1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G3724, “horizo”

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van the evader is bobbin' and-a-weavin' but he can't seem to face facts. He does not want to deal with honest questions like I presented above.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon is trying to change the topic from the word study of G3724, horizo, to anything and everything else. So he charges me with "evading" the subject change. You have got to love them, folks.

Did God specify His plan in Isaiah 53? Just read it folks, and judge for yourselves. Who wants to leave out the fact God had specified how Christ would die? Not me.

Word studies help us reach deeper into God's word, and gather insights that would otherwise escape us. Those that tell you only they are able to understand God's message are springs without water, wandering stars, folks that do not do word studies themselves and seek to block others from word study, lest the truth would set them free from the cleaver stories of men.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then please inform us what in the world you are talking about. What was left out of translations, or the translation (as you said)regarding Isaiah 53? There are 12 verses in that chapter and you haven't explained yourself whatsoever.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God specify in Isaiah 53 how Christ would die? Yes.

Thus when God's inspired word refers to his previously specified plan of putting Christ to death, why not reveal that His plan had been specified in scripture?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is from your post, number 54. You still have not explained yourself. What translation are you speaking of --one translation --or all of them? What verse or verses are you referencing?

What form of words do you want to use in what verse or verses?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change the subject post, with a question that has been asked and answered. Note the use of personal incredulity as a basis of inquiry. :)

Just read the OP folks, the results of my word study, can be considered and evaluated.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly have not changed the subject. You have been mentioning Isaiah 53 in posts 52,54, 56, 62 and 64. And you certainly have not answered my questions regarding your contentions.
    Of course I am incredulous. I certainly am. And that is why I am asking you to explain your unique take regarding Is.53 which you have never been able to do. Because I find your statements regarding Is. 53 to be unbelievable I am on that basis inquiring as to what in the world you are talking about.
    Your OP does not mention Is. 53 --so "folks" won't be able to see any justification for your assertions.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP addresses that God had specified His plan for the death of Christ.

#68 Van, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you Acts 2:23 for your consideration. You can add Acts 4:28.

Your prior knowledge of God is a classic Arminian import. Foreknowledge is not = to prior knowledge.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God had determined and preposed that Jesus would die on the Cross, and sinners made the decision to have Him nailed there!

It was the Will of God that it happened the way that it did, correct?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Yeshua1 God specified His plan in scripture, for example Isaiah 53. Thus when God refers to His specified plan, the translation should make clear that God had specified the plan.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is from post #63 which Van has studiously avoided.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God specified His plan. Then He told us He specified His plan. This truth should not be "studiously avoided" by those who do not seem to even know how to do a word study.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are still shuckin' and jivin' --you have no interest in engaging. What translation or translation leave out something in Isaiah 53 as you have asserted a number of times?

Clarity is a virtue you do not display that often.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More false claims, no quote will be forthcoming. Simply an obvious effort to derail this and other Word study threads.

God specified His plan in Isaiah 53. Then He told us He specified His plan in Acts 2. This truth should not be "studiously avoided" by those who do not seem to even know how to do a word study. To leave out of the Acts 2 translation that God had specified His plan in scripture does not present the full message of God.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Greek word (G3724, horizo) appears, in slightly different forms, in eight verses. Its root meaning is to establish or designate conditions or boundaries. Modern translations translate it with a slew of different words, from ordain, to appoint, to designate, determine, decide, decree, declare, fix and set. If the circumstance refers to a past action of God as revealed in scripture, the idea seems to be “specified.” If a current action, then determined or declared captures the idea of the word. If the action is by people, then “decide or decided” seems like an accurate rendition of the intended word meaning.

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good study, Van! Thanks :thumbs:

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from your post #54. You have left your assertion still without an explanation.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please be specific when explaining your mysterious statements Van.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is from your 28th post Van.

Why you have latched onto specify alone is anyone's guess. There in this post of yours you acknowledge that appoint, decree, determine,and ordain are fair game. But then you turn around and denounce those as "less than the full message of God." You got a heap of explain' to do Van. You contradict yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.