allow one to see where the enter key has been hit (backward "p" mark), tab used (arrow), space bar (dot), or other formatting like shift+enter (reverse curve arrow), etc.

Another thing that can be seen is section breaks, both page level and within the text. Sometimes one word processor will set section breaks often where another doesn't, and vice versa.

Once one can see what is going on in the text, the next step is to remove all the offending formatting, which one can do manually, one line at a time, or more quickly by applying styles, whichever is the more comfortable. At times, the best way is to simply cut and paste the text into a new document and re-apply formatting.

There are also some controls in the "page setup" area that effect how text is handled, so check that out as well.