1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G3724, “horizo”

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is indisputable that the wise words of Moises Silva carry considerably more weight than the utterances of the word study novice.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than repeat fallacious arguments, i.e. argument from "an expert", folks should consider improving translations by honoring the goals of fidelity, accuracy, and transparency to the original text. See post #115 for details.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are something else. If there is anything you need, except for less of an ego --you need to respect the words of those such as Dr. Silva. You could actually learn some things that you have not known before.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Silva actually teaches how to discern the true meanings of words as used in scripture.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In post 120, in reponse to my quote of dr. Silva you called it "repeat[ing] fallacious arguments." Now you commend him. Make up your mind Van. You have lost your place. But I am glad that in your latest installment that you agree with his three propositions regarding translators.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arguments from authority, i.e. Dr. Silva's wise words carry more weight, is a logical fallacy. Now to present his ideas, in context, to address the actual topic would be valuable, if because they rang true, they would bolster my view.

Please address why Dr. Silva would write a whole book to help non-Greek reading folks to better understand the meanings of Greek Words, if word studies were not a valuable tool to grow in understanding of the word of God.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give up your junior level philosophy. Fact: Dr. Silva is a noted biblical scholar who knows whereof he speaks --whereas, you do not.
    If they rang true? Ha. If he would say something that differs with your set-in-stone view then Dr. Silva's remarks would be dismissed by you? How modest.

My Dr. Silva quote runs counter to your elevated vision of yourself. You need to deal with reality. All that he said is true and you need to integrate that into your thinking. I know that would be humbling on your part --but necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.