Word of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Brice, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Brice

Brice
    Expand Collapse

Let me first state that I do have an opinion regarding this area of scripture. That being said I would like to raise a question, so I can try better to understand an opposing viewpoint.

Do we still get words of wisdom? The idea is that we have a closed canon, so tongues have ceased. Have WoF also ceased? and if so why? If not why?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan
    Expand Collapse

This phrase only occurs in the whole Bible only in 1 Cor. 12:8. There is nothing in the passage that says this has to be a supernatural gift in the sense that the recipient has special supernatural power.

In the OT, Solomon had the gift of wisdom, did he not? Especially given to him by God? When he used that gift, was it a miracle? Of course not.

So to answer your question, yes we do have this gift nowadays. I have had many godly people give me words of wisdom! Hopefully I know enough to follow them when I hear them. [​IMG]

3. cojosh

cojosh
    Expand Collapse

We all have the opportunity, and perhaps the responsibility to recieve words of wisdom from God's Word. We should apply the scripture to every area of our lives for they are the "Words of Wisdom".

Yet, I do believe that some have a spiritual gift of wisdom that enables them to edify the Church in ways that others may not. As if it comes to them naturally, but spiritually. I don't believe that this has anything to do with speaking in tongues.

4. music4Him

music4Him
    Expand Collapse

I have a question on the "closed" cannon thing. If someone in the holy land digs up a scroll written by one of the other apostles that walked with Jesus that didn't make the first cut in the bible, but it had some more history and after being put through all the phases to be cannonized and acually passed.......then what?

As far as the gift of the word of wisdom goes...I believe it is a valid gift in todays time, but then again I still believe all nine gifts of the Spirit are still valid for today. [​IMG]

5. StefanM

StefanM
    Expand Collapse

It would be impossible for a newly found manuscript to pass the criteria for canonization. One could not verify the authorship, and one could not see any consistent use in the churches because the manuscript was not known.