1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wordly music or Christian Lyrics?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by securityofficer2008, Apr 14, 2009.

?
  1. Christian Rock

63.2%
  2. Christian Rap

63.2%
  3. Hymns

100.0%
  4. Southern Gospel

73.7%
  5. No music...just give me preaching

15.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securityofficer2008

securityofficer2008 New Member

There is no place in the Bible that says that drums are satanic. I never brought up drums in any one of my posts. Also, music can attract people. However, would you rather have music attracting them or the Holy Spirit. In order for Salvation to take place a person must be attracted to the Gospel by the Holy Spirit. Music in the Bible is used to worship God, not draw people to Christ.

As for the Scripture basis read 2 Corinthians 6:14-17. We are to be seperate from the world. God saved us from sin and worldly lust, therefore we should not return unto it. This is what I am talking about. You cannot tell me that you can have Christian Rap and Rock Everything that Rock and Rap stands for is against God. Do you know how Rock'n'Roll got its name? Look it up. The things that Rock and Rap stands for is unrighteousness. God stands for righteousness. How can you mix the two?

2. securityofficer2008

Look, I appologize for the insult that were hurled toward everybody. Just to set everyone straight, I am not mad. It may have sounded that way, but I truely am not mad. I am just trying to show you where I am coming from and get you to see my point of view. I appologize for any misunderstood communication that occurred in my posts.

Thanks!

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. securityofficer2008,

If I might suggest... You might want to do some research on the Baptist Board and read the threads that have already been posted about music in the church. Your "arguments" have been made over and over again and those who have been here some time have already heard it all. What we have yet to hear is a good, solid Biblical argument why CCM or Praise and Worship or other contemporary forms of music are evil.

To be honest, we (or at least I) are not interested in anyone's opinions or tastes concerning music in the church. Just simply tell us what the Bible says on the matter. We can understand that you don't like it, but, according to the Bible, why is it evil?

And one more thing... name calling and insults are childish. You will gain absolutely no respect from others with this attitude.

4. securityofficer2008

You are right! This is my point. I do not believe from what I have read from the Scriptures that CCM should be used in worship because it is not appropriate for the Holiness of God. God should not be mixed with the things of this world to provide worship to Him. You brought up an excellent point! Thank you!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet you just told us that it blesses you. Is music used to worship God or bless you?

Is music listed as being of the world? Why is music of the world but not steak? Why is music of the world but not cars? Why is music of the world but not computers and the internet? Honestly, the internet is WAY more worldly than music but you seem to be OK with it because you are here.

The music I listen to is not worldly. It is not pleasing to the world because of Who it is about. I do not sing as the world sings because every word I sing is directed as praise to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. That is not worldly.

6. securityofficer2008

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there it is... it's not that it's new, or worldly, or contemporary, or has certain instruments... it's that doggone evil rock and rap music. Well, do you know what the main component of these genre's is? The rhythm section... mostly drums. You are indirectly saying that drums/rhythm is evil, yet also admit there is no place in the bible saying they're bad.

8. securityofficer2008

Music is used to worship God. Once it is used to worship God and done in the right way, it will be a blessing to you.

Music is viewed as a worldly thing. Go to the mall and see how many people are at a music store or how many people have earphones in their ears listening to music. You do not worship God through having a piece of steak (as far as bringing it to church and eating it there). You do not use your car to worship God (although your car takes you to worship God). You do not use your computer to worship God (although a computer can be used to research a topic that is going to be preached). When you worship God through music it is different than steak, your car, and the computer. These things are not related so why do you even bring them up?

You talk about me having no grace, love, and fellowship through what I say, but then you list rediculous stuff to try to discredit what I am saying. Prove to me where your love and compassion for fellow believers is on this one.

9. securityofficer2008

Tell me that everything that is associated with Rock or Rap music is true, honest, just, pure, lovely, or of good report. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsover things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise; think on these things." Philippinas 4:8.

10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same can be said with any other genre though. You can take ANY style of music with lyrics and make it into something good or something bad.

I've heard plenty of sinful songs that were nothing but a singer and an acoustic guitar, or even a singer and a piano. Actually there's plenty of sinful Irish bar tunes that are nothing but singers. I know someone who is in a really talented bluegrass band and they've got some sinful songs. I know some other people who are in a hillbilly type of acoustic band and they've got sinful songs.

The genre isn't what is sinful, it's the song's message on an individual case. I mean, with your logic, if you hear an old gospel tune being played by a great bluegrass band, that's bad, since it satisfies the flesh, plus it has the same general musical feel as some sinful songs in that bluegrass band I mentioned.

#50 corndogggy, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm - and there are sinners in your church who will go out and fornicate later. How would you describe this?

As for the name, even the name Christian was a derogatory term. I don't call my music "rock and roll" - I call it worship.

#51 annsni, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You'd have to know me. I can't prove to you anything online. But I know that I will worship the Lord God through song - and most likely songs you do not like. That is fine. I do not say that you must worship with my music. I do not say that hymns are wrong although some are theologically thin. But I see that you will not offer the same grace to me but instead tell me that I'm wrong and that I have a foot in the world which is so far from the truth it's not funny.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tell me that everything associated with church is true, honest, just, pure, lovely or of good report. That every one of your congregants are perfect. They're not. What do we say of these things?

My music IS pure, lovely, good report, honest....and most of all, true worship of the Creator of all things.

14. securityofficer2008

What is your deal? I never said that I would not offer you the same grace. You are putting words in my mouth to make me sound bad. If you want to listen to your style of music, that is fine. You will have to give an account for your life as I will have to do the same for mine.

I do agree that some hymns are thin in their theology. Not all hymns are perfect either. I do not sing these type of hymns just as you only sing the music that worships Christ our Lord and Savior. I am not going to change your opinion and you are not going to change my opinion. Why don't we both pray about it and ask God to reveal what type of worship music is right for Him? Let's do it.

15. securityofficer2008

If you could take out the words of your music what would it sound like? Would it sound like rock and roll? If it sounds like Rock and Roll then it is. If someone that was living on the street was to approach your car while you were playing your music, would they say that it is good Christian music that God likes or would they say that it was Rock and Roll.

16. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already prayed about it - over 25 years ago when I began in the ministry as a Music Minister. I believe that Ann has prayed about it also. So has the others in this thread.

Music is a tool. It can either carry a secular message or a sacred message. It's kind of like a car - it can carry a preacher or a drug dealer. The car is neither good or bad - the occupants are.

The style makes no difference. If you don't like a particular style, that's fine. But, just because you don't like it doesn't make it evil.

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So rock music even with no lyrics is evil?

What, in your opinion, should people listen to in their free time anyway?

18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again... what makes you think that you know what God likes?

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Mr SO...

Thanks for your apology. And welcome to the Baptistboard.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Read Psalm 150. That is what my music is.

Take the words out of your Bible and what do you have? A book. What difference does that make?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.