1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G2673, katargeo

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the goal is fidelity and concordance, rendered inactive wins hands down.

Folks, Words have meanings and those meanings have merit.

Consider this, if the meanings of words comes from the context, how do you derive the context. Remember, according to Rippon, none of the words have a meaning unless you know the context. What is the context of blah, blah, blah, blah, blah? Did you understand it to say word meanings are inherent? You supplied the context to decide what it said. This approach to bible study, words get their meanings from the context, is simply a liberal attack on scripture, decide what you want it to say, and claim it says it because of "context." Twaddle

God chose the Greek word that means "render inactive" but somehow translating it as "rendered inactive" is flawed based on liberalism. No sale.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fidelity and concordance do not often match.

And you contradict yourself Van. You now state that "rendered inactive wins hands down." Yet in your OP you were not so bold. Apparently it means "rendered inactive" except when it means:
    1) to render powerless and inoperative
    2) to destroy, abolish, nullify
    3) to separate, sever, or set aside

So with the evidence of your own OP "rendered inactive" certainly does not win hands down.
    You try to force your particular word choices into contexts that make little sense --or are awkward in the extreme.
    A master of exegesis has spoken.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing new or novel or useful, but lots of nonsense. When you consider Rippon's, "Fidelity and concordance often do not match" in light of his seeming inability to do word study, one has to wonder if he could provide examples. :)

If the goal is fidelity and concordance, rendered inactive wins hands down.

Folks, Words have meanings and those meanings have merit.

Consider this, if the meanings of words comes from the context, how do you derive the context. Remember, according to Rippon, none of the words have a meaning unless you know the context. What is the context of blah, blah, blah, blah, blah? Did you understand it to say word meanings are inherent? You supplied the context to decide what it said. This approach to bible study, words get their meanings from the context, is simply a liberal attack on scripture: i.e. decide what you want it to say, and claim it says it because of "context."

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed.
    I have given a number of examples over the years here Van. You are well aware of that fact. But you typically pretend that you don't know. I have given examples of logos and sarx. Charis is another. One cannot simply narrow-down the field as you are wont to do. Fidelity is found within the context of a given passage and trying in vain to use a mere handful of words just will not accomplish common sense meaning.
    "Rendered inactive" takes the proverbial cake.
    Back to your blathering yet again. Try to come up with a new tune. You know what the Word of God says about vain babbling.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past, unreferenced and unavailable, Rippon has demonstrated something other than frequent use of logical fallacies. Judge for yourselves.

Fidelity and concordance in translation of various word meanings go hand in hand, and no examples where they do not will be forthcoming. I expect Rippon has no idea of how to do word studies, let alone assess fidelity and concordance.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they go together like glove and shoe many times.

Contextual concordance is more important than lexical concordance. Fidelity to the original goes hand-in-hand with the former.
    I already referenced logos, sarx and charis in my last post. Are you blind?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of those examples have anything to do with the issue. They demonstrate words have a range of meanings, but not that each of their meanings cannot be translated concordantly and with fidelity.

Lets consider an example, from a lexicon, we learn that "apo" does not include in its range of meanings the idea of "before." But, to satisfy Calvinism's contextual bias, some translators chose to redefine the word to mean what Calvinism would like. Is this sound translation, or corruption? You decide.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they do. You are trying to deny the obvious.
    Think this one through Van. Lexical concordance is not always, or even primarily the best way to approach things. There is more fidelity to the original with contextual concordance --not lexical concordance. A given context determines the intended meaning.

When I had said that "fidelity and concordance often do not match" --I gave several examples. Then you twice denied that I gave the examples --a sample of your dishonesty.

You acknowledged that a Greek word might have a range of meanings. If a translation uses 20 or more English words or phrases in rendering logos --then lexical concordance is nigh-to-impossible. The meaning is found contextually. A wide semantic range logically retutes your view Van.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The person who seems unable to do word studies, not pontificates as if lexical concordance was a concept. And again, unless words have inherent meanings, there is no way to determine the context. The whole premise of Rippon is liberal twaddle.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Well yeah, lexical concordance is a concept. So what? You're making no sense Van.
    Of course words have meaning.The meaning is found within the context of a passage. But you can't just waddle in and decree that your particular word choices are the exact God-given ones. You do not have the right to reject out-of-hand the hard work of real translators as if they are your inferiors.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say my translation choices are the exact God given ones? Nope. [personal attack snipped]

Do any Bible students have the right to reject translation choices and adopt others? I say yes. Dictatorial Elitist would say no. What say you?

#31 Van, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above needs to be heard.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no right to reject translation choices of scholars who have been trained in the discipline --as if they are your inferiors. Using your tired expression of "the full God-intended meaning" indicates that you regard your position as superior to that of actual translators.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now Rippon has become the slave master on the forum plantation, telling others what "rights" we have. Did the NIV deviate from the KJV? Yes. So if a scholar disagrees with another scholar, that is ok. But if a non-scholar agrees with one scholar over and against another scholar, that is not ok, unless it is Rippon saying this translation is better than that one. ok :)

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual (80% of the time or more as an adverb of frequency) you have distorted what I have presented.

The point is, you have regulary, for 3 and a half years disparaged translators and translations. You have said that in many translations Greek words are translated willy-nilly. You have said that translations were corruptions of the original. You have said that translators exhibited a lack of scholarship. You have called translators so-called scholars. You have said that translations have obliterated the message of Scripture.

Don't you remember your own words?

And then you put yourself forward and claim that your word choices were "God's fully intended meaning." You set yourself up as an authority and despise the efforts of actual translators. You regard them as inferior to you and missing the mark with their sloppy decisions.

It's shameful.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This compound word appears in about 26 verses in the NASB, and literally means to make “thoroughly inactive” and has three basic meanings:

1) to render powerless and inoperative.
    2) to destroy, abolish, nullify
    3) to separate, sever, or set aside

Luke 13:7, “… Why does it render inactive the ground?”
    Romans 3:3, “… their unbelief will not render inactive the faithfulness of God.”
    Romans 3:31, “Do we then render inactive the Law through faith?..”
    Romans 4:14, “…faith is made void and the promise rendered inactive.”
    Romans 6:6, “…so that our body of sin might be rendered inactive, so…”
    Romans 7:2, “…she is severed from the Law...”
    Romans 7:6, “…but now we have been severed from the Law…”
    1 Cor. 1:28, “…so that He may render inactive the things that are. “
    1 Cor. 2:6, “…who are being rendered inactive.”
    1 Cor. 6:13, “…God will render inactive both of them.”
    1 Cor. 13:8, “…gifts of prophecy, they will be rendered inactive, and if tongues, they will cease, and if knowledge, it will be rendered inactive.”
    1 Cor. 13:10, “…the partial will be rendered inactive.”
    1 Cor. 13:11, “…when I became a man, I rendered inactive the childish things.”
    1 Cor. 15:24, “…when He has rendered inactive all rule, and all authority and power.”
    1 Cor. 15:26, “…the last enemy that will be rendered inactive is death.”
    2 Cor. 3:7, “…the brightness of his face was being rendered inactive.”
    2 Cor. 3:11, “…if that which is being rendered inactive came with glory…”
    2 Cor. 3:13, “…look intently at what was being rendered inactive.”
    2 Cor. 3:14, “…because it is rendered inactive in Christ.”
    Gal. 3:17, “…so as to render inactive the promise.”
    Gal. 5:4, “…you have been severed from Christ….”
    Gal. 5:11, “…the stumbling block of the cross has been rendered inactive.”
    Eph. 2:15, “…by rendering inactive, in His flesh, the enmity….”
    2 Thess. 2:8, “…and will render inactive by the splendor of His coming.”
    2 Tim. 1:10, “…who rendered inactive death, and….”
    Hebrews 2:14, “…that through His death, He might render inactive him who had the power of death, that is the devil.”

Thus, for G2673 - katargeo, I provided three differing shades of meaning - but based on context, severing or making thoroughly inactive covers the whole gamut.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why you can't use "make deactivate" or "being deactivated" in some form. It's just as silly of a construction as "render inactive. Let's try my silly experiment. Remember, I really don't think it is a good rendering at all. The NASB will be surrounding the "word choices."

Luke 13:7 : Why does it deactivate the ground?
    Romans 3:3 : their unbelief will not deactivate the faithfulness of God.
    Romans 3:31 : Do we then deactivate the Law through faith?
    Romans 4:14 : faith is made void and the promise deactivated.
    Romans 6:6 : so that our body of sin might be deactivated.
    1 Cor. 1:28 : so that He may deactivate the things that are.
    1 Cor. 2:6 : who are being deactivated
    1 Cor. 6:13 : God will deactivate both of them.
    1 Cor. 13:8 : gifts of prophecy, they will be deactivated, and if tongues, they will cease, and if knowledge, it will be deactivated.
    1 Cor. 13:10 : the partial will be deactivated.
    1 Cor. 13:11 : when I became a man, I deactivated the childish things.
    1 Cor. 15:24 : when He has deactivated all rule, and all authority and power.
    1 Cor. 15:26 : the last enemy that will be deactivated is death.
    2 Cor. 3:7 : the brightness of his face was being deactivated.
    2 Cor. 3:11 : if that which is being deactivated came with glory
    2 Cor. 3:13 : look intently at what was being deactivated.
    2 Cor. 3:14 : because it is deactivated in Christ.
    Gal. 3:17 : so as to deactivate the promise.
    Gal. 5:11 : the stumbling block of the cross has been deactivated.
    Eph. 2:15 : by being deactivated in His flesh,
    2 Thess. 2:8 : and will be deactivated by the splendor of His coming.
    2 Tim. 1:10 : who deactivated death,
    Hebrews 2:14 : that through His death, He deactivate him who had the power of death,

I'll let the "severed" go for now.

#37 Rippon, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them folks. The guy who chides others on usage says "make deactivate" rather than make inactive.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had said in post 36 that "deactivate" is just as silly as "render inactive." Both are absurd constructions that no real translations would use.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look up post #36 in this thread, I posted it, not Rippon.
    Next, we get the two wrongs make a right liberal argument. Since "make deactivate" is silly or absurd (see posts #37 and 39) then make inactive is invalidated. :)