1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Word-for-Word accuracy in English

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Using the fair copyright rules, I quote a short section from "Today's Parallel Greek-English New Testament by "The Commission" Foreign missions Journal, SBC, Richmond Va. It uses the TR as its version of Greek.

This quote should give an idea of how translation actually works and the impossibility of maintaining word-for-word concept:

"The Interlinear Translation brings to view certain points of interest that no other translation has ever pretended to give. (wow, have they never heard of the KJV -- my comment.)

Take for instance the word 'master.' This word 'master' is used in the Authorized Version to translate SIX different Greek words, all bearing different shades of meaning. The word 'judgment' in the Authorized Version stands for EIGHT different Greek words in the original; and so of many others. Of particles, 'but' represents TWELVE different words; 'by,' ELEVEN; 'for,' EIGHTEEN; 'in,' FIFTEEN; 'of,' THIRTEEN; and 'on,' NINE."

So much for word-for-word translations. [​IMG]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In order to have a literal word for word translation, we would have to replace the word "Christ" with "Messiah", and most NT instances of the word "Lord" with "Master". We'd also have to relplace "Jesus" with "Joshua".

OTOH, words like "love" in English translations fail to accurately convey the Greek words for love, and without studying the koine greek text, the intended scriptural meaning is lost.

For comprehensive study of scripture, one can never rely on a translation alone. Not the KJV, NIV, NAS, or any other.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love my George Ricker-Berry Greek Interlinear and require my students of English Bible to have one. It truly helps clarify EVERY translation, especially for those who are in the KJV genre with lots of archaisms.

It uses the poorer 1550 Stephens text, not the modern texts, but we overlook that. [​IMG]

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Do you mean to say that the Stephens text contains the Word-of-GOD? Oh, my goodness, all along these KJVo characters have been telling me that we all HATE the KJV. :rolleyes:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is that tongue-in-cheek icon when we need it. [​IMG]

I use the Stephans text almost exlusively so that I don't offend the onlies. I realize I take the opposite side on almost every issue; okay, EVERY issue. So using an acceptable text is a small concession.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptural languages, especially Hebrew, contain far fewer words than English does; therefore there are many words/phrases in those tongues that have multiple meanings in English. When context doesn't guide the translators, they must make an "educated guess", based upon their overview of Scripture in general. There may be as many definitions given as there are translators. But I believe GOD causes His word to appear as He wills.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still waiting to see the first English translation render the phrase STOMA PROS STOMA (2Jn 1:12; 3Jn 1:14) literally in its main text. [​IMG]

It's not as though John could not have written PROSWPON PROS PROSWPON had he wanted to; cf. 1Cor 13:12, which uses that very expression. But he didn't, and the *only* way we know that is by reading footnotes in various versions (including the original AV 1611).

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, great, Ziggy, now we're going to start some new doctrine. Instead of speaking with tongues we communicate by kissing. Actually, this doctrine is probably practiced more often than we know. . . :D

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proper exegesis of STOMA PROS STOMA in the context of 2Jn and 3Jn precludes kissing (although "greet one another with a holy kiss" is another issue that I don't want to address at this point).

After all, didn't your mother teach you *not* to speak (LALHSAI, 2Jn 1:12) with your mouth full? [​IMG]